Germinating Seeds - Your Bullet Proof Method

Stoukie

Good day guys.

As the topic states, let's discuss germination of seeds, everyone has their own preferred way of seeds germination so let's share some methods.

Let's assume you already picked out your seeds or germinating feminized seeds (topic on it's own).

At this point I would take a small shot glass, fill it with tap water I prepared 24 hours ago, drop the seed in the shot glass, swirl it a round a bit and leave it overnight, about 12 hours. By preparing water I mean dechlorinate it by keeping it in a open container for 24 hours. I have read some people soak their seeds in warm water of even something a bit more acidic like coffee to soften the outer shell and mimic stomach acid... Anyone have a home brew recipe for soaking?

After the soak I would take out the seeds and place them between two wet paper towels, the towels I then put in a dark Tupperware container with a lid, sort if like a dark humidity dome. The water I use here is also from the same container I used for the soak. I make sure at this point to clearly mark which seed I put where, if germinating multiple strains you do not want to get confused.

Now according to many sources one should make sure that the seeds are germinating in a dark warm (between 22 and 32 degrees) place, in the summer this is easy, you put your container in cupboard and close the door, in the winter this could be problematic as the house is cold. The reason I put the seeds in a dark Tupperware container comes into play here as I would take the container and put it in the grow room under the light, to get a bit of heat going. You can also use your biltong maker that has been standing emtpy on the table for a few months, I mean a biltong maker has a light at the top to keep the temp up. I have read some people using reptile heat pads to warm the containers, never tried it...

Usually my seeds germinate in a day or two, found that keeping them in the wet paper towel for to long (+ 5 days) can promote mould, at that point if the seed did not germinate already according to me you can start again. Some people say one should wait until the white tap root is 3 cm long before planting, I find that if you wait to long the small very fragile tap root will bore into the paper towel making it difficult to remove without hurting the root, I usually just wait until the root is 1 cm before planting.

Now depending on if you germinating normal feminized seeds or auto flowering will depend if you plant straight into the forever pot or plant into a smaller 1 liter container as transplanting at a later stage could stun the little sapling and for autos this could impact the veg stage. Well that is what I have read, my previous auto I transplanted as I did not have a correct container at hand and she is big and strong.

That's basically my process, now let's hear how this differs from other methods?

My method is quite similar.
Soak the beans in dechlorinated water in a shotglass for 12hrs to soften up. Then transfer onto round cotton facepads and place 2nd pad on top to cover. Taking care not to mix different strains-label them. Keep them moist and warm ishh for 2 to 3 days in a dark area.
Once the tap root emerges 5-10mm
I transplant to prepared seedling trays
(tap root down) with my own compost and riversandsand mix. Once 4 leaves emerge I transfer to forever pots.

If the seeds don't germinate in the 2 to 3 days I don't discard them. I transfer them to a separate pot of soil in a last ditch effort. Had quite a few beans surprize me that way.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I put mine in a tin with hot water for 24 hours. Straight into seedling trays in the sun..20180925_100949.thumb.jpg.a93a0cf47e2afae75019992042391ed3.jpg
20181002_075931.thumb.jpg.9d79665fc1b624f88120ed1e4b431b19.jpg
20181009_081311.thumb.jpg.27cb54060bd234708808900b1700edf8.jpg
Eight days later 112 of 120 seedlings were transplanted.
Holy moly Stinger96
112 seedlings....are you planning to take over the world? You growing outdoors I assume?

Out doors. Meant to mention the fact that only 13 was selected to grow out. Lost a few to hermi, 1 male, 1 crushed and 1stolen. Got to harvest 5 in the end. Had to harvest early due to bud worms, pm and "Budrites". Got some decent stuff for myself at least till next season. Bag seed helps when you still learning..

:-peace

• Like 1

Out doors. Meant to mention the fact that only 13 was selected to grow out. Lost a few to hermi, 1 male, 1 crushed and 1stolen. Got to harvest 5 in the end. Had to harvest early due to bud worms, pm and "Budrites". Got some decent stuff for myself at least till next season. Bag seed helps when you still learning..
:-peace

Ok I get your thinking, went the same way but on a smaller scale. Downside of bagseed- males and hermies. Out of 30 seedlings...5 males and 1 hermie. Suspect my LST and topping might induce 1 or 2 more hermies. But my next gen is allready popping, 4x DP and 10x swazi.
Going to grow through winter with supplemental lighting.

19 hours ago, Stoukie said:

What do you guys think of soaking the seeds in a light solution of Kelpak and water for 12 hours? Anyone tried it?

While kelpak contains cytokine and auxins. If you're looking for truth grow stimulants you need to use Gibberilic Acid (GA3), however note that this stuff is potent and usually causes stem elongation. So it should really only be used for very old seeds that may have lost viability.

1 hour ago, greenkush said:

While kelpak contains cytokine and auxins. If you're looking for truth grow stimulants you need to use Gibberilic Acid (GA3), however note that this stuff is potent and usually causes stem elongation. So it should really only be used for very old seeds that may have lost viability.

That is good to know thank you!!! Was just thinking of soaking the seeds in something to help with germination rate, nothing worse than buying expensive seeds and losing them in germination...