420SA GrowOff's Brainstorm

420SA

A couple members have mentioned running a growoff on 420SA. I think it could be good fun!

Let's discuss how we can do it....

I'm thinking:

• An outdoor growoff and an indoor growoff. 2 seperate comps. Perhaps starting 15 January next year
  • Growers have to choose 1 feminized seed (no bagseed) to grow and have to stick with that seed. Starting germination on the 15th of Jan. If the seed duds they can germinate another one but will not be compensated timewise.
  • When it comes to deadlines it could be a bit tricky. Either we set a deadline date for when the person has to harvest the plant or have it harvested before.... or for the indoor comp we set a date when the person has to switch to flower (maybe around 40 days after germination) and then allow everyone's plant to finish when they think its ready. Once the last plant is ready to chop the comp can end. Same goes for the outdoor comp, it ends once the last plant has been chopped. That would most likely mean that the outdoor comp will end much later on 
  • A separate board or club will created and each participant will run their own thread with updates on the plant they entered

Just some ideas on how it can be run. Totally open to other ways. Give your input if you'd be keen to take part in this. If enough interest is shown I'm sure we'll get a sponsor

• Like 3

15 Jan is basically the start of flowering time outdoors....I do understand that time is past but earlier in spring would be great. 

Make the Outdoor growoff a 18/9 yearly kickoff date. That means seeds break ground at the Spring equinox. 

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Totemic said:

15 Jan is basically the start of flowering time outdoors....I do understand that time is past but earlier in spring would be great. 

Make the Outdoor growoff a 18/9 yearly kickoff date. That means seeds break ground at the Spring equinox. 

That did cross my mind but my thoughts were to just see what guys could produce in that short space of time. More for fun really

That being said if the outdoor growers would like to do it properly, I'm sure many would, then a start on 18/9 would be best. Great idea for the date btw, timing is actually perfect

• Like 1

Fair enough. Lol, i'll just stand by and watch then
I'll donate a bean for you. However my suggestion would be allow the competitors to veg at least 2 or 3 plants and choose one to flower. In that manner is gives people using regs or bagseed an opportunity to join in on the fun. Growing one plant that turns out to be a male would suck

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

I love the idea. But I’d need to know you guys are committed. If we do this, we do it properly.
What is the criteria for winning? Biggest plant? Prettiest plant? Heaviest yield? Best product? How will that be judged and verified?

Their could be a few categories, biggest yield, best looking plant, number of 'likes' etc. Would maybe need to create seperate thread for auto's. Deadline 4/20 :)

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Makes sense to all grow the same thing. Maybe even from the same breeder. One guy could grow a kickass Sativa, but it’ll look like shit. Another grows an Indica, and everyone thinks it looks better. Not a fair fight. 

I think we should also agree on what training is allowed. But your choice of style, ie soil, soilless or hydro. We could subcategorise grow style.

So, same strain, limited training options. It’ll make for an interesting comparison.

I’m running all LED, and organic soil. No pesticides, not even Neem. I’d love to see how my growing compares to someone running HPS, with the same genetics and also no pesticides. 

Indeed the only way for it to be 100% fair would be for everyone to use a cutting of the same plant but I think we can all agree that'll be just about impossible.

So we do have the this option.... @Totemic has very generously offered to sponsor his chocolope genetics for this competition. A pack of 5 reg seeds for up to 200 participants. 1000 seeds in total

Would you guys be okay with covering the delivery cost of your 5 pack?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Budwizer said:

I love the idea. But I’d need to know you guys are committed. If we do this, we do it properly.

What is the criteria for winning? Biggest plant? Prettiest plant? Heaviest yield? Best product? How will that be judged and verified?

This is another tricky bit yes and my thoughts were to judge only by the photos that the participant posts. A few of the points you mentioned above would have to rely on the honesty of members and .... well yea that's not gonna happen...

So yes size and the beauty of the plant will be important. I think guys will need to post pictures of their plants alongside a tape measure or ruler of some sort, at least for the final photos.

We'll need to set a criteria on how photos must be taken... light, backgrounds etc.

1 hour ago, 420SA said:

Indeed the only way for it to be 100% fair would be for everyone to use a cutting of the same plant but I think we can all agree that'll be just about impossible.

So we do have the this option.... @Totemic has very generously offered to sponsor his chocolope genetics for this competition. A pack of 5 reg seeds for up to 200 participants. 1000 seeds in total

Would you guys be okay with covering the delivery cost of your 5 pack?

That is awesome and yes I wouldnt mind covering delivery.