Breeding Cannabis at home as a hobby (or more seriously) is now easier than ever before, thanks to the pioneers that have been tirelessly breeding (and preserving) countless of generations since the early 80's in Holland, US and other parts of the world. 

We as hobbyists can now start with proven genetics and try to develop new, or preserve certain traits/effects that the Cannabis flowers posses.

Feel free to ask questions or share your experiences/resources.

Cannabis Breeding Articles

https://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.com/article/cannabis-breeding-basics/

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/what-is-cannabis-breeding

https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog-breeding-and-preserving-cannabis-genetics-at-home-n511

https://www.alchimiaweb.com/blogen/marijuana-growing-guide/history-of-marijuana-strains/

to be continued..

:-rollitup

Edited by Dank
  • Like 4

• Dank pinned this topic
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Dank imagine if we had access to some of the clones from Wonderland Nurseries. That guy Keven sifts through 1000s of plants before selecting his keepers. Use to watch all his videos back in the day...

On another note Mendo Dope who now have become Greenshock Farms are going to start selling seeds. All their Tropical Sley Ride crosses...😑 

@Cannabist you need to hook us up with the genetics from California brother.

• Like 1

For real @Mambawana that would be cool, and probably a reality as the laws normalize around cannabis worldwide.

Kev is a legend, he is one of the big reasons breeders in California are getting recognition and continuing to grow that fire. Also in a way prob the reason that I have a bit of fire from Cali. 

I dig his view about how anybody can sift for their location/tastes/experiences and breed something truly unique that you can enjoy and share.

Busy drying out some BlueberryKush f2's that came straight outa Cali, from a oldtimer breeder dude in LA (got the beans for free as well), will post a nugshot or two when i jar em up.

I keep beans from Europe and those from the States separate, most big seed companies in Europe sift through 1000s, and some  do 10s of 1000s of plants every 4 months, California has thousands of growers and loads of breeders. There is a lot of collaboration between breeders from the States and EU.

Some dank coming from the EU as well, however they are relying a bit on genetics from the states for their "new stuff".

Sjo Mendo Dope boyties are serious, will have to check that out! Will invite Cannabist to the breeder group, not sure if he could see the mention.

Edited by Dank
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dank said:

For real @Mambawana that would be cool, and probably a reality as the laws normalize around cannabis worldwide.

Kev is a legend, he is one of the big reasons breeders in California are getting recognition and continuing to grow that fire. Also in a way prob the reason that I have a bit of fire from Cali. 

I dig his view about how anybody can sift for their location/tastes/experiences and breed something truly unique that you can enjoy and share.

Busy drying out some BlueberryKush f2's that came straight outa Cali, from a oldtimer breeder dude in LA (got the beans for free as well), will post a nugshot or two when i jar em up.

I keep beans from Europe and those from the States separate, most big seed companies in Europe sift through 1000s, and some  do 10s of 1000s of plants every 4 months, California has thousands of growers and loads of breeders. There is a lot of collaboration between breeders from the States and EU.

Some dank coming from the EU as well, however they are relying a bit on genetics from the states for their "new stuff".

Sjo Mendo Dope boyties are serious, will have to check that out! Will invite Cannabist to the breeder group, not sure if he could see the mention.

Cheers to us building our own real life community here in sa. Our own collaborations. Searching and sharing...

I've got a small taste of what it feels like to share my cuts and have someone else grow plants that I've grown many times over and just see how they express themselves differently. It's a happy rewarding feeling, hence why I want to now take the next step and do some home breeding and make some seeds that I can grow and share. Just glad I've met guys like you that have already been doing this and can stop me from making some amateur breeding mistakes.

I've just kicked off something that I never imagined I would do... planted my seeds in search of a stud. Fingers crossed I find one that ticks all the boxes.

• Like 1

That is flippen cool , I'm sure you going to get some good results, luckily Mr and Ms Weed does most the work, we just have to experiment and see what comes from the marriage.

Phenotypical expressions according to the environment is one of the coolest things to see when breeding, experience the greatest teacher, that is for sure!

One of the biggest issues a new breeder can face, breeding with a hermi or male that threw of a lot of herm offspring.

The other trick I would say is when to use one male and when to use more than one male, and visa versa with the females. There is not a wrong or a right way I feel, but depending on what you want to achieve, single males usually to get specific traits passed on, or a male that passes no traits on, more males in the batch if you want to create a bigger diversity within the genome, good for finding new profiles, as well as improving genetic diversity.

Oh yah @Mambawana I completly forgot, about the pollination of the beans, usually seeds need about 3 weeks to mature in my experience, 4 weeks is best. I manually pollinate the lower buds about 3 weeks into flowering, perhaps 4 weeks if she is not a explosive budder. This usually results in enough time for a nice mature bud and also mature seeds.

