Manny

Are my lights right ?

What’s up all. New to the page. I found some lights today and I was thinking of using them for my grow. Just not sure if it would be the right type of light.

9d3cdf744de0c92c0c3d6047c3b68514.jpg

Any help would be highly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are ok, you're going to need a good couple of them though. Depending on how many plants you plan to grow

Thanks man. I would probably just grow one or two for now and see how I like it. Then I’ll start adding more lights more seeds and lights and a big tent and all

And should I only use blue and red. Or should I add white led too ?

1 minute ago, Manny said:

Thanks man. I would probably just grow one or two for now and see how I like it. Then I’ll start adding more lights more seeds and lights and a big tent and all

ah, you're not going to get too far with that kind of light then bud. It will be good for the seedling stage & thats about it.

• Like 1

Welcome @Manny Great to see your putting some work into getting your own garden going.

Quick tip from a fellow new member like myself is, there is no stupid question :classic_smile: 

The guys on here are true saints when it comes to information. The main trial and errors they have crushed and will get you going in no time.

I have not done a indoor grow myself, so i'm following this thread as i will learn with you but just in the background sneaky sneaky :classic_ninja:

To infinity and beyond !!! :-trip

5463df2fbf823c2d85e70c7c76f09d52.jpg

I’ve done this mainly cause I’m super bored. I put in different lights. Not the LED ones hopefully someone can tell me if these are better

ef2086dc4c07ae8e78c9718016b29f67.jpg

c788f2d25c1fbb8ce9b6d496c8238c6f.jpg

Then I was going to make another box but instead of foil use black spray paint and put the LED in them

I’m struggling to understand something with the lights.
Am I trying to get heat or brightness from the light ? Cause those 2 150W bulbs I put in get really hot and heat up my entire box quite a bit. But the LED isn’t even warm.

I think what I’m gonna do is put the hot lights on in the day and the led lights at night. That way they’re always under light but at night it’s not so intense if that makes sense.

f67ebc4ca3a3e13a039774d0ca9cfb4a.jpg

8cecdf81e23c8973913c44447842dae6.jpg

Okay, I'll be that guy. The spots are okay, but not ideal. You want the light to be able to spread. Your box needs to ideally operate between 18 and 28, a little hotter is okay, but try not to drop below 18, this should give you an idea of which ligbrs to use when. Are the LED lights full spectrum? The blue spots may work for vegfing, but they may not be ideal for flowering. Next, foil, rip it out. It looks cool, yeah sure, but it will create hotspots on your plants causing burns and stress. Next, black interior will absorb the light, which is bad. You are better off painting the inside of the box flat white, PVA, contractors white will do the trick. Don't paint gloss. First prize is mylar and is relatively cheap from any hydro shop. You could probably even use those car screens some people put on their windows to protect their dashboards.

Now here is the punchline... 2 x 150w does not = 300w, it = 2 x 150w. The reason for increasing wattage is to increase penetration for example, a 1000w HID tube will give you bud on even the lowest branches whereas a 150w light may cause stretching and lower branches are wasted, no or very little bud is formed.

Hope that helps

EDIT: your last pic looks like red light, where is that from?

PS, your plants can't see WHITE LED, or at least not enough of it to mention. The reason they appear so bright, is because they only contain spectrums visible to humans. Also, even with the blue, you have no guarantee that it is the right spectrum and 14w isn't nearly enough unless you're only sprouting under it, but be careful, you may end up with some seriously tall, skinny, weak stem seedlings. Sprout them in a window somewhere, much more effective.

At the risk of starting a serious debate, anything less than 250w is not going to give you decent bud. I say this, having grown under 90w CFL, it works but... 5 months is a long time to grow substandard weed. It can be done under 150w, but don't expect frosties.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Trailblazer420 said:

Okay, I'll be that guy. The spots are okay, but not ideal. You want the light to be able to spread. Your box needs to ideally operate between 18 and 28, a little hotter is okay, but try not to drop below 18, this should give you an idea of which ligbrs to use when. Are the LED lights full spectrum? The blue spots may work for vegfing, but they may not be ideal for flowering. Next, foil, rip it out. It looks cool, yeah sure, but it will create hotspots on your plants causing burns and stress. Next, black interior will absorb the light, which is bad. You are better off painting the inside of the box flat white, PVA, contractors white will do the trick. Don't paint gloss. First prize is mylar and is relatively cheap from any hydro shop. You could probably even use those car screens some people put on their windows to protect their dashboards.

