Hydro grow test advice needed

Smelly Joe

Hey Guys

Although I am getting myself ready to get back into Organic growing I have a cab that will be standing empty for a while and I thought that this will be a great opportunity to give Hydro a go. I've always wanted to try and with the hydro store selling a hydro system for R850 i want to give it a go. They also sell Autopots (25L) but the DWC looks like more fun...

So which will be better, Autopots or a DWC setup.......

I've got one of those R850 hydro systems. It was my first ever so can't compare it to anything but i found it straight forward and easy to use for the most part.

My only criticism is that the reservoir (45L) may be just a tad bit too big. I found it difficult when cleaning it and changing the water, especially in flower when the plant got bigger. If you go this route I would suggest getting a second reservoir to make cleaning the container and changing the water easier. Unless someone can recommend an easier way. 

I also found that having two plants going in that setup at the same time was way more effort. The root balls were massive and I ended up having to add water every day in the later stages. Currently I have one plant going and it's way more manageable in that reservoir. Not using as much water etc. 

All that being said I still consider myself a noob so perhaps I was just doing it stupid. 

I think we are talking about the same hydro system. I can imagine the effort that comes with cleaning the reservoir but im all for that. The system allows for 4 plants in the container but i will go for 1 plant to start off with. I've only read and saw pics of hydro grows and their growth speed so it will all be new to me.

Will be getting mine end of this month...:classic_dry:

Why dont you start with a coco hydro drain to waste system?I found this to be the simplest ,most forgiving hydro and the growth was comparable to standard hydro.

I have a 50 l tote with a water pump and a hose with 4 drippers attached to it.Drippers come on for 5 mins x 3 times a day.5 mins is when water just starts running out my pots.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
[mention=1195]Smelly Joe[/mention] been through ya activities and can't seem to find you growing with Hydro. I have been growing veggies outside in DWC for years so I agree with  [mention=1499]Dope_Boy26[/mention] a control reservoir makes all the difference.
I haven't posted anything cause I haven't given it a full on go. Don't think I want to post my embarresment on the Web. LoL.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

[mention=1195]Smelly Joe[/mention] been through ya activities and can't seem to find you growing with Hydro. I have been growing veggies outside in DWC for years so I agree with  [mention=1499]Dope_Boy26[/mention] a control reservoir makes all the difference.
Agreed. 45l will be too small to reliably use long term look at adding a main res and making it a recirculating dwc. More water more pH stability less top ups. But as batista says flood and drain seems to be the simplest

Sent from my ANE-LX2 using Tapatalk