Bud rot/mold

wizardshat

With all this rain we have been having lately (in Gauteng at least), my autos developed some bud rot. They were a week or so from harvest, and while checking trichome colour I noticed a brown sugar leaf. Pulled the leaf and it came right off. Upon further inspection I found more brown rot deeper in the bud.

It seems that, with all the rain, bud rot set in. I cut the plants and managed to rescue a few buds that had no brown rot on them and chucked the rest, but I think I will just chuck the buds anyway since I am a bit worried about smoking potentially moldy weed.

What does everyone else do with an outdoor grow to prevent bud rot?

I think next time I'll plant some bag seed, I suspect the issue may have stemmed from the denseness  of the buds.

Sorry to hear! Thought this was only an European thing. Definately not advocating this, but knowing myself I would have just cut away the problem area and continue as per normal, like what you do with cheese and bread. (Although the bread you would probably want to toast first)

Do not even consider if you are not healthy.

We ingest millions - dare I say billions

? - of spores daily and all types of death causing organisms.

For sure. All honesty dude my last run also fucked up because temp conditions and shit made me it's bitch, lost pretty much most of the bud. But now I'll change that with the next run coming up too. You just learn bru. LOL

Sent from my G3312 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Choose 1 or a combination of the following:

1. Flower your plants later to avoid the rain rotting up your dense flowers. 

2. Use local sativa genetics. The flowers are less dense allowing air to flow through the bud after rain. 

3. Flower under a greenhouse cover so that no rain comes into contact with the flower.

SIMPLE.

Edited by Moosed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yip, I've had a bit of bud rot growing outdoors in the Cape. Around April when those cold fronts start coming and a few weeks from harvest when the buds are big. First it blows and batters your plants then when it passes the rot sets in. Need to watch them like a hawk. I have mine in pots this year so if I'm home at least they can be moved under cover.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 4:48 PM, Moosed said:

Choose 1 or a combination of the following:

1. Flower your plants later to avoid the rain rotting up your dense flowers. 

2. Use local sativa genetics. The flowers are less dense allowing air to flow through the bud after rain. 

3. Flower under a greenhouse cover so that no rain comes into contact with the flower.

SIMPLE.

Thanks for the advice, I will implement at least the first two for the next grow!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
Yussis okes, the bud rot strikes again.

I'm so bummed about this. Seems like it's impossible to dry my buds in Cape Town...

Any pointers for drying WITHOUT an aircon?
Horrible bru. I was keeping my eye on that my buds are much dryer than normal. Did you dry it in a box? That's usually a way to go

13 hours ago, Pat999 said:

Horrible bru. I was keeping my eye on that my buds are much dryer than normal. Did you dry it in a box? That's usually a way to go

I dried it in my old grow cab. Had a fan in there pulling out the humid air, but it didn't help having those rainy days man. Kinda fucked me over. I lost 32g dry bud in total, 26g on the Zkittlez and 6g on the CBD Crack. Now i'm panicking about the GG coz it has the fattest buds of the lot.

4 minutes ago, SkunkPharm said:

You need a fan circulating air. Dehumidifier aswell if it is wet and cold like it is currently.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm looking at getting a dehumidifier. Just not sure how good it'll be. Like what one should i be going for?

dehumidifier-meaco-12l-low-energy
This is the one I have. It is only 165w and you can connect a pipe so that you don't have to empty the container all the time.it is not the cheapest but paying a bit more upfront saves on the bills later.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1