Posted (edited)

Ok so we left to travel for 2 weeks on May 24, so I put 2 seeds in coco, and set up a timer circuit to turn on the pump in the bucket reservoir (~20L of water, EHG nutrients, 0.5 EC, 6.5pH), drip feeding with runoff back into the bucket. 35W of light.

Came back today, June 9, and they're alive! 

I'll move the second one into its own pot. But how does the competition work, again? Grow up to 5 and pick your best one? Or do I kill one now?

IMG_20190609_121902.jpg

Edited by growopz
Oops wrong date
  • Like 6

These are regular seeds so grow out all 6 and select the best female to go forward with

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Ah I see, growth looks female-ish so far at least.

Might be a bit late to plant more, at this point. Got 75% chance of a female with 2 seeds. Will just grow these two out.

3 hours ago, growopz said:

Might be a bit late to plant more, at this point. Got 75% chance of a female with 2 seeds. Will just grow these two out.

Tomorrow is the last day to germinate seeds, so you still have time if you're concerned you may not get a female.

I like the heatsink on your light, where did you get it from and what was the price?

Ok so we left to travel for 2 weeks on May 24, so I put 2 seeds in coco, and set up a timer circuit to turn on the pump in the bucket reservoir (~20L of water, EHG nutrients, 0.5 EC, 6.5pH), drip feeding with runoff back into the bucket. 35W of light.
Came back today, June 9, and they're alive! 
I'll move the second one into its own pot. But how does the competition work, again? Grow up to 5 and pick your best one? Or do I kill one now?

IMG_20190609_121902.thumb.jpg.f0db3f142fe576bc5c44565b25cb75cb.jpg
Please elaborate on your light your using.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

[mention=1970]PsyCLown[/mention]  Good to know. Will pop the other seeds in tomorrow then, just in case.  

***text temoved****

Sorry 420sa - @PsyCLown we're an led grow light company. We buy them in bulk.

Edited by growopz
No links please

Posted (edited)

@SkunkPharm it's my pet project light called the Arc Reactor, with 6 channels (3000K, 4000K, 390nm, 450nm, 660nm and 730nm). Samsung, Osram and LG diodes. Efficiency is similar to the QBs.

I have been testing it for about a year now, and the default spectrum is good. Was worried it might be too much UV and blue. But it kicks ass for vegging. 

32% 3000K warm white

16% 4000K natural white

8% 395nm UV

16% 450nm blue

17% 660nm red

11% 730nm infrared

Haven't put it on the site yet though. Been a busy year. 

If I don't get around to making the 6-channel PCB controller for it in the next two months, I'll just sell it with the default spectrum.

It's only being used for flowering as a supplementary wavelength light in some 600W+ custom fixtures.

IMG_20190522_172020.jpg

SAVE_20190609_205123.jpg

Edited by growopz
730W Flowering example
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ahh ok, very nice.

I've already got a few 288 QB's, although trying to find a cheaper heatsink solution as they can be rather pricey locally and not worth importing due to the weight.

Good luck with your grow! 😄 

18 hours ago, growopz said:

1.) That is not how statistics work, you have a 50% chance of either male or female, not 75% chance.

2.) There is literally no way for you to determine sex of the plants at that age. Unless you're prematurely put them into flower and they're showing. Which I doubt.

4 minutes ago, greenkush said:

1.) That is not how statistics work, you have a 50% chance of either male or female, not 75% chance.

2.) There is literally no way for you to determine sex of the plants at that age. Unless you're prematurely put them into flower and they're showing. Which I doubt.

@greenkush 

MM

MF

FM

FF

Those are the four possibilities for my two seeds. Those results are equally likely, which means the chance I get a female from two seeds is 75%.

But you might be right about the sex determining at that age. I just often find the males grow tall. 

11 minutes ago, growopz said:

@greenkush 

MM

MF

FM

FF

Those are the four possibilities for my two seeds. Those results are equally likely, which means the chance I get a female from two seeds is 75%.

But you might be right about the sex determining at that age. I just often find the males grow tall. 

Flipping the gender in your equation doesn't change the scales of probabilities, you are either going to get two females = 100% or 1 female = 50% or zero females 0%, there is no 75%.

@greenkush calculating the probability of a female from a single seed would be 50/50, but as soon as you add the second seed, the posibilities change.  What @growopz mean is that your chances of having one female from the two seeds are more likely although there is still only a 50/50 chance for either seed on their own. Probability calculations screw with logic. Therefore with 6 seeds your probability of getting 1 female is almost 100%, but there is a small chance of getting 6 males as well.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Jip. 

Xx (FEM) cross xY (MALE)

Can only equal

Xx

xx

XY

xY

With 2 plants planted you can only have a 50% chance, 0% chance, or 100% chance.

To work with a 75% as you are requires an additional 2 plants to make up the quarters you are snipping. Your percentages are based on plant numbers not genetics. Genetics is the limiter. Ie. Everything relative to a factor of 4. The ratio also only really holds true the larger your sample.

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 2

@Totemic very interesting. I stand corrected. Thanks for the info. I thought it would change as soon as you have a second seed in the mix.

@Totemic @highjinx

It's 75% 🙂

It's called the Product rule. 

Chance of a male is 0.5

Chance of two males is 0.5*0.5=0.25

All other cases include a female, so the chance of at least one female, with two seeds, is 0.75

Then precisely the same equation is due on the females, giving you a 75% of at least a male.... so its 50/50...all symantics put aside.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I vote 2 males and a laugh 😋

Shoulda germed all bruv

Edited by CG420za
  • Like 1

My original meaning was that with two seeds, I have a 75% chance of at least one female. That's all I need to compete. Check out binomial distribution if still not believing 🙂

Anyway I planted 2 more now, and see that I need to post the photo with the little container. So, 93.75% now that I have at least one female.

IMG_20190610_141333.jpg

• Like 1

Sjoe lol... Sounds alot like counting your chickens before they hatch... What I know for 100% is that you will have to flip part of the plant or the whole plant into bloom before you will find out which are female and which are male... And the ratios info is sound... But with that 90% chance of female, you have the exact same percentage that you will have a male... So with one seed it's either a male or female... 50 50... And with 2 seeds, you have a 75% chance of a female and a 75% chance of a male... But it's all just mumble jumble until those pistols are out 

• Like 1

Luckily I'm 100% entertained reading the thread 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks,

I separated them, and added two computer fans to help strengthen the stems a bit.

Flushed both with rain water, cause that mid-leaf curl is maybe some sort of nutrient issue from drinking stagnant nutes for 2 weeks.

Moved light a bit closer. Was at 100 PPFD before, now at 250 PPFD. 

Ok, good luck errybody!

IMG_20190610_183513.jpg

• Like 8

Looking good!! I also have a bit of that leave curl on the first set, I thought could be my soil a bit hot with castings or something organic, but I noticed on quite a few threads the first leaves tend to do that.

Saving up for some GrowOpz lights, lol, awesome sauce bro. :-rollitup 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1