Winter Indoor Grow - Heat

Rikus

From what I've read either add more lights, change the type of lights or add a heater.

I personally will be adding a heater, probably with an Arduino & temp sensor to help maintain a certain temperature.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 2

You can build a ceramic heater array, depending on the size of your grow room. Wire them up and then control them via a thermostat. - No exposed bars, no fans, no extra light (can run in day an night). Only downside is if you have a big grow area you're going to fork out some cash for tthem as they get expensive.

https://reptilecity.co.za/product/exo-terra-heat-wave-lamp-ceramic-heat-emitter-60-watt/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

Buy a small 600w box heater at Clicks and the STC 1000 thermostat from GT or Hydroponic. Hang the box heater from the roof of your tent. Wire your intake and exhaust to the cooling side of the STC 1000 and the heater to the heating side. Cover the red light on the heater or open the heater and cut the lights wires. Tape the protection switch on the underside of the heater down.

My extraction sucks through my lights, and out into the ceiling. Filtered intake is ducted from another room.

The thermostat oscillates between heating and cooling constantly, so I get fresh air all the time, and humidity stays in check.

https://clicks.co.za/safeway_mini-fan-heater/p/232396

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Prom said:

If you have to heat.. I really recommend Gas.. gives you heat and CO2.. double benefit 

How though? I am not aware of any gas heaters which can be hooked up to a thermostat to maintain temperatures.

Having to turn it on / off the whole time is going to be such a pain.

• Agree 1

You could run it full on... But that's quite scary... 

But hooking it up to a thermo isn't so tricky... 

You just need the right solenoid that can open and close a Gas bottle, and an electric ignition source, hook the solenoid up to the thermo and boom.... 

As for the ignition and solenoid parts, you don't want to skimp on these in the least. 

Adding a gas sensor to close the solenoid if excess propane is leaked... 

Last thing you want is everything to go boom... 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 9:05 AM, Prom said:

If you have to heat.. I really recommend Gas.. gives you heat and CO2.. double benefit 

Problem is, you have to heat at lights out. You’ll be wasting CO2. Gas is also more expensive than electricity. And what about humidity? 

On 6/6/2020 at 7:05 PM, CreX said:

You could run it full on... But that's quite scary... 

But hooking it up to a thermo isn't so tricky... 

You just need the right solenoid that can open and close a Gas bottle, and an electric ignition source, hook the solenoid up to the thermo and boom.... 

As for the ignition and solenoid parts, you don't want to skimp on these in the least. 

Adding a gas sensor to close the solenoid if excess propane is leaked... 

Last thing you want is everything to go boom... 

This a pro idea. If you’re not a pro, don’t even think about DIYing it. If you can find a professionally built system, go for it.But know this: If something goes wrong, you can blow up your house, or asphyxiate everyone in the house.
Don’t mess around with this. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Budwizer said:

Problem is, you have to heat at lights out. You’ll be wasting CO2. Gas is also more expensive than electricity. And what about humidity? 

This a pro idea. If you’re not a pro, don’t even think about DIYing it. If you can find a professionally built system, go for it.But know this: If something goes wrong, you can blow up your house, or asphyxiate everyone in the house.
Don’t mess around with this. 

Everybody needs to agree with the above statement because it's probably of upmost importance....

Not even half a light and when you are over 1000 micromol.. you just waste energy without a CO2 generator. At the end depends a bit how "good" your weed has to be.. good weed costs money 😁 and in my book.. that isn't really expensive for a CO2 burner.. 6k is a fair offer 😉 

The Epogee PAR meter was over 10k.. just to give an idea of how much pro gear costs.  

The quickest home remedy I've seen to heat things up in a tent is someone placing a halogen bulb or 2 inline with the air intake.

I'm not sure how effective this is, but it seems like it may work... It may lower humidity though.

I know it's not the norm, but it's the easiest thing if you're really stuck for something.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That sounds like trading one set of problems with another set of problems. 
You do get in line air heaters that you could rather use with your ducting
But I really don't think it's needed in SA

Not sure if this was for me, but when I said inline, I simple meant having the bulbs close or next to the intake vent, with the air passing over the bulbs before entering the tent.

I agree with not recommending the gas heater.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

I only have a cold issue when my big tent is dark.. otherwise I have more of a heat issue 😁 and I use a gas oven as heater if needed. I just turn it on by hand and let it run over night.

Yes it adds a bit moisture to the air, but I can live with that.. the additional CO2 isn't needed to be honest, as I do not have anything running over 1000 micromol. Preparing my big tent for the Battle of the Boards. Then I have enough rest heat to keep all cosy and warm. 

Edited by Prom
typo