Reservoir Cooling...??

DeeJay

In case some of you are wondering, there is a real easy way to cool your reservoir down. I found mine was getting up to around ambient temps in the grow room of 24C.

Obviously at this temp algae and root rot is a very real possibility.

Check out https://www.netram.co.za/3712-tec1-peltier-cool-kit.html?search_query=peltier&results=3

Its called a Peltier Thermo-electric Fan. It works on a thermo-electric module that you only apply 12v to and it gets 70C on the one side and -30C on the other side. Couple it with a heat sink and a fan (see the website) and it can blow cool air onto your nutrients to keep them cold.

I bought from these guys on Monday and it was delivered by Wednesday. I installed it last night, and ran the fan into a small length of ducting so that the fan does not fasten directly to my reservoir lid and rust through condensation, and wallah!

The nutrient temps went from 23.4C to 18.7C in around an hour!

I bought this... https://www.netram.co.za/4377-xh-w1209-temperature-controller.html from the same supplier and hooked it up to control the switching of the fan and cooler and it works a dream!

All of this for under R600!!

The only other thing you would need to purchase to make this work would be a 100w 12v LED driver. Mine is a 300w as this is what I had on hand.

Problem solved!!!

Let me know what you think?

🙂

Cooling 3.jpg

Cooling 1.jpg

Cooling 2.jpg

18 minutes ago, CleanGreen said:

OMG  -30C!!! 

Bearing in mind the surface of the thermo-couple gets to these temps.

Once you employ the heat sink it dissipates quickly.

Don't worry, you won't be blowing -30C onto your nutes! 🤣

Probably closer to around 15C or so...

👌

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, CleanGreen said:

Nice design!

I was interested to see this video, as he employs a cooling sink which run the liquid straight over the thermocouple. I thought that this would be a better way of cooling, although then you would be running your nutes through this all the time (not necessarily a bad thing).

I was surprised that his temps don't go much cooler than 20C. I got my res down to 18C within just over an hour... And this was using the fan in the opposite direction. Mine extracts the cool air through the bigger fins and blows it onto the res, and uses the smaller heatsink to dissipate the heat.

I didn't use thermal paste though! I have ordered some, and a 2nd thermocouple to add to my little setup, so will let you know how much more effective it is with a 2nd thermocouple and some cooling paste...

• Like 1