Pot size for clones & mothers (Bonsai Mom)

PsyCLown

Good day,

So I would like to find out a bit more about cloning and keeping mother plants etc.

Hopefully you can assist with the below questions:

1. How old should a plant be before you take clones from it?

2. Can you keep a mother in a smaller (10L perhaps) pot and in essence keep her "forever" under 18/6 lighting without re-potting her?

3. Can you keep cutting in smaller pots (5L perhaps) until you are ready to re-pot and grow out? So let's say keep them in the smaller pot for a few weeks to a few months?

Keeping the plants in the smaller pots, I assume they will become root bound but will that really be an issue as I am not planning on growing them out at that point in time.

Edited by PsyCLown

Good day,
So I would like to find out a bit more about cloning and keeping mother plants etc.

Hopefully you can assist with the below questions:
1. How old should a plant be before you take clones from it?
2. Can you keep a mother in a smaller (10L perhaps) pot and in essence keep her "forever" under 18/6 lighting without re-potting her?
3. Can you keep cutting in smaller pots (5L perhaps) until you are ready to re-pot and grow out? So let's say keep them in the smaller pot for a few weeks to a few months?

Keeping the plants in the smaller pots, I assume they will become root bound but will that really be an issue as I am not planning on growing them out at that point in time.

Sup bru

1) Plant can be any age with enough foliage to be able to take. There is no specific time
2) Yes you can, I've kept my current Bay11 in a 3L square pot for about 2 months while waiting for it to finish up. I'd say you can keep mother plants for 3-4 months in that 10L pot. 18/6 light is perfect for it.
3) Yes you can, as said you can keep them in the 5L pot for a while. I took the Bay11 out and it was busting in white roots. Didn't cause problems but you also don't want to push it.

I'd say keep a mother plant until you take clones, root your clones then allocate one of those clones as a new mother plant. That is what I do. I have a few girls atm that's getting culled because they've finished their round of being mother plants. I've got clones going for brand new mother plants.

Sent from my G3312 using Tapatalk

[mention=1162]Pat999[/mention] i know this is a contested issue, do you not lose potency when you start taking clones of clones? ive never gone beyond a second gen of clones, whats your experience with this?
Not really bru, I've had a few gens of my Amnesia Haze and the potency is still top notch. I am aware of the potency dying off but I think that's when you go down the line of like 10 generations but no I'm not there yet and the bud is still amazing.

• Like 1

Thanks Pat,
That really helps, what happens if I try and keep the plant in a smaller pot for an extended period of time?
Will it simply start to die?

[mention=307]Green Leaf Organics[/mention] in my previous thread you stated you had some mother plants for a couple of years.
How do you do your cloning, what pot size do you use etc?
Jip it'll just get rootbound and suffocate itself unless you trim the roots but if I'm gonna be honest bro that's too much effort for me. And with the new law coming in beans have gotten much easier to obtain with quality genetics. Keep the plant for a few generations, 4-5 if you'd like and then buy some new beans. I'm also starting to leave some strains to try new strains.

[mention=1970]PsyCLown[/mention] I'm planning to have a couple of bonai mothers. This article explained it quite well: https://www.growweedeasy.com/how-to-keep-a-bonsai-mother-for-unlimited-clones
Pretty similar to my "real" bonsai it seems, just more frequent pruning  
This is something I'd love to do for art, have like one plant you just take care of for art and then finally you go in and flower her out after a few months

• Like 1

This is something I'd love to do for art, have like one plant you just take care of for art and then finally you go in and flower her out after a few months

I like that idea, could even turn it into a comp of sorts. Haha

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I like that idea, could even turn it into a comp of sorts. Haha

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

I don't think we would be able to get a comp for it but it would be interesting. I'd love to get my other tent back up and get a 240w QB light for veg and flower but atm I'm tight on cash and would need other more important things first like AC

34 minutes ago, highchome said:

@PsyCLown I'm planning to have a couple of bonai mothers. This article explained it quite well: https://www.growweedeasy.com/how-to-keep-a-bonsai-mother-for-unlimited-clones

Pretty similar to my "real" bonsai it seems, just more frequent pruning 🙂 

Thanks, very interesting read and actually does not seem like a ton of maintenance.
Interesting on the lower amount of nutes, I guess you do not want tons of growth really. I will certainly be giving this a try!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, highchome said:

Great :). I'm going to keep them under cheap CFLs, seems like a nice inexpensive way to keep the strains I like.

