Friend or foe?

wijn

Hi all

Can anyone identify these beetles? I have quite a lot of them in the garden at the moment - and while they seem most interested in the Eugenia flowers so far, I fear that I may be in trouble if they develop a taste for cannabis. Anything to worry about? 

IMG_20190103_091702.jpg

Edited by wijn

Looks like a fruit chafer, the yellow and black ones are more common, which in afrikaans usually called a "tor".

From google:
Fruit chafers are familiar garden pests. They affect plants by chewing on the fleshy foliage and causing irregular holes, and they bore into the soft, ripe fruit to extract the juices, an action that spoils the fruits. This makes them unpopular amongst gardeners and farmers. Some of the flowers affected include roses, proteas, carnations and dahlias, and fruits affected include grapes.

Can't find anything regarding their appetite for cannabis

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

images.jpeg.89251ef4248b55d7406a2a31025e1d06.jpeg

If you're talking about these ones then they are the ones to be weiry off. If I'm not mistaken and if I googled correctly AND if my own experiences is wrong then they lay the eggs that hatch and turn into this...... 

1165356944_images(1).jpeg.cfe68d2251ccd4c0df46ba9c2d23a926.jpeg

They cause a lot of damage in the growing season. 

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG

Smelly 

Hi all

Many thanks for the feedback! That sounds pretty reassuring, on the balance. I'll still do my best to discourage them from spending time in my garden though - especially if their larvae may be bad news for the rest of my plants.

• 6 months later...
On 1/3/2019 at 7:08 PM, Smelly Joe said:

If you're talking about these ones then they are the ones to be weiry off. If I'm not mistaken and if I googled correctly AND if my own experiences is wrong then they lay the eggs that hatch and turn into this...... 

Smelly 

I have tons of these in my garden... Luckily they didn't cause any noticeable damage to my plants... They are really good in the compost bin to chow the compost and aeration 

I have tons of these in my garden... Luckily they didn't cause any noticeable damage to my plants... They are really good in the compost bin to chow the compost and aeration 
All over my compost bin, adults and larvae.
Larvae apparently only eat dead and decomposing matter. They seem to stay away from my cannabis, hope it stays that way.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
On 1/3/2019 at 7:08 PM, Smelly Joe said:

Smelly 

Found a couple of these worms in my soil pot after my seedlings suddenly died. Pulled the seedling and discovered that the root were chowed off. Could this creature be responsible for it? They seem to be in all my soil pots and i have no idea how they got there. I've never seen the adult beetle specie in my area...

• Like 1