Washing Buds - Who's doing it?

Good day everyone.

Due to a bit of a PM scare I started reading up on washing your buds just after harvest before you hang them up to dry, seems it is more common than I thought and people doing it with problem free buds claiming it produces a smoother smoke. From what I read is there is no negative effect if you wash your buds as the trichome's will not 'come off' if you are careful.

The bath varies from bicarbonate of soda with lemon juice to hydrogen peroxide with vinegar or just clean warm water.

Now the question is, who is doing this and can you see any difference in the smoke?

Okay, go 😊

I wash because I have a lot dirt, insects and I spray frequently.

Check out the sand on this one after a windy day:

76d4b5b42103e41765455fbfcd235801.jpg

I haven't done a comparison and plan on doing do with upcoming harvest, but it just makes sense to me.

I do 3 bucket wash:

Room temp water with Bicarb soda & lemon juice

Warm water

Cool water

About 30 second rinses, hang to drip dry in semi lit garage for 24H after which I proceed as per normal drying and curing

2 hours ago, LukeS said:

I'm about to do it.

Bucket 1: 3 parts RO water to 1 part 3% H202.
Bucket 2: Warm water
Bucket 3: Cold water

The above is the formula i will follow on a 3 bucket system

Thanx for the reply @LukeS.

Bucket 1, 3 to 1 part H202, that seems a bit excessive, you mean 250ml to a liter of water?

I presume you first dip the buds in bucket 1 to sterilize and then wash the H202 off on bucket 2 and 3?

2 hours ago, Breadinator said:

I wash because I have a lot dirt, insects and I spray frequently.

Check out the sand on this one after a windy day:

76d4b5b42103e41765455fbfcd235801.jpg

I haven't done a comparison and plan on doing do with upcoming harvest, but it just makes sense to me.

I do 3 bucket wash:

Room temp water with Bicarb soda & lemon juice

Warm water

Cool water

About 30 second rinses, hang to drip dry in semi lit garage for 24H after which I proceed as per normal drying and curing

Also appreciate the reply @Breadinator.

Right so also three buckets, I see you go for the more natural bicarb and lemon juice vibes.

I think I might just try it out!

2 hours ago, Stoukie said:

Thanx for the reply @LukeS.

Bucket 1, 3 to 1 part H202, that seems a bit excessive, you mean 250ml to a liter of water?

I presume you first dip the buds in bucket 1 to sterilize and then wash the H202 off on bucket 2 and 3?

I will be washing for the same reason as you,

I am following "the original" person to do it, via this post https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/bud-washing.200881/

He had a 4 part system, which included lemon and bicard in a 2nd bucket. I might still do the same but only on a 3 bucket system, so hot water bucket will also have lemon and bicarb.

This is basically to ensure that everything is dead like the mildew, and also that any cotton fibres, dead skin cells, dust etc is also washed off before the drying process.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LukeS said:

I will be washing for the same reason as you,

I am following "the original" person to do it, via this post https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/bud-washing.200881/

He had a 4 part system, which included lemon and bicard in a 2nd bucket. I might still do the same but only on a 3 bucket system, so hot water bucket will also have lemon and bicarb.

This is basically to ensure that everything is dead like the mildew, and also that any cotton fibres, dead skin cells, dust etc is also washed off before the drying process.

Right so let's do some math... PAM PAM PAM!!!

I bought a bottle of 12% peroxide, if you are doing a 1 part H202 to 3 parts water and your peroxide is 3%... So I'm going to dilute 1 part peroxide to 12 parts water, in other words 85ml per 1 liter of water for 12% H202?

Will try it out!

The formula was posted for me in another thread, I will paste it for you here. Thanks @Kgrows

you can use the formula for diluting anything thats a bit tricky:

Using C1V1 = C2V2

To make a fixed amount of a dilute solution from a stock solution, you can use the formula: C1V1 = C2V2 where:

• V1 = Volume of stock solution needed to make the new solution
  • C1 = Concentration of stock solution
  • V2 = Final volume of new solution
  • C2 = Final concentration of new solution

So lets say you want 3%(C2) final concentration & 1000ml (V2)of the final solution
    You have 12% H2O2 (C1)
    So:
    12 x V1 = 3 x 1000
    12 x V1 = 3000
    V1 = 3000/12
    V1 = 250ml

IMPORTANT STEP:

V2-V1 = water volume
    1000 - 250 = 750ml

So to get 1L of 3% H202 solution you need to add 250ml of 12% H2O2 to 750ml water
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, LukeS said:

