Bubble cloner v2

highchome

My previous attempt to build a cloner was ok-ish but it was a bit of a pain to work with. I've just thrown together a different and very DIY one and I'm pretty happy with the results

The biggest issue I had was the polystyrene holders for the clones. This time I used a foam knee pad as the base.

image.png.a279a8a7544ed0976cdad3910b75e787.png

I cut circles in it by using the bottom of a silicone tube, even the hole making is DIY...

image.png.8dfa40e2b878722fa8f92721802f01c2.png

I drilled a hole in each foam disk, and cut from the centre to one edge. This make a perfect holder for the stems and is easy to put back in the hole.

The final result looks like this

image.png.61d526046fcfceb3b3c3664949c6f57b.png

• The bottom container is filled with water
  • Fish tank heater
  • Air pump and two large air stones - the bubbler part 
  • The foam pad rests on the water, so the stems are submerged
  • Clear container of the same size used as the humidity dome
  • Low wattage CFL light, resting on the block of wood to keep the heat of of the box

I've just planted cloned a few of the plants, so I'm hoping I'll be seeing roots in about a week.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It took a bit longer than expected, probably because of the low ambient temperature despite the fish tank heater in the water. But good results, 100% of the 14 clones grew. I've given away a few and trashed a couple who's mothers were actually fathers. Below is a pic of what the roots look like, I'm potting the remaining ones today

image.png.e47fe5d3eb496f031a70f01a71160185.png 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

That looks great man!! 

My bubble cloner is almost identical... Except I have had limited success with stems in the water... First few cutting experiments went great... But then started with the soggy stems and they shouldn't go away... 

How has your cloner been working since you built it? 

31 minutes ago, CreX said:

I have had limited success with stems in the water.

When I made the first version I looked around and could not find any solid advice on in vs out of the water. I ended up going with in the water because I was not getting enough bubbles to keep the stems wet.

32 minutes ago, CreX said:

How has your cloner been working since you built it? 

It has worked really well actually, so far I'd guess about 19/20 clones succeeded. I've got three more that I've just put into coco so hopefully that is another three successfully cloned. The did take really long to start rooting this time though, I'm assuming because its winter. I'd say about 7-10 days for the root nubs to start and then another 5 before there was enough of a root to justify planting them out. I do have a fishtank heater in the water, but that can only do so much.

I think next time I clone a few I'll see if keeping the lid open sooner helps the growth get started.

What are your timelines / process like?

• Like 1

So my cloner is pretty much the same except for the stems in the water... 

I keep the stems suspended a few mm above the water surface and let the bubbles pop and spit onto the stems... 

This keeps them moist, but not soaking.. 

Like this I can see roots in as little as 3 days from cutting it off the plant.. 

Check out PsyCLowns bubbler cloner... It's the same everything as mine... And he just got roots in under a week with no rooting hormone at all😉 @PsyCLown

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...