Washing Buds - Who's doing it?

12 minutes ago, Stinger96 said:

Extracts.. sure.. smoking a moldy bud now and then mayne not a problem but I do not think that I would smoke my moldy harvest and share it with buds.... I've read that it is not really that good for you.... you could die.. Do some research and make a wize decision..

:-2cents 

I am talking about powdery mildew, not mold.

Although this is what I have heard being said, not sure about it either to be honest.

I wash my buds in a 0.1% h2o2 bath for 20 seconds and then hang to dry if they have had any bud rot or powdery mildew. It does remove some of the more soluble terpenes but its worth it IMO. I prefer my bud clean and unwashed but you got to make the best of a bad situation sometimes. 

Edited by oldsandals

On 5/2/2020 at 4:04 PM, Nick_Marais19 said:

HI Everyone

I am a recent pot home grower and had no idea about some of the health risks that come with growing weed, particularly powdery mildew. I had harvested several plants without knowing that the terrible white powder over my plants was mildew. I harvested my plants and let them dry. They've been drying for almost a month now. I know I can get rid of powdery mildew with Hydrogen pyroxide or Baking soda. I'd like to ask you guys if I can wash the buds once they're cured to get rid of the powdery mildew, or should I just toss my bud? Please can you reply to my Facebook (Nicholas Lange Marias). 

Thanks for for your help 

Hell to the nah man, I would never even consider washing cured bud. I personally would toss it, there's no way I would risk smoking a severe case of PM. If you had maybe washed before curing, that's a different story. 

Negative to the FB request either, don't even own an account on that horrid platform. 

• 5 weeks later...
10 hours ago, zairek said:

Washed buds once, was desperate and impatient. Bud loses bag appeal though, definitely smokable and effective 

I feel the bud looks better after a wash!

I am curious who uses Hydrogen Peroxide when washing their bud and what strength do you use?

Heard Hydrogen Peroxide is a good idea if you have PM or pests.

Also do you guys keep your lemon and bicarb separate or mix them in the same bucket?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PsyCLown said:

I am curious who uses Hydrogen Peroxide when washing their bud and what strength do you use?

Also do you guys keep your lemon and bicarb separate or mix them in the same bucket?

I washed my dad's harvest last weekend because it needed a bath... Pm was pretty rife... 

I had a 4 bucket wash... 

Rinse bucket, that led to a bicarb and lemon juice bath, which led to a hot water bucket, and then a cold rinse... 

It seemed to do the trick for the most part

If you only have PM and no other pests, keep the wash short.. and I wouldn't do warm water as it softens the trichome substance a lot.

For PM only, I would only recommend a 2 bucket wash. First Bicarb of Soda, 2g per liter and a tap cold rinse with clear filtered water. 

You only do peroxide and lemon juice to shock crawlies. Spider Mites and such. PM lets go very easy with just Bicarb of Soda.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PsyCLown said:

Probably true bro, I was a newbie at the time, and still learning about this dear herb...