Frankenstein Build

Hi all,

Since this will be my first grow and I plan on mostly growing outdoors (when the seasons allow) I didn’t really want to spend money on a tent. I decided to build a cabinet with stuff I had lying around. The only thing I bought for this build is the light.

It’s not quite done, I still need to build the doors, seal the joints, paint, tidy wiring and install ducting (which I’ll also have to buy). 

Size: 1m x 1.4m x 1.7m Construction: Steel angle iron (repurposed shelving), 3mm Masonite (white one side, left overs from kitchen redo, that’s what’s on the back of your cupboards), Active exhaust (6” bathroom ceiling fan, my wife complained it’s too loud for the bathroom), passive inlet (for now, I’ll see what the temps do), 600w HID light (magnetic ballast, outside cabinet), I reinforced the roof with a few planks so it doubles as extra storage space.

I built it in an outside store room, the room has a corrugated roof with a ceiling and it’s shaded by a big tree. It’s always a bit cooler in there than anywhere else on the property. 

Let me know if you have any suggestions. This wasn’t supposed to be a stealth build, I know it looks suspicious af. 😂

F59690EB-7FFE-4200-81D2-7616FF16FD6E.jpeg

8D360D23-809A-43DD-B5F5-29BEB0F4D9B6.jpeg

FB3A1441-6935-4EE8-9377-2780B1118815.jpeg

32FBD823-458C-481C-A4E9-A2C7110C977A.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, 420SA said:

Looks good dude she'll do you alright as long as you cant get the ventilation sorted. Exhaust is on the roof right? Where is your passive intake?

Thanks, I think it should work.

Exhaust is on the roof (6inch, 240m3/h - works out to all the air inside replaced every 30 seconds), venting outside so not in the same room.

Passive intakes will be located on the side panel that you see when the doors are open (4 x (15cm x 15cm) holes, obviously as close to the bottom as possible), this gives me an intake:exhaust ratio of 5:1 which I believe is optimal? That side there’s about 20cm between the cabinet and a wall so that’s the side I’m the least worried about light getting in/out.

Edited by Zaskar09
Changed my mind as to location of passive intakes 😂

11 minutes ago, Pat999 said:

That fan sounds pretty beefy, should be good for sure. Have you thought about what you'll use to light proof it??

Sent from my G3312 using Tapatalk

The majority of the light coming through now is:

1. Below the doors where I still need to add “trim”.

2. Between the doors and the side panels is a slight gap caused by the hinges, I still need to add “weatherproofing?” (That foam stuff that comes on a roll with a sticky side). I’ll also add that around the door frame for a tighter seal against the “trim”.

3. Some pop rivets that pulled through, top and bottom where side panels joins floor/ceiling and where the door paneling is attached - aluminum tape.

4. I have no idea how to make the passive intakes light proof, but I don’t think it’s going to be too much of an issue.

Edited by Zaskar09

For passive intakes you could look at your local plumbing store for some 90' bends . two bends and a short straight between them painted black inside. The bends facing opposite direction + black paint should give you a light trap on your passive intake.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

For passive intakes you could look at your local plumbing store for some 90' bends . two bends and a short straight between them painted black inside. The bends facing opposite direction + black paint should give you a light trap on your passive intake.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

PVC 100mm pipe should be dandy. I love seeing people build their own setup. Probably cause that's how I started

Sent from my G3312 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 months later...