Freedom Farms vs Organics Matter

Afternoon all,

I had to transplant my plants a bit sooner than I thought and ran out of FF soil. @420SA managed to sort me out with some Organic Matters soil (thanks for the quick service, it arrived this morning 👍🏻).

Question regarding ph:

Apparently the ideal ph for FF is between 5.5 - 6.0. Is there a recommended ph for Organic Matters? My tap water is 8.1 btw.

Thanks!

Just now, Totemic said:

Let your tap water stand for a day and check if that ph stabilizes somewhat. It would help you out a lot

Thanks, I do let my tap water stand for 24h but I correct the ph straight out of the tap. I never realized there could possibly be a difference before and after.

Will definitely check.

@Zaskar09 glad it arrived safely

I would suggest around 6.2 but I don't PH my water with the OM soil and my tap water also comes out at around 8. The soil will buffer the PH but you can PH your water for good measure if you like.

edit: definitely do what @Totemic said above for multiple reasons. The PH should drop a bit

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 420SA said:

@Zaskar09 glad it arrived safely

I would suggest around 6.2 but I don't PH my water with the OM soil and my tap water also comes out at around 8. The soil will buffer the PH but you can PH your water for good measure if you like.

Do you provide any nutrients for the plants or just microbes and AACT's etc for the soil and microbes?

Edited by PsyCLown

I would suggest starting to feed at 5 or 6 weeks although I've gotten plants comfortably past the 6 week mark with no feeding. Have already grown out a plant with zero feeding and was well happy with the results. 

Growing out a sugar black rose in the soil now too. In 30L of soil. She's almost 8 weeks through flower (will post a pic). Zero feeding too. Only liquid fulvic, humic, inoculants and top dressing with EWC. Some coconut water too, which is essentially a nutrient but she was only given it once. This is not all to say that you shouldn't feed, its up to you. I'm sure feeding will boost your yield but I'm enjoying the simplicity and cost saving of not having to... and still getting great bud. I reckon if you follow the KNF methods you'll be good with this soil. Fermented plant juices and the like.  The odd compost tea too of course. 

Every strain is different though. Watch the plant and she'll tell you if she's hungry. 

• Like 1

This is my first cannabis grow but I have been growing organic vegetables commercially for a while now. Based on my first impression I definitively prefer the OM soil.

It’s more of a SOIL than FF, there’s actually a bit of structure to the soil straight out of the bag, which is rare in bagged soils.

I plan on going full tilt no-till and I think the OM soil will make an excellent base for that. Also busy cooking Greenleaf Organics’ supersoil, which I would probably use predominantly, but I think the OM soil is very similar to what that will be.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/24/2019 at 8:15 PM, Zaskar09 said:

This is my first cannabis grow but I have been growing organic vegetables commercially for a while now. Based on my first impression I definitively prefer the OM soil.

It’s more of a SOIL than FF, there’s actually a bit of structure to the soil straight out of the bag, which is rare in bagged soils.

I plan on going full tilt no-till and I think the OM soil will make an excellent base for that. Also busy cooking Greenleaf Organics’ supersoil, which I would probably use predominantly, but I think the OM soil is very similar to what that will be.

Hey bud!

How has the OM soil been thus far?

@YourStonedBuddy I got some Freedom Farms soil and some Organics Matter and I personally prefer the Organics Matter soil over the Freedom Farms. The plants seem a bit happier and when I messed up the plants in the OM soil didn't seem to be affected as greatly.

So I ended up purchasing quite a lot more of the Organics Matter soil. I still feed nutes though , BioBizz.

One thing I did notice was the difference in colour between the FF & OM soil and the fact that the OM soil seemed to have a bit more perlite in it.

• Like 2