identify

MissMayhem

hey guys, keep finding these weird winged bugs on my plants, assuming they might be female aphids with wings, as I found a small green bug too, too small to get focus on it with the camera. also some black spotting on a few leaves. I've been using bio neem from Jaimes, first spray was around 3ml/L, increased it to 5ml, sprayed the leaves at sunset 3 times in the last 5 days, but these bugs persist. clears up for a day after the neem, but the neem doesn't seem too effective. any ideas or suggestions? thanks guys, appreciate any input 😃 first pics are of the bugs, last one is the black spotting.

DSCN1799.JPG

DSCN1800.JPG

DSCN1803.JPG

• Like 1

Karbadust or diatomaceous earth. Its composed of microscopic exoskeletons and dices and shreds the gnats.

Sprinkle liberally on soil surface. 

The gnats eat fungus in the soil, so they aren't attacking your plants directly in anyway.

Edited by Totemic
  • Thanks 2

After some more investigation, I think it's gnats. Found a couple of winged aphids and they looked completely different. Seems we have a bit of a pest problem. Don't have any companion plants, or plants thb, just grass. Bio diversity is awful, looking at other put door grows, I feel sad for my plants. 😞. I have my plant in the ground, not pots. Did some reading and think I will water less and do a neem drench when she's dry. The neem really isn't doing much with the pest problems though.

• Like 1

If they aren't a real problem, should I consider leaving them as bait for good critters? Would prefer to do less and let nature take care of it and step in when I have to. 

On a side note, when moving the soil to look for larvae, I found what appeared to be reddish mites or something. Looked like arachnids of some sort. 

Edited by MissMayhem
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Totemic said:

Karbadust or diatomaceous earth. Its composed of microscopic exoskeletons and dices and shreds the gnats.

Sprinkle liberally on soil surface. 

The gnats eat fungus in the soil, so they aren't attacking your plants directly in anyway.

Chitin 👌

2 hours ago, MissMayhem said:

I actually have some karbadust from when my dog had fleas. How would I go about applying it?

Like Totemic said sprinkle a thin layer of it on the surface of the soil. Also look at some sticky traps, they work well too

• Like 1

If they aren't a real problem, should I consider leaving them as bait for good critters? Would prefer to do less and let nature take care of it and step in when I have to. 

On a side note, when moving the soil to look for larvae, I found what appeared to be reddish mites or something. Looked like arachnids of some sort. 
Reddish mites....? Red spider mites. They are usually found on the undersides of the leaves. Any pics?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

46 minutes ago, Bospatrollie2 said:

Reddish mites....? Red spider mites. They are usually found on the undersides of the leaves. Any pics?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

There weren't any on the leaves, just in the soil. Think they might be soil mites. Couldn't take pictures of them, camera won't focus on anything that small