can anyone identify these little guys

Kgrows

Sup peeps!

while flushing to correct ph, a few things came out of my medium. these pots have a layer of compost in them, which i'm guessing is where they came from, good or bad sign? good or bad insect? if bad, could they have spread to my other plants & how do i get rid of them if i need to?

• Like 1

Looks like wood lice, I do not think they are good.

A google search seems to say they eat the roots of plants, bio neem seems to be a solution. Perhaps pyrol too if you want something organic.

But I could be very wrong about what it is. Regardless, I feel Bio Neem is a decent organic pesticide for a lot of common pests. Pyrol is a good alternative too.

Edited by PsyCLown
  • Like 2

@PsyCLown Thanks! the white ones look like woodlice but i'm worried about the grey ones. I dont use neem, look up azadirachtin poisoning. Especially in the root zone. I do use pyrethrum though, although i'm not a fan of using pesticides on the roots, cannabis is a phytoremediator, so it sucks everything up thats in the medium. i'm thinking i might hydrogen peroxide wash through then repot into new medium 

@Kgrows those are arthropods, most likely springtails, they are too cool, love the white one.

They are beneficial buggos that live in the soil helping to break down the matter in there, if you wanted to be living soil, thats the right stuff.

I would not disturb them. There are loads of different kinds (There are about 3,600 different species), always in the compost.

You can read more about em here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springtail

Edited by Dank
added - There are about 3,600 different species
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Dank said:

@Kgrows those are arthropods, most likely springtails, they are too cool, love the white one.

They are beneficial buggos that live in the soil helping to break down the matter in there, if you wanted to be living soil, thats the right stuff.

I would not disturb them. There are loads of different kinds (There are about 3,600 different species), always in the compost.

You can read more about em here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springtail

@Dank shot bru! I thought it may have been a part of the web, was more concerned that they were root aphids or something similar.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Kgrows said:

@Dank shot bru! I thought it may have been a part of the web, was more concerned that they were root aphids or something similar.

No probs, just keep an eye on them, most likely as the conditions get dryer at the top they will go back into the medium.

If they are running on the plant, send me a mention cause then its most likely some other critter, those in the vid I know are part of the composting crew.

:-puffin