Thanks for being a part of the group bro, feel free to create a thread here about your breeding program ,if you felt like it of course! :-puffin

Edited by Dank
  • Thanks 1

@Dank 

Before I jump the gun too much I need to find some males. I've got a few good females that have not hermed that I want to pollinate. I plan on doing some random crosses not really based on locking in traits but to produce seeds that I can grow out and search for something new. My question... should I keep copies of the males I use? 

• Like 1

This is really up to you @Mambawana , in the beginning it is probably not necessary to back up the males, but its good practice if you do have the space.

More serious breeders have their prize studs that they keep in veg and try to keep alive for as long as possible. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dank said:

This is really up to you @Mambawana , in the beginning it is probably not necessary to back up the males, but its good practice if you do have the space.

More serious breeders have their prize studs that they keep in veg and try to keep alive for as long as possible. 

I hear you. I have the space buy I don't want to add unnecessary additions to my already full schedule if it's not compulsory. I don't really plan on doing any back crossing so if I needed pollen again I could probably find a male from my F1s and chuck it at other females from different lines or just look for another male from future seeds I buy.

Atleast I can scratch cloning my males now if I sex them before I have to take clones of everything.👊

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Totemic said:

I dont keep males at all. I do collect and store pollen from those that I do choose though. 

Do you guys flower your males indoors or outdoors? If indoors how critical is the light intensity? I have a 400w hps for them but would t5s be sufficient? Sorry for all the questions...

But last 1... how many weeks on average do you flower your males? Till you have enough pollen or till the end so that you can complete your logs on its traits etc.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mambawana said:

Do you guys flower your males indoors or outdoors? If indoors how critical is the light intensity? I have a 400w hps for them but would t5s be sufficient? Sorry for all the questions...

But last 1... how many weeks on average do you flower your males? Till you have enough pollen or till the end so that you can complete your logs on its traits etc.

Thanks in advance.

Good questions, no need to apologize, that is what this group is about. :-greenthumb

There is a bit of debate about this, I have heard people say light intensity doesn't matter much, as long as you grow a healthy male, etc, etc.

My personal view is that a male that grew under a t5 might have some children that doesn't do well in the sun. Just a theory.

I try to breed under the sun as well as under the hps when possible, hps for seeds I am aiming to grow inside, and the sun for outdoor varieties.

Some males will take a bit longer to flower than others, in a controlled environment you could leave the male to make a fat flower. 

Harvesting males as soon as the pollen starts to drop will result in the least pollen, waiting about 2 weeks after first pollen drops will give you a lot more pollen, you can take a look at @CreX indoor competition diary, a very good example of a male flowering.

Edit: grabbed the link - 

Edited by Dank
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dank said:

Good questions, no need to apologize, that is what this group is about. :-greenthumb

There is a bit of debate about this, I have heard people say light intensity doesn't matter much, as long as you grow a healthy male, etc, etc.

My personal view is that a male that grew under a t5 might have some children that doesn't do well in the sun. Just a theory.

I try to breed under the sun as well as under the hps when possible, hps for seeds I am aiming to grow inside, and the sun for outdoor varieties.

Some males will take a bit longer to flower than others, in a controlled environment and depending how many seeds you want to make. 

Harvesting males as soon as the pollen starts to drop will result in the least pollen, waiting about 2 weeks after first pollen drops will give you a lot more pollen, you can take a look at @CreX indoor competition diary, a very good example of a male flowering.

Thanks for the response.

So maybe what I should do is keep the males in my flower room till they just begin flowering and then move them to their 400W cupboard till I collect sufficient pollen. Okay so that's the plan... exciting times ahead... watch how I only find females now that I want males... Murphy's law... 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mambawana said:

Thanks for the response.

So maybe what I should do is keep the males in my flower room till they just begin flowering and then move them to their 400W cupboard till I collect sufficient pollen. Okay so that's the plan... exciting times ahead... watch how I only find females now that I want males... Murphy's law... 

That is exactly what happened to me this winter :poke Had one male but he didn't make the cut, will get searching again soon, moving house is no breeders friend!

Best of luck man, may the frost be with you! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dank said:

That is exactly what happened to me this winter :poke Had one male but he didn't make the cut, will get searching again soon, moving house is no breeders friend!

Best of luck man, may the frost be with you! 

Wow I can't imagine moving house... I would make sure I grow enough bud to last me a year coz that's how long it would probably take to set-up again. Will let you know when I get some pollen... sharing is caring... ✌️

• Like 1

On 11/21/2019 at 8:30 PM, Mambawana said:

@Dank imagine if we had access to some of the clones from Wonderland Nurseries. That guy Keven sifts through 1000s of plants before selecting his keepers. Use to watch all his videos back in the day...