The formula was posted for me in another thread, I will paste it for you here. Thanks @Kgrows

you can use the formula for diluting anything thats a bit tricky:

Using C1V1 = C2V2

To make a fixed amount of a dilute solution from a stock solution, you can use the formula: C1V1 = C2V2 where:

• V1 = Volume of stock solution needed to make the new solution
  • C1 = Concentration of stock solution
  • V2 = Final volume of new solution
  • C2 = Final concentration of new solution

So lets say you want 3%(C2) final concentration & 1000ml (V2)of the final solution
    You have 12% H2O2 (C1)
    So:
    12 x V1 = 3 x 1000
    12 x V1 = 3000
    V1 = 3000/12
    V1 = 250ml

IMPORTANT STEP:

V2-V1 = water volume
    1000 - 250 = 750ml

So to get 1L of 3% H202 solution you need to add 250ml of 12% H2O2 to 750ml water

In my defense when I was adding and subtracting in my head it look like the first time Neo saw the Matrix on the screen... okay that and I was high as a mother 😳

Thank you for this!

Did my first bud wash today, went with two buckets, first with 200ml of 12% hydrogen peroxide to 5 liter water, I know it's very diluted but did not want to overdo it on my first go. Second bucket clean water, also 5 liters.

Branches were cut and whole branch dunked and drowned in the H202 solution, moved the branches around in the water to 'wash' them, all and all 15 seconds in bucket 1 and 15 in bucket 2.

H202 left, clean water right:

20190623_122257.thumb.jpg.65edf9fbed5b6cdcf6c650d32a5ba7df.jpg

Close up of H202 bucket after wash:

20190623_122314.thumb.jpg.e5b6f01f96263a2e85d1fb74a4110594.jpg

Buds hung to dry, will move them to dark place tonight:

20190623_122348.thumb.jpg.bc548b44538cb49ebaf6051c935fbb1a.jpg

All that is left:

20190623_122301.thumb.jpg.105757958ecec3be73df6be71a500057.jpg

Hopefully it helped a bit, found a couple of leaves with PM, so rather safe than sorry.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I must say after reading what [mention=1162]Pat999[/mention] had to say, on another thread, i was convinced and still am. Better taste and smell but I dont like the way the bud looks after curing for a while. It looks dull allongside the same flower I did not wash. :-peace 
Unfortunately I had to do mine, but tbh my bud hasn't tasted this great in a long time. My AH is pretty much a put you downer outterreal distinct smell and taste to the bud

Sent from my G3312 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

HI Everyone

I am a recent pot home grower and had no idea about some of the health risks that come with growing weed, particularly powdery mildew. I had harvested several plants without knowing that the terrible white powder over my plants was mildew. I harvested my plants and let them dry. They've been drying for almost a month now. I know I can get rid of powdery mildew with Hydrogen pyroxide or Baking soda. I'd like to ask you guys if I can wash the buds once they're cured to get rid of the powdery mildew, or should I just toss my bud? Please can you reply to my Facebook (Nicholas Lange Marias). 

Thanks for for your help 

On 5/2/2020 at 4:04 PM, Nick_Marais19 said:

HI Everyone

I am a recent pot home grower and had no idea about some of the health risks that come with growing weed, particularly powdery mildew. I had harvested several plants without knowing that the terrible white powder over my plants was mildew. I harvested my plants and let them dry. They've been drying for almost a month now. I know I can get rid of powdery mildew with Hydrogen pyroxide or Baking soda. I'd like to ask you guys if I can wash the buds once they're cured to get rid of the powdery mildew, or should I just toss my bud? Please can you reply to my Facebook (Nicholas Lange Marias). 

Thanks for for your help 

Don't think anyone is going to reply to you on Facebook, I personally wouldn't want that info just left out there in the open either but it's your choice I guess.

I bud wash, but have never done so with already dry bud. All the research I have done says not to budwash once the bud is already dry as the chance of losing trichomes is higher and the chance of getting budrot and mold are also increased.

With that being said, people say it's alright to smoke bud with powdery mildew *shrugs* also I believe you can still use it to make extracts, so you can make dab or rosin or oil with the bud which has powdery mildew and apparently it's safe.

Extracts.. sure.. smoking a moldy bud now and then mayne not a problem but I do not think that I would smoke my moldy harvest and share it with buds.... I've read that it is not really that good for you.... you could die.. Do some research and make a wize decision..

:-2cents