Any thoughts

Oolong83

14 minutes ago, Oolong83 said:

seems going with organic nutes is the safer and better option?

Let me be the voice of dissent :classic_tongue: (though there are way more experienced growers here so you should probably rather listen to them...) I think it depends on you, your interests and which tradeoffs you want to make.

I've gone with pure coco/perlite & inorganic nutrients and personally I've found that much simpler than the issues I was having with soil. I like having the control and being involved daily, and using the inorganic nutrients is extremely simple. The cost being daily (usually more) waterings and more EC & Ph checks etc, all of which I really enjoy

With soil & organics you get a whole other set of things to think about, like how the soil bacteria break down the organics and make it bioavailable for the plants. So if you find that interesting there is so much to learn there. You get less frequent waterings as a benefit etc. 

Not sure that was helpful 🙂 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, highchome said:

Let me be the voice of dissent :classic_tongue: (though there are way more experienced growers here so you should probably rather listen to them...) I think it depends on you, your interests and which tradeoffs you want to make.

I've gone with pure coco/perlite & inorganic nutrients and personally I've found that much simpler than the issues I was having with soil. I like having the control and being involved daily, and using the inorganic nutrients is extremely simple. The cost being daily (usually more) waterings and more EC & Ph checks etc, all of which I really enjoy

With soil & organics you get a whole other set of things to think about, like how the soil bacteria break down the organics and make it bioavailable for the plants. So if you find that interesting there is so much to learn there. You get less frequent waterings as a benefit etc. 

Not sure that was helpful 🙂 

Well said @highchome I also enjoyed growing in hydro and enjoyed the control. You do feel a little more involved. It took a lot for me to switch over to soil, it really is about letting go. Starting off in hydro had also gotten me used to the cleanliness of hydro. Something you have to sacrifice with soil as it does end up making your grow area/tent a lot more "dirty", in a good way of course. 

What switched me over to organics was kids. Don't have the time for hydro no more!

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Oolong83 said:

How about using coco mix with organic nutes?

Not really something I would recommend. Organic nutes like Biobizz are meant to supplement the soils food web and not be a complete feeding solution on its own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, 420SA said:

Not really something I would recommend. Organic nutes like Biobizz are meant to supplement the soils food web and not be a complete feeding solution on its own.

Also many of the organics are not bio-available as is and I don't think coco is idea for the soil bacteria to grow in, esp with the constant watering. However I've heard a few people talking about it, though I've not paid much attention. I think some of the people at cocoforcannabis did it if you want to check. Also remember it has to be pure coco/perlite anything else in the mix (soil etc) could change things a lot. Personally I'd rather pick a lane and go with one of the well tested paths unless you are doing it just to learn

14 minutes ago, 420SA said:

What switched me over to organics was kids. Don't have the time for hydro no more!

I hear you 🙂, a great example of optimising for your situation. My daughter is a little older now, so I've got way more time that I did when she was small. I'd say that atm I'm spending 20 mins twice a day and ~45 mins a week max mixing ferts with coco/perlite. And I would like to automate the watering at some point so that should make it pretty easy. But that is exactly the kind of thing you can optimise for when selecting what works for you

• Agree 1

im always on a learning path, but i will stick to cocomix, however my mix is coco/perlite/soil (50%/30%/20%).

this could be causing some issues, right? stick to EHG nutes for now? Luckily i got outdoor plants too, so the organic nutes i will use on them.

Will look at Upgrades and improvements when the next paycheck comes in.

57 minutes ago, Oolong83 said:

however my mix is coco/perlite/soil (50%/30%/20%).

Yup, I would guess that changes things a lot. The 30-50% perlite is added to the coco to make it drain better / have more air. So the medium is always wet but there is enough air to prevent the roots drowning. Also the good drainage means that you are constantly flushing out build up (target ~20% runoff per feed + occasional larger flushes if needed). I think that adding soil will change all of that a lot, possibly you now have a good draining soil grow rather than a hydro grow with coco/perlite. Again there is no issue if that is what you are after but I don't think you can then follow the advice from the coco growers

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few possibilities, could be the ph of the medium in the pot is off due too whatever reason and she is not feeding well.

Could be she is a lighter/heavier feeder than the rest of em.

If the ph of the pot is good i would say she is hungry.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Agreed with the pH issues... 

PH issues normally exhibit signs of micro nutrient deficiency, which is what I see. 

When older growth looks better than the new growth you must know that it's either PH or an imbalance of nutrients. 

I would get a reading on the pH. And if it's out, correct it... And then after a week if the issues haven't gone away... Colour has not returned to the new growth... I would flush the fuck out of the container... And start your feeding regime.. 

What have you got to feed her? 

And do you have a pH meter? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Oolong83 there is a few possible scenarios in my mind.

It could be a genetic trait, what usually gets referred to as a freak or mutant.

It could also be that the soil is still too hot for whatever reason, decomposing matter, fresh ammendments, etc.

If it is getting the exact same soil as other plants could be that it is more sensitive to nutrients and experiencing a kind of deformity or clawing (similiar to hot soil) as it sometimes get referred to.

A bit early so I might be wayyy offf, peace and buds bro. :-greenthumb

• Thanks 1

Yip, unfortunately are on the money. Those are balls below the pistils.

Shit happens to all of us.
Chopped a large plant yesterday, it went into preflower, good pistil development and yesterday afternoon I noticed some balls.

Didn't want to chance it with 4 other girls in various stages of flower.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1