Organic Super Soil and Pro Mix

Guest Totemic

There is just something about organics that make buds so tasty. There is no better organic growing than in a "Living Soil" teaming with beneficial Bacteria, Mycorrhizal Fungi, and everything else your Cannabis needs to grow the dankest of bud. And best of all, you don't need any other nutrients at all for the entire life cycle of the plant.

When I decided to go a full on organic route, I spent hours and hours searching the net for formulations, that are firstly effective, and secondly, has ingredients that are easily obtainable in South Africa from a sustainable source, and affordable. I have had to make many substitutions, since guano’s are not so readily available, and they are super expensive when you do manage to get hold of it.

So I thought I would share my soil mix that I grow all my babies in.

Super Soil Ingredients

60l Potting Soil (I use DoubleGrow)

40l Mushroom Compost ( Also DoubleGrow)

25l Worm Castings (Hortishop)

500g Bone Meal

500g Talborne  (I do not use the Fruit and flower, but the VitaVeg 6-3-4)

1kg SeaMunGus (Chicken Manure and Kelp pellets and plants love it!)

1kg Lucerne Pellets (Rabbit food)

500g Agricultural Lime

500g Volcanic Rock Dust (Turbogrow)

1 sachet of rock phosphate

500g Mycoroot

1 Compost activator sachet (Effecto Brand)

500g Brown Sugar (You can add Molasses, but I find that it takes the micro-organisms longer to eat up the sugar)

Once all these are thoroughly mixed, this soil needs to mature and stabilize over a period of 2-3 months minimum; however the soil becomes sweeter the longer you leave it. I store my soil in large black bins, and chuck the whole lot out and mix through once a month for the first 2 months.

This soil needs to be kept only just moist, but not wet.

Pro Mix Ingredients

60l Coco Peat

30l Worm castings

30l Mushroom compost

20l Perlite

40L Super Soil (This first needs to stabilize before using)

500g Bone Meal

500g Talborne VitaVeg 6-3-4

500g volcanic Rock Dust

500g Mycoroot

500g Agricultural Lime

Regardless of the size of the container I grow in, I fill the bottom half with Super Soil, and the remainder with Pro Mix.

From seed to harvest I have never had deficient plants, and I only use de-chlorinated tap water (Just let it stand for 24 hours or more to let all the Chlorine evaporate.  Unless your tap water pH is really off, you don’t even need to pH correct your water. The lime in the mix is a brilliant buffer to acidity.

It does cost a bit to mix this soil up, but the results speak for themselves!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Going and sampling soil from the mountains and forests are a very good way to ensure that you have a soil that is teaming with local strains of fungi and bacteria, and will help a lot with immune stability of your plants.  Always look for patches where the humus is a few centimeters thick, and sample from there. 

:-peace

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi friends. The original post from Totemic sparked a research project and I found an organic living soil mix on the Jamie's Garden shop website. It seems to have all of the required, basic aspects. I'm interested in trying an organic alternative for my next grow. I would like some input from the gang if there is any. :) $moke

• 4 months later...

Hi Totemic

I've been searching the net for organic recipe's but we don't have the brands they have overseas so it made it quite difficult.

Very pleased to have found this and all of the ingredients are easily available.

I just wanted to check, you have the super soil and the pro mix and you use both. If I use just one or the other would that also be fine? I also notice the first mix doesn't have any perlite, would it do any harm if I add a bit to it?

Also can I substitute the agricultural lime for dolomite lime?

Thanks for sharing this, It looks like a fantastic mix... I'm going to mix up a batch of the super soil this weekend :)

Hi AJ,

I use both when i want to grow out a plant, and not really have to feed it anything throughout the grow. By adding the supersoil to the bottom, and the promix to the top, allows the younger plants to establish their root systems, and grow into the supersoil to get the nutes. Planting a seed/seedling into supersoil directly will kill it.

You can also only use the promix if you are going to suppliment with organic feeding.

You can add perlite to the supersoil if you'd like more air.

Agricultural lime is dolomite lime.

:-peace

• Like 1

Guest Maxwell

In my experience with soil, as long as you do it correctly, it can never go wrong. My current batch is super strong, but seedlings don't even flinch. It is all about the cooking process imo. Ingredients play less of a role than I initially thought. Cook your soil right, and no matter the plant size, it'll be fine. I only use water, start to finish. If you begin with some basic principles in place, the rest is largely patience and dedication. Uncooked soil is pointless imo.  :-peace

Hi Guys.

I have managed to source most of the things I need, Totemic maybe you can help me here. I can't track down the Lucerne. I tried a few pet shops but they all seem to be selling either like a rabbit muesli or a mix that has a bit of lucerne in but also corn, sunflower seeds, hay and who knows what else.

I also can't track down the Taiborne. I checked their website and then tried Stodels Bellville and Milnerton. I also tried Super Plants and PnP Hyper (it says on their site they have it) None of them had.

Hortishop is out of worm castings but they getting today I think.

Where did you buy the Talborne and lucerne?

Thanks a mil

• 9 months later...

Was just speed reading and saw your post about Lucerne, rabbit food. Was feeding horses just the other day, that rabbit mix might work wonders actually. The season I say that is horse lucerne pellets are mixed with strong amounts of mollases, especially those game licks. So probably just throw it in your brew and there will be extra activity.

• 3 years later...

Quite the thread revival, I know.

So who all is using this soil and how is it performing?

Do you just chuck the ingredients together in a big bin and close it and leave it outside? Does it need sun or heat?

Any modifications to the recipe? Freedom Farms soil has become popular, perhaps that's instead or?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 420SA unpinned this topic