Hey guys, Completely new to growing. thrown a few seeds around to see what they do in the past, but never followed through.
was hoping you guys could give me some advice, I'm planning an outdoor grow for this season, don't plan on investing too much, around R1500. the issue is I'm really unsure of which route I should go.
Coco or organic soil. I've been looking into it, and the coco option is really appealing to me, but it seems daunting, and expensive for what i had in mind, and the organic option seems fine, but I'm not aiming for "fine".

I made two separate lists for whichever grow I decide on.

• Coco
  • perlite
  • hortimix a,b and mpk (from hydroponics.co.za)
  • 3x 20l Fabric pots (although I've read around 11l pots are good enough for coco)
  • found a very inexpensive tds and ph meter combo on bid or buy, its the same model the hydro stores stock for around  400.
  • some calmag,
  • ph up & down

and then the organics list is not as comprehensive, because I went down the coco rabbit hole.

• soil (obviously) considering the freedom farms premium blend, or the hydroherb promix organic which is 50l for around R300, but i cant find enough information on the ingredients, also found something called orgasoilux.
  • 3x 20l Fabric pots
  • maybe some perlite?
    all the potting mixes I've seen, say they feed for s short time, so which nutrients does one add after that period? would some vermicompost do? or would i be better off going for the hortimix combo as it can be used in organic soil too, but then the water has to be ph'd to make it available to the plant.

basically I'm really keen on the coco, because I'm looking for quantity and quality bud, but I don't want to invest too much, and be too inexperienced to actually get a good yield, or even worse kill the plants. does anyone use the hortimix a,b and mpk, is it simple?
    I'm planning on getting some feminized seeds too. the royal gorilla, silver haze and utopic haze. will they do alright in our climate? can anyone suggest some good strains for outdoor container growing? whats the best local seedbank? any that have a no germinating return policy? thinking of going with biltong and buds or cannasmiths, thoughts?
    any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum. If I was you I would by 3x 40l smart pots. 3 bags of either Freedom Farms/ Organic Matters soil. One bottle of BioBizz Bloom. Find a sunny spot an let the plant grow. Any local seeds will be good for outdoor growing or American seeds like Humboldt seed organisations seeds are good for outdoor growing. If I was a first timer I would not go the hydro/coco route. But the decision is yours.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I agree freedom Farm soil with biobizz Bloom if you have extra bucks get the biobizz grow too but you won't need it for the first few weeks the freedom Farm soil should be good for 6-8 weeks atleast

I also add a bit of Epsom salt when using biobizz 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SkunkPharm said:

Welcome to the forum. If I was you I would by 3x 40l smart pots. 3 bags of either Freedom Farms/ Organic Matters soil. One bottle of BioBizz Bloom. Find a sunny spot an let the plant grow. Any local seeds will be good for outdoor growing or American seeds like Humboldt seed organisations seeds are good for outdoor growing. If I was a first timer I would not go the hydro/coco route. But the decision is yours.

45 minutes ago, Dr. Green said:

I agree freedom Farm soil with biobizz Bloom if you have extra bucks get the biobizz grow too but you won't need it for the first few weeks the freedom Farm soil should be good for 6-8 weeks atleast

I also add a bit of Epsom salt when using biobizz 

thanks a lot guys, I'll go organic. probably freedom farm. are the 40l pots essential? because that would require R1000 worth of potting mix. if it will get me the best results, I definitely willl go that route.

Should i also get freedom farms seed starter or can i use a general soil for starting the plants off?

also, will i need to keep an eye on the PH once i start using biobizz or can i wing it?

• Like 1

Firstly a disclaimer, I'm a new grower only on my second grow. But I've recently switched to coco/perlite and I'm loving it.

I think there are different trade offs and there are some very experiend soil & organic growers on this forum that can help you out if you go that route. I'm not sure there is a clear answer one way or the other. Its really going to depend on your interests and goals... 

If you are interested in coco/perlite I can certainly tell you what is working for me so far and why I prefer it, also have you seen https://cocoforcannabis.com? Quite a lot there, if you are intested shout and I'll send some links etc. Perhaps we'll need a coco/perite thread at some point

• Like 2

Hi there.

I'm seriously considering organic soil this round, but next time when I can afford to invest abit more into my growing, 

2 hours ago, highchome said:

Firstly a disclaimer, I'm a new grower only on my second grow. But I've recently switched to coco/perlite and I'm loving it.