On another note Mendo Dope who now have become Greenshock Farms are going to start selling seeds. All their Tropical Sley Ride crosses...😑 

@Cannabist you need to hook us up with the genetics from California brother.

I only read your post properly now, ye im keen. 

Could work something out to bring in seeds this club wants at cost, piggybacking of our normal orders to help with genetic diversity vs cost of seeds in SA. Or just each contribute to shipping. 

Long term goal then for me would be to sell local stable genetics which the community breeds.

Personally never selectively bred though super keen to after watch some of the vids. Def going to start after back from December holiday. One of my cats just killed of half of my outdoor seedlings!

Not sure if you guys have seen seedfinder.eu, on my phone so hard to find the link im looking for on their site but it's great for research. 

Let me know what you guys think.

Edited by Cannabist
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Cannabist said:

I only read your post properly now, ye im keen. 

Could work something out to bring in seeds this club wants at cost, piggybacking of our normal orders to help with genetic diversity vs cost of seeds in SA. Or just each contribute to shipping. 

Long term goal then for me would be to sell local stable genetics which the community breeds.

Personally never selectively bred though super keen to after watch some of the vids. Def going to start after back from December holiday. One of my cats just killed of half of my outdoor seedlings!

Not sure if you guys have seen seedfinder.eu, on my phone so hard to find the link im looking for on their site but it's great for research. 

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks cannabist for your attitude towards what it means for us to get the real FIRE genetics to work with.

If your supplier can order from empire breeding company, we don't need to look any further. Expensive but they stock the best of the best. Proper breeding stock. They even stock Loki's gear.

On Friday I will be placing an order for a pack of darkhorse genetics original Bruce banner. It's the real deal. Too bad you don't stock their strawberry diesel f2, Bruce's mama. On average a 10pack is providing like 4 keepers and a choice of good studs.

All my info is coming from private grower friends in the states that have become cannabis celebs since I've known them. These are the lines they currently working and the offsprings are off the chain. They not into breeding to sell seeds. They in it to be ahead of all the huge cultivation centres that are monopolizing their market.

Just to avoid confusion I need to state that I haven't breed any seeds as yet in my growing career. I've come a long way as a grower, grown in many different styles. Since legalisation I started uping my game cos I love having 20 different strains to smoke. Variety is the spice of life. Run after run has always been about improving yield and quality. Nowadays things run on autopilot for the most part.  I'm honestly tired off buying seeds and being disappointed with the mediocre results. My friends think I'm crazy and that my quality is up there but I know in my heart it's nothing compared to the real FIRE. It's lacking those exotic terps. So I've decided that I want to start making some seeds just for personal hunting and maybe share it with other local breeders if they interested. The one thing I'm proud off is my grow set up. I now have the facility in place to make seeds, pheno hunt and if need be, take seed making into proper breeding. Who knows where this leads too. Sorry for yapping guys... Peace

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

1st bash @ selective breeding...

So I have chosen the 1st male that's part of my breeding plan. He's too stinky to ignore or look any further at his brothers. The other male I need I will probably choose in early flower.

Male 1: Electric Watermelon x 9lb Hammer

Male 2: Pineapple Skunk.

The 4 chosen ladies that I want to knock up are:

Gorilla Girl

Sweet Orange Cookies Sherbs

Wedding Cake

Amnesia CBD

I have taken 2 cuts of each strain so each gentleman has a set of ladies of his own. 

IMG_20191221_101113.jpg

IMG_20191221_101148.jpg

• Like 1

Looking forward to checking the progeny of your breeding project @Mambawana :-puffin

Feel free to start a thread about it (if you wanted) under "Whats in your stable", you can call it whatever you wish, just add - Breeder: Mambawana.

Want to reply to the topics above mentioned by you and @Cannabist , but will wait for some decent me time and write a proper post, stoked to see all this activity in the breeders group!

:-greenthumb

@Dank 

Thanks for showing some interest. Appreciate it.

No problem I will create a new thread for this in the appropriate place as you mentioned. I'm very close to harvest at the moment so what I will do is take some pics of each of my chosen cuts on harvest day so you guys can see why I chose those cuts. And I'll also show the female versions of the chosen males in flower. This way whoever I give testers too can be confident of the lineage and test the seeds to the best of their ability...

• Like 1

Yeh sorry I have been a bit scarce the last month, very stoked with all the activity in the breeders group. I want to make this group a place for the community to get to know local breeders, arrange testers and also to learn about breeding if they wish.

