Gardening Hacks

Oolong83

Hey Guys

@420SA @highchome @Green Leaf Organics @greenkush @Bospatrollie2@Trailblazer420@PsyCLown@CleanGreen @SkunkPharm @nakes @CreX @Totemic @AcidAlice

@CaNaWidow @CanabisScialGrpSuthAfrica @Dabtzar @DaFish @DaggaBoy @Daggaman @farmaBrown @Farmer Frank @False_axis @Hansom1 @Happee @iGrow @iGrowDagga @icu2 @jabulanithehutt @Jacques @Malice_420 @Nama420 @ODDGRO @RampageZA @Sacred Seeds @S420 @S!ckN!ck @ydt @YourStonedBuddy @Zaskar09 @Za_Organic420 @Za Weed Lover

Not sure where exactly to go with this, General discussion just doesn't feel right.

Okay, so what I'm attempting here will require everyone to get involved. I would like this tread to be for us to share any new tricks we learned in the garden that could help the rest improve or make things simpler. Also any experimenting with something new? Learned a new trick that can save you money? Share it here, let us all see what you up to. 

I hope this works and becomes a thread full of useful garden hacks.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• 420SA pinned this topic
2 hours ago, Oolong83 said:

So i will start us off with this video i wathced on Youtube, would like to get your thoughts on this.

using Aspirin in your garden. it should work on Cannabis, right?

@Oolong83  Am not a fan of anything pharmaceutical but yah seen guys that have success with Aspirin.

I use cheap hormone powder, also seen guys using Aloe plant sap to root. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CreX said:

Stick a cutting in a bag with a bit of tap water and give it some time on the outskirts of your grow lights. 

@CreX do cuttings that size often grow well? Do you use rooting hormone  and do you open for /change the water at any point?

That looks amazingly simple, I'll be trying that

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CleanGreen said:

@Oolong83  I can see this tread becoming a complete mess lol

@CreX Nice idea .....Cute man, she so tiny!

My clones below, took 4 WEEKS to give roots! was worried sick. Rooting in summer took only two weeks.

_SAM8133.thumb.JPG.573d6f59bc3095a5680cdedb2c8635f1.JPG

I have read that cutting leaves / removing leaves can help the plant root quicker, less energy spent on photosynthesis and more on forming roots.

I took some cutting and they had roots pushing through the jiffy pellets after 2 weeks, they're almost 3 weeks old now and in soil already.

Although I am about to build a bubble cloner, so will see how that works in comparison. I try and ensure few / small leaves on my clones.

Below is a pic of 2 cuttings I took tonight, before I cut / their leaves off, the tips mostly. I put them straight into soil though in this case.

IMG_20190807_214141.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Spot on, many growers actually trim the tips of the leaves to allow more focus on the roots and less on the leaves. Personally, I leave one fan leaf and the new growth. I don't generally cut the tips unless it's a space issue in my dome. I don't like the leaves touching each other too much.

Gel, powder and peat pellets. Make sure the water you soak in is correct ph, dip cutting in gel and then in dynaroot no2. 12 days from snipping to transplanting, some of the eager plants can be transplanted after 10 days. If my clones haven't rooted within 14 days, they are disposed of.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CleanGreen said:

@Oolong83  I can see this tread becoming a complete mess lol

i dont doubt that, hopefully if that happens maybe 420 will make a separate category for this purpose. Obviously only if its a successful and worth it.

No point in having a thread with just a lot kak and not informative. So far been getting some nice ideas. Love Crex's idea, will definitely give it a shot.

Lets keep those ideas coming guys.

ALTERNATIVE TO PERLITE

and it wont cost you a cent.........

1. Styrofoam as Perlite Substitute. Perlite is excellent for amending soil used for container grown plants and for starting seedlings in a soil or soiless medium. ... Blending for about 1-2 minutes and then draining in a sieve will give you a nice Perlite substitute. It has the consistency of coarse sand, but very lightweight.

