Grow Diary Update 2:

So, I had just popped the three ladies in the back about 2 weeks ago, heard about this compo & the chocolope😎 so i entered, got my seeds by that Friday & started germinating the Saturday.  I only chose to pop 4 of the chocolope, as my grow room was only ever supposed to handle 4 plants at a time, now @7 in total. I can accommodate the extra plants, so the chocolope will join the rest of the ladies for this grow.

Tried the volcano sexing method, not a believer tbh. 4/4 have germinated, one on the left is out the soil but a bit slow. After 24 hrs in water with a bit of H2O2 the another 24h in paper towel, 3 had shown tap roots, the 4th - nada. Took it out, filed the seam with a nail file & scuffed the rest of the seed, 12 hrs later tap root was out, 36 hrs later in was in seedling starter soil. The other 3 plants had already sprouted & here we are. POA - once the plants have established a bit more i'll move them to the next size pot, where i'll be switching to cocoperl, completely organic hydro & under HID.

Thanks to everyone involved in organising this - you guys rock! 

Peace for now ✌️

1410460136_IMG_8909LR.thumb.jpg.3c6d16f32342ae2bee9537ab1978243c.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

Grow Update 3:

Chocolopes are looking good, maybe a bit slow due to massive temp drops at night over the last week. But they are looking healthy, they did go through an initial stretch, which i don't mind. Both the light & the genetics, (i'm guessing haze pheno) had a part to play. Running them under 400w MH , normally run cfl at this stage. First week @ 200w second @ 400w & at 1m above. gave them a very light feed yesterday & some microbes for the soil. 

The crit jack, moby dick & SS haze are not part of the compo but are part of the grow, they've definitely been stunted - will put up a post in the correct topic on these!

20190608_150538.thumb.jpg.759f1fd11d02f0189d7311cc149ce9cd.jpg

20190609_104524 copy.jpg

20190609_104534 copy.jpg

20190609_104546 copy.jpg

20190609_104557 copy.jpg

• Like 6

Grow Update 3:

MEH! ok so it looks like I underestimated how stunted the plants were, cold really fucked up the growth, leaving me at least 2 weeks behind the competition. Chocolope 1-4 from left to right. 1 & 3 as well as the girls in the back are all showing P def, all plants are showing N def. Started feeding a more concentrated mix now, i assumed the seedling starter soil would have enough nutes, but as they say, "Assumption is the mother of all fuckups!" I hadnt seen any signs of of positive growth for a week and a half (i do timelapses), so i introduced a heat source last week & changed the lighting cycle to 6/2. current temps are btw 22 & 29C.  Struggling with keeping humidity up, currently btw 35 & 45%. With the new light cycle I saw positive growth on Friday & has continued consistently since then so i may be back on track. I've recently moved to a new area so the cold was unexpected & I just moved to organics from synthetics & its a sharp learning curve, trust! Anyways lotsa mistakes, hopefully they'll all recover & get going now!

20190617_081421.thumb.jpg.18115bf3ecf1c922acc750ef755feab5.jpg

#1: P def clearly

20190617_081457.thumb.jpg.ee1d47dcdbaebb466110d5c8d197fc27.jpg

#2: this is the lady that had to be re-germinated, pulled out of soil, scuffed & back in water, outta soil 2 days after the rest. has been the fastest grower of the lot - could be male? also seems to have a leaf mutation.

20190617_081437.thumb.jpg.f1d8a6545022a3638ef6f1377bd394a8.jpg

#3: another with early signs of deficiencies. i've been foliar feeding while the plants are recovering, cotyledons are dying 😞

20190617_081452.thumb.jpg.6be94d7735177e2489d35f91d4b6f38a.jpg

#4: second fastest grower!

20190617_081446.thumb.jpg.cd70951d11f03c884d07d04da6331118.jpg

excuse the blurry pics, been hectic & will resume with the good shit when i get time!

• Sad 1

Something is wrong with your medium. All plants are terribly suffering.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Totemic said:

Something is wrong with your medium. All plants are terribly suffering.

I agree... Seedlings have enough nutes to get them pretty far on their own. 

The soil might be devoid of good microbial life and I would gander/bet your root zone is suffering... 

I would get some microbe tea on them yesterday. 

Let me know if you need some, if you aren't too far I can hook you up

• Agree 1

Looks like that medium holds water too long yeah...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Totemic @CreX @CG420za I've come to the same conclusions as well as temp issues (dropped to about 10C late at night) & started taking steps last week. i've added microbes, & Nutes - biobizz, got my heat up & air circulation so i'm able to dry the medium fairly quickly now, also loosened the soil gently. i've got myco in the root zone, but i'm thinking that it was a bit too wet initially, increased kelpak dose to assist with new root development. going to do a microbe feed next (once soil is a bit dry), low amount, but full dose, with some amino mix & molasses. 

TBH i know i messed up with germination, originally was going into coco immediately but changed my mind last minute & bought the first seedling mix i could find. My mistake was not adding perlite & starting with a better seedling mix, this one is a bad choice - culterra. should've known.

I'll transplant them as soon as they've bounced back, for now i dont think they'd survive.

@Totemic@CreX @CG420za Let me know what you think of my POA? suggestions would be appreciated

as i mentioned with the adjustments i've done so far, i've started seeing positive growth at a decent rate for 3 days now, i do timelapses on the plants so i can see how they react to environmental changes etc. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@CreX thanks for the offer! i'll pm you, how did you make your tea? i'm going to try get some worm tea for the feed after next

Edited by Kgrows

1 hour ago, Kgrows said:

@Totemic @CreX @CG420za I've come to the same conclusions as well as temp issues (dropped to about 10C late at night) & started taking steps last week. i've added microbes, & Nutes - biobizz, got my heat up & air circulation so i'm able to dry the medium fairly quickly now, also loosened the soil gently. i've got myco in the root zone, but i'm thinking that it was a bit too wet initially, increased kelpak dose to assist with new root development. going to do a microbe feed next (once soil is a bit dry), low amount, but full dose, with some amino mix & molasses. 