Have been a bit busy, but should get some new projects off the ground soon, hopefully by the new year.

Will try and get some budshots up of the my Blueberry Kush f2's that cured a bit more than a month now. Been meaning to show off some fire, will get some time today i hope!

• Like 1

We need more of this.
Local breeders showcasing their skills.
As a grower I'm enjoying the testing and growing out of local breeders strains.
It gives me the opportunity to add to my skill set and experience local breeders' dankness.
There is a sense of pride being involved in this endeavour.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cannabist said:

@Mambawana have you managed get some fire strains from the states yet?

If I can get a list of what isn't available on seedmans that guys want to breed, I'll forward to my supplier and see if they can make a plan as they bring in from cali..

Empire Breeding Company...

They have a website. Go check out there 🔥🔥🔥

Ocean Grown genetics i.e. Vader OG gear. That guy has really worked his lines. Will be good gear to work with as most of the hard time consuming work has already been done.

• Like 1

• Dank unpinned this topic

• Similar Content

• By monkeybar
      Hey guys! 
      I am really looking forward to this grow. Objective is for personal breeding purposes. 
      This will be my first time experimenting with breeding cannabis, any help is appreciated 🙂

Currently growing Laughing Buddha (Barney's Farm) and Charlotte's Angel (Dutch Passion). Plan is to cross Novakane with these strains, as well as breeding Novakane F2 seeds. 
      Novakane F1 seeds were sourced from @Totemic. On a side note, just a thank you from my part. The beans I ordered arrived swiftly, with a lot of freebies! The quality of these seeds are unmatched. 

Started germinating today, soaked 5 regular seeds for 30min in Explogrow. Afterwards transferring them to a 1:100 solution of Explogrow and pH 6 water for 12 hours. 
      Am a fan of the paper-towel method, and have had great success placing said paper-towel inside a plastic bag on top of my router. Will do this next...

Grow setup:
      240W LM301b + Epistar 660nm Kingbrite Quantum Board
      Freedom Farms Premium Soil
      T.A. Pro Organic Nutrients
      1.2 x 0.7m Grow Tent

• By SaVanT
      Hi everyone,
      First time posting here. So here is photos of my plants that's been growing since last year October until now.
      Apologies if the photos are not in order from start to where they are now.

Medium:                    Coco, Vermiculite, Pearlite ((Topped with a layer of sterile sand))
                                          Think these are 8L buckets. They are very small
      Feeding:                     Manual hydro feed every day by hand
                                          Sometimes the rain helped a bit
      Feeding schedule:    Feed Feed water, Feed feed water etc.
                                          Foliar Feeding every water day at 4pm
      Strains:                      No idea xD
      Germinate day:         3rd October 2019
      Environment:            Outdoor under 10% Shade netting on top, Insect netting on the sides
                                          Had to move some of them to the outside, as space was a problem

Would appreciate it if anyone can help identify the strains. 

Do excuse the top colas of the sativas thats touching the roof (I know i cringe as well but those ones want to reach heaven it seems.

Enjoy

• By MissMayhem
      Hey guys, 
      I'm new to the forum, I saw there was a poll on the local seed banks but a few of the sites were down and some were great. I'm just looking for some variety on a pick n mix batch of about 3 different high thc strains. Feminized. 
      Can anyone suggest any decent places and nice very high the strains?
      I've been thinking of buying from cannasmiths, biltong n budz or greensmokeroom. 
      Have some nice strains, decent prices and sell individual seeds,
      Looking at royal gorilla, Jack herer, utopia haze, Durban poison
      Jackys girl on gsr sounds amazing, a touch out of my price for one seed. 
      Any local strains that are especially good in our climate?
      Is there anything I should watch out for with any of the local seed banks?
      Any and all feed back appreciated :)
    • By Dank
      I just finished ordering some new studs and girls for my next breeding projects, some new lines and some to pimp up existing crosses i have had the pleasure of working with.
      It is not always easy deciding which way to go selecting genetics, seed banks, new strains, old proven classics, etc. 
      This got me thinking, what strains would you guys and gals like to see available here on the forum as tester seeds (or breeding stock)?
    • By Dank
      Sup 420SA 
      Disclaimer: I breed Cannabis seed as a hobby to help preserve seeds (genetics) and possibly improve certain strains. I provide these genetics for free to our Collective of growers, most of which are medical patients. 
      I am not a master breeder, this was the first year that I could see so many of my own crosses being grown out, a wonderful experience. After being a custodian for so many years, it is time we share the Fire with the community.
      Some of the bud shots will be grown by me, most pictures I will post here will be from growers and future breeders in our Collective.  
      Blessed love