I plan on getting a veg tent and will throw them in there under some LED's. May need to raise them a bit, will see how it goes.

7 hours ago, Kgrows said:

@Pat999 i know this is a contested issue, do you not lose potency when you start taking clones of clones? ive never gone beyond a second gen of clones, whats your experience with this?

It makes no sense that potency would be lost, as this is a genetic identical copy of the progeny. 

• 1 month later...

Blue Gelato Mother

37d518cd3bdc2571d5221f4187c833fd.jpg

6cc92a10160ecb3a2122e46675847bf2.jpg

Shiskaberry Mother

9d1fbdbf12b984c0e716be44b8fec97e.jpg

de46631ccbc7214cda9e6420addc9d6d.jpg

The reason they were trimmed like this is they just grew way to bushy and some leafs were rotting at the bottom. So I took cuttings from both of them and just decided to clean them up. I also found I had a spidermites issue that seemed to get out of control.

The Shiskaberry was potted from a 19cm pot with coir as grow medium to a 5L pot filled with Vermiculite.

I had 100L of it and thought why not do an experiment. So Im keeping her in a Hempy "state" if I can call it that. I am planning to keep her for quite a while due to the fact that she delivers some seriously tight buds . The only time I take cutting from cuttings is when I get a cutting from a good strain and keep that as mothers. I have spoken with growers and seen plants that was cutting from cuttings etc and they looked great and tasted awesome too.

But I guess my opinion is that when you take cutting from 1st generation or 13th generation and it it still gets you high and taste great then why care??? Keep a mother and test it.

• 1 month later...
I love to read threads like these. Very informative. Thanks guys.
True. I find myself browsing through the site coming accross threads that has that one word or pic in that puts it all together. Or you learn something new.

I am being taught new things and having grown for more than 10 years I still learn new ways of doing things. Whether it's from something I read on maybe a few things thrown together from a couple reads.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hey man, I know this is way too late, but I have something that may help if you still want to try keeping a bonsai mother. 

Here's 2 links; 1 in which I had a bonsai mother for a while, and another in which I rooted some clones. I took them after the 1st week of 12/12 but you can take cuttings once they reach about 4 or 5 nodes. 

https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/bonsai-mother-ethos-genetics-inzane-in-the-membrane.1551816/

I talk about how I avoided getting root bound and unfortunately I couldn't keep the tree any longer but if you keep feeding it at half strength every few days she will last a very long time. Fabric pots really work well with these type of trees and will save you with regards to maintenance. 

Although you should replace bonsai mothers every year or so if I remember correctly. 

https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/harvested-nirvana-blue-dream-indoor-grow-nebulas-manifold.1548198/page-4

The clones in this link took about 10 days to root due to having been exposed to 12/12 lighting. I didn't update on them but they turned out fine and I gave them to a friend. 

Edited by TheUltimateNoob

Hi, nice thread guys
I agree with the mothers, if they to big trim roots and keep in same pot with new medium and they bunch back in a few weeks.
Clones are identical so if the plant you take it from is in good form then it's fine, clone from clone from clone works good for me after trying to keep mothers takes up to much space where I can have new clones in that space.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Hi, nice thread guys
I agree with the mothers, if they to big trim roots and keep in same pot with new medium and they bunch back in a few weeks.

Yeah I've seen this done often when I searched on how to keep a bonsai as well. Not just cannabis, root pruning other bonsai's are a regular practice and really helps keep the tree alive much longer.

Its hard to watch a tree being handled like that but they spring back stronger than ever.

I've tried the smart pots, honestly I think it would be almost impossible to get root bound in them - from my experience.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk