your thoughts on led us hps

nakes

Hi everyone, I know I'm opening a can of worms here but what are your thoughts on hps vs led? I know consumption of led is less and heat. Just would like to know what the people who use led or hps have to say about their preffered lights. I just want to figure out what I have to get hos or led. I don't what's to buy something  then I'm not happy with the results.

Peace and love to you all......

@CreX did some measurements on his 250W HPS and the actual draw from the wall was 650W - that is stupid.

Let's say 1560w to run a 600W HPS. That is 1.56kw per hour.

12 hours a day brings us to 18.72Kwh

30 days a month ends up at 561.6kwh

Let's work on a rough R2.20 per kwh, brings you to R1 235.52 per month.

I wouldn't consider HPS, I love my LED's too much. The efficiency is tops and the lack of heat and the extra height you can gain etc.

480W of decent LED's would equal a 600W HPS give or take. Let's say you have an efficiency of around 95% I think that will work out to a draw of around 504W from the wall. The end result costs you R427.68 per month to run the LED's.

It's really a very easy choice to make. In a few months you'd have made your money back on the LED's compared to the HPS.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I don't like Hps because of the orange light and I don't like cheap LED's because of the blurple light. 

I'm a huge fan of CMH best spectrum at the price and use Samsung led to supplement. CMH creates less heat than hps and is more efficient even Gavita launched cmh fixtures now. 

• Like 1

So quick correction on PsyCLown.. 

Initial current is 3A but it tapers down to 2.4A~ which brings the watts down to 500w and not 650... Minor improvement... But still very very inifficient. 

I agree, LED is the way to go... But the HID lighting has given a huge contribution to indoor growing... So it's not fair to be terribly critical. 

Sadly, LED's are super expensive to buy in the layout.. It's almost offputing... 

But sourcing the parts and importing makes things much cheaper and cost friendly. 

• Like 1

Hey Crex, coming from an HID background, I fully agree, it played a massive role in the evolution of grow lights. But when it's time to upgrade.....

LED is like a new little sportscar, smaller, lighter, sexier. :)
Truth be told, if I wasn't limited to space, I'd probably still be running HID.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

There are pro's and cons i would imagine, to both hps and led.

Big warehouse in Colorado pumping shittons of Gravita watts, just saying.

If room is too cold hps is boss, if room is to hot led will always be king, my 2cents.

• Agree 2

For sure! 

And there's start up costs... 

Granted, LEDs are becoming cheaper and cheaper by the year, they have amazing efficiency... Cost less to run... It really is a no brainer... 

You can get them in any spectrum you want... Geez the list goes on... 

But if you are on a budget... HPS start up costs are still really low, and the results are decent... But when you work hard and have a bit of extra bucks... Upgrading to LED is a smart move

• Like 1