Why make cannabis oil?

highchome

What is the benefit of making/using cannabis oil?

I'm wondering because as I understand it the extraction seems potentially unsafe (butane / iso which could in theory have impurities), or using ethanol which seems hard to come by. So why go this route rather than an infusion (cannabutter etc), rosin (hard to extract too I guess) or hash etc? Is there some particular benefit?

I'm a bit new to all this, so I'd love to understand more.

Thanks

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

I personally prefer solventless extracts for a few reasons 

If im looking for a clean oil for oral consumption i would always prefer a solventless extract infused heavily into a carrier like olive/coco oil or food grade vegetable glycerin 

I try to almost completely saturate the carrier with the solventless extract over a long period of time on a very low temperature ensuring most of my terps and cannabinoids are preserved 

If i want it to have abit more of a kick i would decarb said extract before the infusion ✌🙏 

Hope this helps 

• Like 1

By making extracts or oils you can regulate your dosage better and have more if a consistent medicine without testing for the home user . If you made a good extract you know roughly how strong it is . You then can take your extract and use it in edibles or whatever you want to make . It's all about consistancy for your meds , if you though a handful of flowers into coconut oil you will get a different product every time but if you do an extraction and then use the extract you get a lot more of a consistent medication 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, 420sake said:

highcome, did you venture into the extract world?

As it happens I just ordered my first batch of food grade ethanol today. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to try making oil for the first time. I'm still nervous about butane so ethanol seemed like a good option, though it is a little expensive.

FWIW the reason I decided to try oil is that we use the cannabutter as an ointment but its very oily (obviously 😛) and my wife is not thrilled with using that on her face too often. I'd be able to mix the oil into a normal cream and avoid the issue. I can't wait to give it a try.

The missus uses creme made up of BHO and Coconut oil.

We find it disappears the dark skin spots on the face if one is persistent. 

Working on an adjustment to the odour

You will enjoy making oil. We started with this back in 2006. Back then the diehard smokers though we were nuts 🤣

Quit for a few years after too many locals got itchy. Really enjoy as a hobby now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 420sake said:

The missus uses creme made up of BHO and Coconut oil.

I've got the food-grade ethanol on the way to make oil that I'm happy to ingest. But I wonder even if you were totally opposed to ingesting BHO, if there would be any reasonable issues with using it topically. I'll do some googling to see what I can find

I would presume the tolerance level from medical advisories would be the first to surface, that being from 5000ppm down to 50ppm. The lower figure is highly advisable as I think it gets quoted on HAZMAT labels. Or the WHO advises such, can't remember.

The last issue is always some form of aroma not advisable. You can smell if you have not got a clean purge on your hands. Have been ingesting my own projects for over 12+ years now. 😁

@highchome  I have quite a few books I collected ages ago, which I learnt how to open blast Butane. The process stuck, and I made my own gear to blast small batches.

I was challenged to do so and I made one beeg load of oil this year just to see if I could do it. And I did too. So now I have stock for the next bunch of months 😅

Never used ethanol before and I am not keen to do alcohol due to its toxicity to the body. I have also been watching lots of YT''s on how these small americano factories push out their crops - amazing. I have now added a vacuum pump to my tool set and I like the product. Will be refining more in the future to get the right cuts of oil processed. Its just that the kit is expensive and it will take time to get there I guess.

CO2 rigs are possible, but its very high pressures to deal with. I am of the opinion that BHO is the best cut of the 3 processes and makes the best quality Artisanal oil.

do not smoke anymore. appreciate my vape

Probably best to ask questions for now - as I am also happy to learn new knowledge

I want to learn to preserve the terpenes, which is low temperatures and having a vacuum oven and lots of time.

Edited by 420sake
added txt
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MartinHorne said:

do you need specific strains

I think you'd probably be best with a strain that is good for relaxation / pain or some combination of that, either in one strain or a mix. Check somewhere like www.leafly.com to see what to expect from a strain. Hopefully the more experienced oil users will chime in here too 🙂  Do you have some idea what the freebie seeds are?

But if you have seeds and want to do a first grow then some free seeds may be good to test with? You could learn quite a bit with them. E.g. you could take clones as they grow, once the original flowers you'll know if its male/female and only keep those clones. You could also play with a very short veg time (i.e a few weeks) and then go directly to flower. That gets you though a full grow cycle fast and means you get to test the strain sooner. Then with your next grow you can do a longer veg on female clones to get a bigger yield. Or you could just wait for better seeds 😛 

Practicing energy therapy I have always focused on my landrace and have been happy as I get 10% average return in my BHO process.

Considered the BHO product to be pranic positive and the alcohol route to be pranic negative. So the reason I joined here is to get new info's on the strain options to produce new genes and try our the modern day options that have become available. It has become an artesinal grower's paradise I guess and I am a pawpaw in that area at present 😄 Have my first modern beans firing right now. A big issue for me is that we work Whole plant as an extract. This CBD foofie is just madness.

Edited by 420sake
typo