DWC & RDWC Setup

Tamjee Rusty

I am actually looking at two types now, DWC and RDWC. my space I have available is 3m x 3m .

On the DWC I will need:

• 50L Water Reservoir
  • 6 x 20L pots
  • 6 x 15cm Net Pots
  • 70L of clay 10mm-20mm
  • Add nutrients you recommend.
  • 4m of PVC 40mm diameter
  • 15 x Screw in connectors
  • Water Pump (Not sure exactly what size but as cheap as you can go)
  • Air Pump (Same as above assemblief!!)
  • 7 Air Stones
  • 4m 6mm Clear Flexi tubing
  • LED I was trying to work out Lux/m but was two tired.
  • Will have 0.5m spacing between row of 3 and 0.5m spacing with horizotal rows.
  • Can make it Grow space of 2m x 1m
  • Have room with height of 3m so can adjust lighting
  • Ventilation
  • PH Water meter
  • EC/TCS/ HM monitor
  • Temp and Humidity monitor
  • Normal digital timer

Same setup with as the DWC but just I think you can use flexi hose? Return bigger than feeder pipe? 8mm Fill and 19mm Return?  

Want to use square pots instead of the norm, can allow for for stability? Please help!!

RDWC.jpg

DWC.jpg

4 minutes ago, Tamjee Rusty said:

I would just put the tank outside of the grow area. 

Good luck with that :), in summer it won't make the slightest difference, if you cut corners you are going to be sorely disappointed and you'll have some nice sludge roots courtesy of Phytophthora among others.

Edited by greenkush

7 minutes ago, greenkush said:

Good luck with that :), in summer it won't make the slightest difference, if you cut corners you are going to be sorely disappointed and you'll have some nice sludge roots courtesy of Phytophthora among others.

😂😂😂 yes dont that.. Would I just maybe double route it, what would you use to keep constant temperature?  Thought the airstone would keep it fairly regulated? 

3 minutes ago, Tamjee Rusty said:

😂😂😂 yes dont that.. Would I just maybe double route it, what would you use to keep constant temperature?  Thought the airstone would keep it fairly regulated? 

Darcy friction factor formulae 🙂 furthermore you're using pump's which gives off more heat. So the only way you're going to do it is either get a aqua chiller or keep chucking frozen 2L coke bottles into your res.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, greenkush said:

Darcy friction factor formulae 🙂 furthermore you're using pump's which gives off more heat. So the only way you're going to do it is either get a aqua chiller or keep chucking frozen 2L coke bottles into your res.

That is why I looked at keeping pumps out of the tank and before the tank. I am not even sure what water pump to use as of yet. What if I switch the circuit having it feed from the top and flow out the bottom? Elevating the pots to above the point of entry in the res? In the AutoPot system is uses just water flow? Feeding pipes less in diameter to drainage larger? Enters in 8mm piping and drains 19mm piping back to res?

6 minutes ago, Tamjee Rusty said:

That is why I looked at keeping pumps out of the tank and before the tank. I am not even sure what water pump to use as of yet. What if I switch the circuit having it feed from the top and flow out the bottom? Elevating the pots to above the point of entry in the res? In the AutoPot system is uses just water flow? Feeding pipes less in diameter to drainage larger? Enters in 8mm piping and drains 19mm piping back to res?

No idea you'd need to trial it and see, I was planning to switch to RDWC later this year. But it's a lot of effort.

Edited by greenkush
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, greenkush said:

No idea you'd need to trial it and see, I was planning to switch to RDWC later this year. But it's a lot of effort.

I am going to trail this. Will try routing the water through temperature regulated area after the pump towards the Res and then back into the system. Can also run humidifiers and put in air conditioning.. Also run through Deep Cycle Battery's to regulate power usage and have a fail safe when Eskom feels like darkness..

1 minute ago, Tamjee Rusty said:

I am going to trail this. Will try routing the water through temperature regulated area after the pump towards the Res and then back into the system. Can also run humidifiers and put in air conditioning.. Also run through Deep Cycle Battery's to regulate power usage and have a fail safe when Eskom feels like darkness..

Yep that is kinda the reason why I did not switch due to grid stability. If I'm still in the country next year I'll be looking at going off the grid entirely.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, greenkush said:

Yep that is kinda the reason why I did not switch due to grid stability. If I'm still in the country next year I'll be looking at going off the grid entirely.

If you have have 6 Deep Cycle Batteries in parallel, you double up in amps and keep the right voltage, adding a Ballast or Converter your power usage can go down tremendously and have back up when power is down. Did a setup like that for Wireless Towers and batteries charge with a wind turbine. Thank you for your feedback. I hope soon I can have a few of these setup, DWC really speeds up root growth..