TBH i know i messed up with germination, originally was going into coco immediately but changed my mind last minute & bought the first seedling mix i could find. My mistake was not adding perlite & starting with a better seedling mix, this one is a bad choice - culterra. should've known.

I'll transplant them as soon as they've bounced back, for now i dont think they'd survive.

@Totemic@CreX @CG420za Let me know what you think of my POA? suggestions would be appreciated

as i mentioned with the adjustments i've done so far, i've started seeing positive growth at a decent rate for 3 days now, i do timelapses on the plants so i can see how they react to environmental changes etc. 

Glad to hear they're looking better! Drainability is always NB, perlite will definitely help it dry out easier and aerate the roots.

It's actually good if seedling starter mix has no nutes, as your seedlings only need it once they really get photosynthesizing about 2-3 weeks after sprouting, and have a couple of pairs of true leaves. 

Worm tea is gentle and will help boost those fragile babies.👶

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

What medium are those plantjies planted in @Kgrows ? Edit again: I saw now it is Cultera, waiting for the microbes to balance things out could take a while, especially if the ph is gefok.

When roots have been affected by root rot, brought on by many different reasons, the most being overwatering, the only hope might be a transplant. 

Sometimes growers can kill their plants by trying too many things, from my experience, a transplant into a a nice soilmix would be best. 

It is also super important that any soilmix is not "hot". Just a gentle well airrated mix, nothing too serious.

Weed really likes a wet to dry cycle. :-greenthumb

EDIT: If you have some mycorrhizal fungi you can use it during transplant to help minimize stress and help the plants recover.

Edited by Dank
Adding extra infos
  • Agree 2

Everything this man just said above. The sooner you can transplant, the better.

Less is more with this plant. I do less with each grow and the results are always better than before. A decent soil, less water than you think is needed and watch your plants, they will tell you what they need.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Dank yeah i have myco in the root zone already, i was worried about transplanting them as they are now, but i'll give it a go. it would be my advice too. the PH has been fine tbh, but there must be something else going on & i suspect it may be the microbes as @CreX said. 

I'm going to mix my own medium this time. @Dank @Hornygoatsweed @CG420za @Totemic  @CreX let me know what you think: 1 part compost, 1 part perlite, 2 parts coco (buffered with calmag & Biobizz nutes) 1 part peat, watered with some weak compost tea, will add some myco as well. I'm limited to what i can get quickly where i am.

So I've popped my other 2 beans into water now, in an effort to try save face if the rest dont make it out of the transplant - i did put the request up on the rules & guidelines which no one has said anything about so i'm assuming its all good.

20190617_182521.thumb.jpg.2c6b40944e13195f25d7576034c0e515.jpg20190617_190115.thumb.jpg.56c1dd9abbf2daa4ce0f559084b2cebd.jpg

@Kgrows, I've had SOME success with cultera, but have a suspicious feeling that it may have been the cause of my gnat infestation. Not the greatest soil to use, even as a base for your mix.

Don't feel too bad about being behind, there will be plenty of time to catch up. I don't even think I'm a full week in yet.

Make sure your pH is fine, as this will cause major lockout.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@Trailblazer420 its a kak one, i've never lost a seedling before but suppose its schoolfees for switching to organic. I've used it previously & it worked perfectly but was feeding synthetic nutes, so maybe the microbes are the main issue here, either bad or non existant. I'll use the rest of the culterra to start a small compost heap.

May be a good idea. One of the bags in the last batch Cultura I bought looked like the soil actually started to pick up mildew.

[mention=1249]Trailblazer420[/mention] its a kak one, i've never lost a seedling before but suppose its schoolfees for switching to organic. I've used it previously & it worked perfectly but was feeding synthetic nutes, so maybe the microbes are the main issue here, either bad or non existant. I'll use the rest of the culterra to start a small compost heap.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Kgrows the soil mix sounds good, you could adjust perlite if you wanted it a bit lighter.

Like with most things the quality of the ingredients will most likely make or break the mix.

Be sure that your compost/earthcastings is not "fresh" or "hot" as it will most likely just burn the hell out of the plants.

You have the BioBizz (magic sauce) and plants do very well on it.

Edited by Dank
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

@Dank thanks for your help! 

the compost is fresh, how do i de-activate it?

biobizz, first grow with it, but advice on strength? as per the recommended dosages? TIA

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Kgrows If the compost is fresh is is usually younger than 6 months (my opinion), I like compost that is about a year old. 

Tilling compost helps it to decompose a bit faster, I don't till so I wait for the worms and microbes to do the work.

Here is a pretty good article about it - https://www.planetnatural.com/composting-101/making/finished-compost/ 

If it was me and I only had fresh compost, I would leave it out of the mix and follow the biobizz feeding schedule for "light mix".

Is it possible for you to get some high quality worm castings. I think Vurmbosch is pretty good even though I have never used them.

Side note - Any new soil mix containing a mix of amendments should in itself be considered a "hot" mix and allowed some time to cool down.

For this emergency situation might be best to go with good coco (buffered like u mentioned) with perlite and maybe some vermiculite. 

Then prepare a "hot" soil mix for the seedlings, and when they are ready for their next transplant, soil should then also be cool enough, provided compost/wormcastings weren't "hot" to begin with.

Edited by Dank
  • Agree 1