420SA

Your thoughts on bidding in the classifieds

Before I set some rules down for the classifieds I want to run something by you guys.

I'm thinking of having a bid system in place but I may be shortsighted on the possible issues it may cause. It won't apply to every posting and members can indicate whether they don't want any bidding on their sales.

The process will be simple. A member posts up their advert with pics and details as well as a mandatory reserve price (minimum amount the seller will accept). Other members can then post up their bids by replying to the thread until the seller is satisfied with a bid and the sale will be closed.

Lemme know your thoughts

36 minutes ago, Green Leaf Organics said:

Maybe a classified section where certain rules apply and you just sell something and then an auction section with its own set of rules . Just putting ideas out there 

That could work yes

1 hour ago, 420SA said:

Other members can then post up their bids by replying to the thread until the seller is satisfied with a bid and the sale will be closed

Would a fixed close date make sense? Otherwise once someone bids the seller could just sit on the thread for any period of time waiting for more money and the person who bid is then committed for an unknown period of time. Perhaps that is over complicating things but I think that is why most systems have a close date

• Agree 1

Auctions often need to be run differently, the last thing you want is for someone to try and get a higher price by having their friend "bid" to increase the price.

To be honest, I am not sure it is a featured needed on the forum right now as the classifieds isn't the busiest and the forum is still growing. How many "bid wars" will actually be held? If someone wins the bid and does not want to make plans to meet up ASAP or make payment it can cause delays and if they do not take the item and someone else was interested it can lead to a missed sale as that other willing party could end up purchasing the same item new due to time restraints.

If you take a car auction for example, you need to pay a deposit and then if you win the bid and do not take the items you lose your deposit and have to pay 10% of the bid amount and get banned from all future auctions.

If someone is willing to accept a certain price for their item but would rather try get more, then they should rather advertise it at a higher price and if it does not sell in a week or so they can drop the price. Also if someone is interested in a particular item, no reason they cannot PM the seller and ask if they are willing to accept a lower price.

Auctions can get messy and cause issues. This is not even a classifieds site, I say keep it simple.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Carbonite has an awesome rating system, where you develop trust through successful sales interactions. That would be awesome if it were viable in the foreseeable future.

2 hours ago, MrE said:

Carbonite has an awesome rating system, where you develop trust through successful sales interactions. That would be awesome if it were viable in the foreseeable future.

I agree with this. They're a dedicated classifieds forum, although once again no auction system in place.

I honestly do not see the need for an auction system on a cannabis forum and feel it will either not really take off as not enough people bidding or just over complicating things.

If you look at bidorbuy or eBay, often the price of the auction increases significantly in the last 5 minutes of it being active with little to no activity a few days from the auction ending.

• Agree 1

Thanks for the feedback guys I reckon its best to keep it simple then. Perhaps something could be worked in later on but straight forward classifieds will do. I am part of various groups on FB(non cannabis related) where a bidding system for used goods is executed well without much fuss at all. Hence my thoughts on something similar here but yea not right now...

Completely overlooked the moderation side of it all too. Thanks again for the feedback.

• Like 1

@420SA 

i know those groups very well, my wife is constantly on Tableview auctions. 

these groups however are area specific and have very strict rules, that if you dont obey you get banned from group and possibly FB.

A auction section on this forum will be covering the whole country and not just a specific area. The auctions will have be regularly monitored by admin. you will have to settle disputes, enforce the rules and give punishment when due. Do you really want to add all that onto your load?

I agree with@PsyCLown , no need for it, the classifieds works fine for now, if it aint broke dont fix it. lol.

just my 2cents.

1 hour ago, Oolong83 said:

@420SA 

i know those groups very well, my wife is constantly on Tableview auctions. 

these groups however are area specific and have very strict rules, that if you dont obey you get banned from group and possibly FB.

A auction section on this forum will be covering the whole country and not just a specific area. The auctions will have be regularly monitored by admin. you will have to settle disputes, enforce the rules and give punishment when due. Do you really want to add all that onto your load?

I agree with@PsyCLown , no need for it, the classifieds works fine for now, if it aint broke dont fix it. lol.

just my 2cents.

100% right. The moderation required would be a nightmare!

take a look at the rules for classifieds section on :

marineaquariumsa.co.za  - been running for many years and the rule system works well

5 hours ago, iHigh said:

take a look at the rules for classifieds section on :

marineaquariumsa.co.za  - been running for many years and the rule system works well

Thanks @iHigh been so busy lately have not had a chance to finish up the rules. Having a reference really helps