Shaun

Hi guys I just joined and can say that the growing bug has bit me hard lol.

I'm new to growing and got my Mars grow tent and lights set up and raring to go I'm growing some autos and photos and using some soil from our local nursery that they made up for growers and I'm growing some in coco perlite 50 50.

The seedings are growing nice and fast the photo a bit faster than the autos the autos are in the coco perlite and the photo in soil.

I got some clones from a friend the other day which he was growing in like a soil potting mix 

I transplanted it into a bigger pot with coco perlite but now its showing some signs it's not happy some leaves has rusty Mark's on it but its random and does not look like its moving from bottom to top 

Any advice on what I'm doing wrong 

Please help 

20190518_085645.jpg

• Like 1

I got the flora range but I have not got any cal mag yet I'm using tap water so not sure if that is a problem 

I read somewhere that our tap water has alot of calcium in it so I didn't get the cal mag 

It appeared a day after feeding so I thought it was too much food so I flushed her yesterday but I don't have a ec pen yet to check the nutrients the ph on the run off was about 6 I only have the cheap liquid solution test kit I still need to get all the proper testing equipment just don't have the money right now after buying the tents and stuff 

Welcome to 420SA @Shaun , congrats on your first grow.

First thing, water out of the tap is a big no, the chlorine and other chemicals in the tap water will kill many beneficial microbes that are starting to colonize your growing medium. When using tap water it is best to let it stand for at least 24 hours, preferably 48 hours before mixing nutrients and feeding.

Overwatering must be one of the biggest mistakes new growers make and can be a little bit tricky with Coco/Perlite when starting out. The thing to remember is that you will need to supply all the plants needs via your watering. I am assuming the mix is clean (washed) cocopeat and perlite, with nothing else, basically a hydro mix?

Could you tell us about the conditions the plant has, temps, humidity, how often you water, etc. Also if you could perhaps post some pics of the new growth it will also help. Plants very rarely fix the damage on the lower leaves after a problem occurred, so it is important to take a look at all the other growth.

26 minutes ago, Shaun said:

I only have the liquid testing kit I'm trying to keep my water after the nutrients are added at about 6 to 6.5

You need to be between 5.5 and 6 before feeding. The water needs to go a light orange when testing with the drops. You've transplanted from soil to coco/perlite so now you should consider your medium to be hydroponic and hydro prefers that PH.

Don't worry about the chlorine in the tap water and letting it sit, that's best applied when growing with soil. You're growing hydro now so there's no need to worry about the microlife, the salt nutrients will be reducing the microlife anyway. You actually wanna go as sterile as possible if you wanna do hydro properly in my opinion

Ok great thanks for the advice I'm running temps in the tent of around 25 to 27 degrees and keeping the humidity at about 70 percent 

The coco is a 50 50 mix I bought from hydroponic online its 50 coco and 50 perlite 

I have not really got a watering schedule down yet as I have plants at so many different stages but I did flush everything two days ago and gave them a small about of floramicro 1ml to 4l water this morning 

20190518_121017.jpg

7 hours ago, 420SA said:

You need to be between 5.5 and 6 before feeding. The water needs to go a light orange when testing with the drops. You've transplanted from soil to coco/perlite so now you should consider your medium to be hydroponic and hydro prefers that PH.

Don't worry about the chlorine in the tap water and letting it sit, that's best applied when growing with soil. You're growing hydro now so there's no need to worry about the microlife, the salt nutrients will be reducing the microlife anyway. You actually wanna go as sterile as possible if you wanna do hydro properly in my opinion

Wow, I must say I don't think I would ever see anybody advising to give chlorinated water to plants, it is also fine to drink the chlorinated water out of a tap, doesn't mean your intestinal flora will be happy about it. 

To each their own, de-chlorinated water will still be sterile, in my opinion, even if you are growing hydro, why go ahead and kill the rhizosphere around the roots every day. Oh yeh the salts, hydro. :-rolled

"The rhizosphere is the narrow region of soil that is directly influenced by root secretions, and associated soil microorganisms known as the root microbiome."

Just my 2 cents.
Edited by Dank

1 hour ago, Totemic said:

Reality check. Our water in SA is not so contaminated with choramine as you suggest. In fact our tap water actually teams with life. I grow with only the micro herd in mind and tap water is more than fine.

Actually trying to help, I am not sure ALL OF  SA's water is the same as the water you get? Or is it, our municipalities function at such a high standard.

There is also this, I am by no means a expert but, correct the experts if they are wrong.

Chlorine and Chloramines

The most common issue regarding tap water and hydroponics is chlorine. Many growers don’t realize that chlorine is a micronutrient required by plants. The quantity they need is extremely minimal, though, so you do not ever need to add any.

Most growers add chlorine without realizing it, since it is already in tap water—this is a rookie mistake. Because plants can absorb this micronutrient, they take in far too much from unfiltered tap water. The result is diminished growth.

Root health is also disturbed by chlorine; beneficial bacteria and fungi are quickly killed off by this bleach-y element. The microflora and microfauna living in the root zone are key to high yields and healthy vigor—without bacteria, organic nutrients would be unavailable to roots. Don’t let chlorine kill the good guys!

Chloramines are chemical compounds of ammonia and chlorine that are also often used as municipal water supply sanitizers. Chloramines do not evaporate from water the way chlorine does and many water filters that remove chlorine cannot remove chloramine. The effects of chloramine on your garden are even more detrimental than chlorine.

-

maximumyield.com/tap-water-and-its-impact-on-hydroponic-nutrients-and-supplements/2/959

-

1 minute ago, Shaun said:

Sorry for causing a fuss I'm just trying to do the best thing for the plants I don't mind buying water if I need too I just don't know what water to get o.r water or distilled 

No fuss bro, I'm also a newb here at this forum. Don't buy any water, chlorine evaporates out of the tap water and @Totemic says no problem so I would really listen to them. I have abundance of rain, boorgat and river water, perhaps why i think its crazy giving municipal water to plants. 

Honestly though, listen to @Totemic and @420SA , regarding this matter, I am a organic soil grower. 

Buying water also just sounds very wrong.

:-peace

Sorry for causing a fuss I'm just trying to do the best thing for the plants I don't mind buying water if I need too I just don't know what water to get o.r water or distilled 
Distilled water is not good for plants. I believe if you use tap water you should be good, if the chlorine is a problem let it stand for a day.
Enjoy the the plants. Puff puff pass....

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm not saying that using chlorinated water is advised over using dechlorinated water. I just don't think its worth the effort when growing in hydro. Like Totemic said the water really isn't that bad.

@Shaun Let it sit for 24h if you really want to. Maybe there is a small benefit to nutrient uptake but I don't think it will be much at all. I wouldn't delay a feed over it.

The water out the tap does contain some calcium too, I'd add a bit of it to feeds. Rain water doesn't have any so you have to add more calmag to that. I'd say that plant is having a bit of lockout, hydro is always quick in showing problems and you need to be on it. PH is perfect in the 5.5-6.0 range with the added perlite in there.

Sent from my G3312 using Tapatalk

• Like 1