Testing new things

Smelly Joe

Hey all

So I changed my way of cloning or at least looking at other ways to get faster and better rooting. So I jumped on Google and logged onto the hydro store and ordered something.

a9414ee93e05d91c34b0040fefb2e72b.jpg

I read about these and thought why not. It's not that expensive and if it works then it's a win win for me.

49c2ffdae63be70ee4c80b218f70fa7a.jpg

51443ff2d8397cb390987ffd113c44b0.jpg

425147bf72c509a90a5f1279b82de46a.jpg

They are small and will fit any sized dome for any space I think.

5ba7f688e26e904d178174203284afe3.jpg

5a3e23a3621a7f44a908936d10c2c2eb.jpg

They soaked up the water within 30 seconds

1eaf9329783b0fbbb859b19eaddd9022.jpg

I added some rooting gel to the cart to make things more legit. My rooting powder was old and might have been the fault in my link.

84661c0234aa1bdf87e1f97eee84e9cf.jpg

This is the giver of cuttings today. Mendocino Skunk

e2ff72b381fdfdf0ac940e79c9c73da0.jpg

And lastly the dome. Just had to get it. LoL

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Kept on checking the temps and found its getting hotter than it's supposed to. The temps was reading 28 but I sorted it out and its at 24 now. I raised the dome with the help of a washing pin. According to the manufacturer of these heating mats they will reach a temp of 22C but can reach 30 if using a thermostat. Maybe my thermometer is faulty. I have been meani g to get a new hygrometer but haven't gotten to it yet.

Anyway I will let you know how things turn out in a week or more

I use easy plugs. Took clones last saterday and 11of twelve clones at rooted all ready. Will probability see roots on day 10 or 11. So I give them a gentle pull to see if they are stuck to the plug, if the are stuck you know they are rooted. I spray them with 1ml kelpak and 1ml Explogrow in 500ml rain water. Normally get 95-100% success rate. The other thing people do not tell you is keep your vents of your humidity dome completely open from the start. I find clones root faster this way.e34173251cdcbb119fe8ad09ad09e866.jpg

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, SkunkPharm said:

I use easy plugs. Took clones last saterday and 11of twelve clones at rooted all ready. Will probability see roots on day 10 or 11. So I give them a gentle pull to see if they are stuck to the plug, if the are stuck you know they are rooted. I spray them with 1ml kelpak and 1ml Explogrow in 500ml rain water. Normally get 95-100% success rate. The other thing people do not tell you is keep your vents of your humidity dome completely open from the start. I find clones root faster this way.e34173251cdcbb119fe8ad09ad09e866.jpg

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I even added 4 extra breather holes along the bottom of my lid to allow more fresh air in.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well nothing rooted. Not one fucking cutting took. I had to wait for the mothers to grow a bit more. They started growing slowly but growth started picking up again after a nice flush.

The plant on top side is the Shiskaberry and the smaller one is a Mendicino Skunk. The Mendicino Skunk will be transplanted to a bigger pot tomorrow. The Shiskaberry was transplanted to pure Vermiculite. Kinda like a hempy mother thing. Don't think she likes it to much.....

9a66f49128277a4b965a7864bf1b3dff.jpg

I filled a bucket with water and dropped my aquarium heater in there and set the temps to 24C and with that I added the air stone just to bubble out any unwanted stuff. Then I started feeding at 1/4 strength and things are looking good. I cleaned up some of my indoor ladies and added 3 x Monster Gorilla Cuttings to the dome

673a48a8537dba168b506184e682ccb0.jpg

I only misted the 1st set if cuttings because I took them this afternoon and by the time I took the 2nd batch the spray bottle was filled with Ludwig's Insect Spray and it was late. So I'll mist them tomorrow.

Best light cycle for cuttings???

So that's it from my side. I'm tired, stoned and off to bed.

Stay Safe, Stay Lit, Stay True To You.

I have my cuttings in my veg tent, I find it is the easiest as the RH is higher so it helps.
I don't use a dome anymore, just makes the cuttings "weak" and they rely on you babying them then.

My cuttings are on an 18/6 cycle, no issues. I doubt 24/0 makes them root faster.

Edited by PsyCLown
  • Like 1

So when you take cuttings again, give this a try - even if it is only on some and not all of them.

Put the cuttings straight into some tap water, leave it for 12 - 24 hours (not longer) and then put your cloning powder / gel on and then into the eazy plugs / jiffies / soil / bubble cloner etc. DO NOT cover them with a humidity dome but keep them in your veg area. You will not have to baby them, they will not flop down and will root pretty easily.

I am now using a bubble cloner, I much prefer it over jiffy pellets and rapid rooters and soil. I like that I can watch and see when there are roots and it's super easy, no maintenance required at all. Just put them in and leave them until roots have formed then plant them. I created a thread where I built my bubble cloner, it's really easy and not all that expensive.

My success rate has been super high. So far the only cuttings I had to throw away were the 4 corners on in my bubble cloner - when I tested it I realized there were not enough bubbles getting to the corners and then 1 cutting I took from a plant which was very unhappy. I did not take good care of the cutting either so it was tossed.

The rest have all taken or are still alive. That is over 36 cuttings so far.

• Agree 1

OK cool. I will give that a go with the next batch of cuttings. My Shiskaberry Mother is growing a bit slow and I suspect her to be a bit root bound. I can repot her but she is in clean vermiculite. I am waiting for 1 o clock for light to come on, then I'll take her,remove her from verm, root prune and repot. If she dies, we'll then I have 1 cutting that took.

DO you prefer cuttings that has a thicker harder stem or softer stem???

I like to take pretty large cuttings... 15-20cm even... 

Cuttings take fastest from healthy branches. 

Depending on growth rate... The stems can be softer rather than woody. 

But in the bubble cloner, everything will root in time😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smelly Joe said:

Dome doesn't allow for length unfortunately

I haven't used a dome in years... 

Listen to PsyCLown with the hardening off process. 

And if you can... Build a mini bubbler... It will change your life haha

• Like 1

So should I just leave it like that until tomorrow or so???
4085f8d46cfed0cf561972c03bd19488.jpg

Yea, looks perfect.

Then into some rooting powder / gel and then into the medium of choice (soil, jiffy, bubbler etc.)

No need for a dome. Just ensure the medium stays moist, put them in with your veg plants as that should help keep the humidity higher.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1