2. Rice hulls share similar physical properties with perlite and may be substituted for it in fresh or parboiled forms. Because parboiling rice subjects it to steam pressure, which kills all weed or rice seeds, it is preferred over fresh rice in potting mixes.

3. All natural cat litter. (Calcined clay.)Your plants will dig it.

4Pumice is the better choice for sandy soils because it greatly increases water-holding capacity. Both pumice and perlite help improve soil drainage and increase oxygen levels in clay soils. Pumice particles are larger than perlite and less likely to blow away in windy areas.

5. Crushed glass also works.

6. Biochar can be used. just crush it up, but be cautious as it will absorb nutes. From what ive read you only need to apply about 10% to mix.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stinger96 said:

Would this not be awesome for indoor? I prefer outdoor. But when I saw this I thought you indoor guys would love this..

https://m.takealot.com/#!product?id=PLID49530770

:-peace

I use one of these:

https://www.takealot.com/goldair-fan-heater-upright-white/PLID38673379

More powerful, has a built in thermostat and it's relatively cheap.

Just unscrew it and cut the LED to not disturb your grow. Works really well, I place it behind one of my oscillating fans to get a more even heat in the grow area.

• Like 2

Would like some opinions on this.

Companion plants to plant WITH Cannabis.

I dont know if you guys are aware of this, unlike other plants beans collect nitrogen through their leaves and store it in their roots, as a result a lot of that nitrogen is released into the soil. My question then is......

1. if 1 beanstalk with my cannabis, would this increase growth for the cannabis?

2. could it lead to nitrogen toxicity? 

3. Would this mess with flowering?

I am currently planting some beans next to my tomatoes for this exact purpose.

Doubt whether the N levels would be a problem for cannabis. Check out

''the trinity'' corn,beans,squash- actually a clever idea in theory. Might try something similar.

Usually crops are rotated anually or

bi-anually for this reason. Otherwise the fields/soil needs to lay fallow in order to recover or you risk depleting the soil completely.

Think the only issue would be the beans entangled in your buds

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 07 August 2019 at 1:35 PM, CleanGreen said:

@Oolong83  Am not a fan of anything pharmaceutical but yah seen guys that have success with Aspirin.

I use cheap hormone powder, also seen guys using Aloe plant sap to root. 

Aloe sap and cinnamon powder work well as rooting hormone...

4 X hot chillies, 4 X garlic cloves ( chop chop ) boil/steep for an hour or 2 on stove med heat. Strain off solids and store in fridge..

Take a big pinch of tobacco ( boxer ) add to 2lt water and steep over night, strain off tobacco.

add 10-20ml chilli mix, 1 tbs cooking oil, 1 tbs dish soap to the 2lt tobacco water and you have a decent pest spray for the outdoor girls...

Apple cider and hydrogen peroxide work well for powdery mildew...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2019 at 2:00 PM, CreX said:

Stick a cutting in a bag with a bit of tap water and give it some time on the outskirts of your grow lights. 

IMG-20190807-WA0022.jpg

:-bankie:goodposting Dude this is champ! @CreX I have had some seeds germinate in a baggie that went through the wash, defs trying this ASAP.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Smelly Joe said:

And....... emoji53.png

Meh... Nothing yet. 

But it's still alive, and the stem isn't soggy either... 

So even longer I will give her... 

Im so tempted to put it in my bubble cloner and just get it done! 

But I have a point to make now... 

I have done this before and it worked... But I also forgot about it for every long and then when I eventually came back to find it... It had roots. 

So by now you have realized that this isnt the fastest way to clone. 

But it does open the door for couriers, as you can comfortably send a fresh cutting,if you wanted, to anywhere locally really and the guy on the other end can do as he pleases. Even if it gets stuck somewhere... A week, 2 weeks... The cutting will come out just fine. 

As soon as I have roots I will post pics👌

• Thanks 1