growopz

growopz - FINISHED

Coming along, start of flower. 

Seems I've got some thrips.  Damn.  Will neem oil the hell out of the tent while it's still in early flower, and rinse it off.  Thrips aren't nearly as bad as mites, at least.

IMG_20190911_110606.thumb.jpg.4ed7d0f87a875d53f3cbe3d6f420e4da.jpg

• Sad 2

Sorry man!! Thrips are such a pest... 

I would do a heavy defoliation, gently, and remove all affected leaves and then some.. 

And it's about the right time to do such a thing... 

I would not spray anything on the plants at this stage... Rather go a predatory mite route than contaminate your lovely flowers.... Or lady bugs are good too. 

If you can take your plants outside to do the defoliation and spray your tent with something in the mean time, you should be able to reduce the population to a manageable level and still make it to harvest decently. 

• Agree 1

On 9/11/2019 at 11:15 AM, growopz said:

Coming along, start of flower. 

Seems I've got some thrips.  Damn.  Will neem oil the hell out of the tent while it's still in early flower, and rinse it off.  Thrips aren't nearly as bad as mites, at least.

IMG_20190911_110606.thumb.jpg.4ed7d0f87a875d53f3cbe3d6f420e4da.jpg

Thrips are just as bad, they will suck nutrients from the plants and proliferate at incredible speeds, use pyrol, thrips will just laugh at your neem oil.

Edited by greenkush
  • Like 1

Thanks, well I covered the whole plant in neem oil, top and bottom of all leaves, twice, so probably too late for beneficial bugs. Bugs don't like neem oil.

The neem oil should slow them down. The first academic paper on Google said neem oil does 60% thrip reduction in 96 hrs, so it's a good start.

It's still early, so I'll defoliate heavily, and try finish them off with neem and pyrol combo. I'd rather just hit it with spray this time. There's not much to contaminate.

• Like 1

Ok, well did pretty heavy defoliation, and moved to the square meter tent, and they're getting 220W of 3000K/660nm now. 

Left these guys stretching a bit too much in the 60*60 tent without any training, so they're a bit wacky. Chocolope on the left, and the Black Valley on the right. Looks like the BV needs some nitrogen or calmag. Chocolope looking pretty good other than whatever thrips remain after the neem oil. I'll finish them off with pyrol soon. The Black Valley didn't have any thrips, which is pretty interesting. Maybe not as tasty, with the yellowish leaves.

IMG_20190917_173224.jpg

• Like 3

You'll be needing some stakes to hold up the colas soon. That Black Valley sounds pretty interesting.

• Like 1

Well, the pyrol really did a number on the plants, but they'll be ok. Went for a higher concentration (40ml/L) than lower (20ml/L), so the thrips are probably dead, at least. Will keep an eye on it.

Not my most impressive grow by far, but I'm sure it'll bulk up a bit before the deadline, and be a decent little plant.

IMG_20190924_151057.jpg

• Like 4

@growopz @Trailblazer420 Why are you guys using pesticides in flower? not good, any trichomes on the plant will soak up the pesticides, both pyrol & Neem are poisonous & you'll be smoking them

• Like 1

Something had to be done, thrips destroyed my breeding project, walked away with about 12 seeds from 12 plants.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

@Kgrows It's pretty early in flower. Week 3 maybe. It's definitely possible that I end up smoking some chemicals, and having an adverse reaction, but I'm also the kind of person who would try that, "for science". I've read up about pyrethrins and azadirachtin, and am not worried about it, at week 3. I also have abundant personal stash in case I don't like pyrol/neem weed.

• Like 1

Yeah, when I don't have stash, I buy. I am certain the stuff I get has been sprayed at some point, commercial growers don't generally care when they spray and what they use.

Next... Neem is not toxic when ingested, so if it's a little scratchy, I'll make edibles.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@growopz @Trailblazer420 neem is definately toxic, lookup azadirachtin poisoning, stomach cramps, vomiting headaches & occasionally  hospitalization, sometimes called cannabis hyperemesis syndrome. it doesnt happen immediately in most cases, generally takes a while, thats why you think its fine, although a harsh smoke. It takes time to build up in your system. Pyrethrum can cause lung irritation. I know it seems small but it will fuck you up. For pests in flower use hydrogen peroxide for foliar & surfaces & DE to the top of the medium. Otherwise use bug on Bug warfare. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

@Kgrows Yeah, next time I'll do hydrogen peroxide instead.  I've read up on neem and pyrol, and am willing to take the risk.  Pyrethrin degrades in a day, and neem oil within three weeks.  So if there's any left in 9 weeks time, it will be very residual.  Happy to be a guinea pig.  Will let everyone know if I throw up after smoking it.

• Like 1

@growopz it would degrade, but the trichs absorb it so it sits in them until you smoke. i'm sure you wont throw up, probably be fine, but for future ref✌️

• Like 1

Well, the pyrol really did a number on the plants, but they'll be ok. Went for a higher concentration (40ml/L) than lower (20ml/L), so the thrips are probably dead, at least. Will keep an eye on it.
Not my most impressive grow by far, but I'm sure it'll bulk up a bit before the deadline, and be a decent little plant.

IMG_20190924_151057.thumb.jpg.53f13a607a54e43920ac2daf39446e79.jpg
These are the Chocolopes?

What light(s) have they been under and what distance have the lights been from the plants?

Node spacing seems to be quite large, reminds me of the Ghost Train Haze, quite Thai Sativa like.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@PsyCLownChocolope on the left, Black Valley on the right. I left them under a 75W Cob (3500k) with 60 degree lens, in the 60*60 tent. Was probably too intense, and only hitting half the plants directly.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, growopz said:

@PsyCLownChocolope on the left, Black Valley on the right. I left them under a 75W Cob (3500k) with 60 degree lens, in the 60*60 tent. Was probably too intense, and only hitting half the plants directly.

Ahh ok, very likely.

Would need more space to have a better spread on the COB and get the full plant.

What medium are you using? It looks as if the grey bucket has water inside of it, then I assume the medium or roots will soak up the water and nutrients from within the grey bucket?

Day 82... Pyrol really maimed the Chocolope. Black Valley not as much. 

The bucket is just to catch the runoff. Was going to set it up for hydro (pump/drip) but just haven't got around to it. I should put something under the pots. I don't actually want them drinking that nutrient goop, as the EC is probably too high. But it should be ok for a few days like this. 

IMG_20190930_091612.jpg

• Like 1

I sprayed some of my plants with a mixture of Pyrol & Neem (I mixed them together in the same bottle) and it certainly can take a toll on the plants. A lot of my leaves got burnt - but I did put them back in with the lights on.

The bottle does warn to do it just before lights off, not sure whether that would actually fully prevent the leaves from burning, as I noticed the leaves started to burn a few days after spraying them too.

Mine were still in veg and recovered quickly though.

With pyrol i normally start at half strength for the first spray. then 3/4 for the second & full for the 3rd spray. the lights will defs burn them at full strength, the little drops act as magnifying lenses. could have been either. i also would not mix the two as they may react with each other, even if they dont either neem or pyrol are strong enough on their own to eliminates pests when needed. its all schoolfees✌️

I sprayed it at lights out, and have an extraction fan on that tent, so it should have dried off by the morning. So I think the burning is just what it does. 

No signs of thrips though, so that's good.