I think there are different trade offs and there are some very experiend soil & organic growers on this forum that can help you out if you go that route. I'm not sure there is a clear answer one way or the other. Its really going to depend on your interests and goals... 

If you are interested in coco/perlite I can certainly tell you what is working for me so far and why I prefer it, also have you seen https://cocoforcannabis.com? Quite a lot there, if you are intested shout and I'll send some links etc. Perhaps we'll need a coco/perite thread at some point

Hi there.

I'm seriously considering organic soil this round,  next season when I can afford to invest abit more into my growing, I'd love to give it a try, it also seems quite daunting and don't want to mess it up and get put off growing all together for my first grow.

Please send the links, I would like as much information as possible. 

Thank you,

May I ask what you had to buy, a small list of sorts of what nutrients and growing mediums you had to get for the perlite Coco grow?

Are you growing indoor or outdoors?

• Like 2

I planted in a 40l pot outdoors end December and she still needs to go a few weeks. The whole pot is a thick mass of roots which is why I am planning on trying out 100l pot (the next available size after 40l fabric pot) this coming season.

Also, if you are not going to train her and leave her to grow tall, the 40l pot tips over easily.

Soil is going to be expensive, you can make your own (Search the forum for "Organic Super Soil and Promix"),would cost you almost the same as freedom farms and from what I have read, better than ff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Breadinator said:

I planted in a 40l pot outdoors end December and she still needs to go a few weeks. The whole pot is a thick mass of roots which is why I am planning on trying out 100l pot (the next available size after 40l fabric pot) this coming season.

Also, if you are not going to train her and leave her to grow tall, the 40l pot tips over easily.

Soil is going to be expensive, you can make your own (Search the forum for "Organic Super Soil and Promix"),would cost you almost the same as freedom farms and from what I have read, better than ff.

That sounds incredible man. I plan on training, and all that. Will be sure to check in here when the time comes to groom my girls. 

On the super soil and promix, I have done some research, but I will be sure to check it out. Yeah, buying the FF or similar soil would be R1000 for 120l, I must admit, that dents the budget, plus the biobizz grow and bloom is another R600 for two 1l bottles, which I'm not even sure will do for 3 girls in one season, and don't even get me started on the over priced fabric pots😭

Loving the community. Thanks again my dudes. 

• Like 2

Tbh with those pot sizes you'd be able to easily get 2 seasons done with 1L of BioGrow and BioBloom. You honestly don't need that much. You also don't need to feed it every time and even if you do you go in at 1ml a L

Sent from my G3312 using Tapatalk

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Jedi Messiah said:

May I ask what you had to buy, a small list of sorts of what nutrients and growing mediums you had to get for the perlite Coco grow?

Pretty much the same as your list, but notably an EC meter rather than a TDS one

• Coco
  • perlite
  • calmag
  • pH meter & pH "storage solution" & 4.0+7.0 calibration fluid
  • EC meter  (you definitely want EC rather than TDS. TDS calculation can vary from brand to brand, EC is always the same. Most EC meters will also do TDS)
  • pH up & down

I'm growing indoors, also using fabric pots (home made though). I'll see how far I get with ~8L ones

• Like 1

3 hours ago, highchome said:

Pretty much the same as your list, but notably an EC meter rather than a TDS one

• Coco
  • perlite
  • calmag
  • pH meter & pH "storage solution" & 4.0+7.0 calibration fluid
  • EC meter  (you definitely want EC rather than TDS. TDS calculation can vary from brand to brand, EC is always the same. Most EC meters will also do TDS)
  • pH up & down

I'm growing indoors, also using fabric pots (home made though). I'll see how far I get with ~8L ones

Cool man. Was considering making my own. My girlfriend would be able to. But I've only been able to find weed gaurd fabric at builders for R200 for a 1m x 10m. Might do that though. What material do you use? And where did you find it? 

The biobizz will stretch that far? Great news. 

Think I will go with cannasmiths for beans, they're the most affordable with the royal queen brand, which is my favourite at the moment. Picknmix promo also looking lit at. :rastabanana

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, highchome said:

Take a look here: https://www.420sa.co.za/index.php?/topic/2174-fabric-grow-bags/. I used landscaping fabric / weed shield from the local nursery, at less that 1/2 of that cost 

Thanks man. Will call my local nursery.

4 minutes ago, SkunkPharm said:

Plant matter has going prices and quality.

Will check it out.

On 7/4/2019 at 4:49 PM, highchome said:

Shot for the link dude, lots of valuable info in there. Definitely saving the link.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...