Now here is the punchline... 2 x 150w does not = 300w, it = 2 x 150w. The reason for increasing wattage is to increase penetration for example, a 1000w HID tube will give you bud on even the lowest branches whereas a 150w light may cause stretching and lower branches are wasted, no or very little bud is formed.

Hope that helps

EDIT: your last pic looks like red light, where is that from?

PS, your plants can't see WHITE LED, or at least not enough of it to mention. The reason they appear so bright, is because they only contain spectrums visible to humans. Also, even with the blue, you have no guarantee that it is the right spectrum and 14w isn't nearly enough unless you're only sprouting under it, but be careful, you may end up with some seriously tall, skinny, weak stem seedlings. Sprout them in a window somewhere, much more effective.

At the risk of starting a serious debate, anything less than 250w is not going to give you decent bud. I say this, having grown under 90w CFL, it works but... 5 months is a long time to grow substandard weed. It can be done under 150w, but don't expect frosties.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 someone had to be that guy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply man. I have one red and one blue. How can I check if they are full spectrum ?

f5e890c294fbe21161ac32c291174727.jpg

Okay so I should just sprout by a window

Take foil out and paint white

Will those 2 150W lights be good enough just for now. Just for 1 grow until I have enough to get a better light ?

If it is good enough, how long should I leave the lights on for each day ?

Yeah, they're not great lights to grow under, you're honestly better off growing in a smallish (maybe 1L pot) in your window.

The amount of information you're still going to read is insane, it's going to be one of the best journeys of your life.

There are so many different kinds of lights you can use man, but as far as colour goes, your blueish light, is used for vegging. Vegging is not determined by light colour however, but rather light cycles, or number of hours on and off.

Plants will keep growing as long as your light cycle is more than 12 hours a day. Different growers will give you different advice on these cycles, but the common ones are generally 24 hours on, 0 hours off (24/0), 20/4 or 18/6. These are all for vegging, pick one and stick to it for the duration of your vegetative period. Once your plant shows you signs of flowering, or pre flowers even, you can decide what to do. As a first time grower, I suggest you let these become very visible before switching.

Next thing is, blue isn't blue, if your frequency or colour is not in line with what the plant can 'see', you are wasting time and electricity. Basic quantum mechanics :) . To maximize plant response, I would suggest metal halide hid tubes for vegging, get yourself a 250w Floodlight. You will get way better results than 6 of those lights you have in your box.

Types of lights that are ideal

HID, this would be metal halide for veg and HPS for flower. The Sodium will give you the reddish spectrum you're looking for, although it's more yellow than red.

Next, CFL, yes, like energy savers. But again, 150w BARE minimum. The higher the wattage, the better your yield. These also run relatively cool, so no need for ac, just decent ventilation will do the trick.

Last, but by far not least, LED. now, this MUST be full spectrum grow lights. They have the right combination of the correct frequency chips to ensure your plant gets the rays it needs. Basically blue and red chips, which ends up with a violet colour.

BTW, plants are completely unable to 'see' green light. Just some added info.

I always give this heads up to any new growers, plant some bag seeds, that way you'll get a healthy mix of males and females, teaching you how to identify them. Cull the males though. These seeds are generally quite resilient and rather forgiving and if it doesn't work out, you didn't blow a bunch of cash on seeds that gave you no value.

There are a lot of threads that cover any issues you may tun into and as you know, you can always ask.

Good luck and happy growing 5469a72751fc08a06495b7cab0a0e2df.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, they're not great lights to grow under, you're honestly better off growing in a smallish (maybe 1L pot) in your window.

The amount of information you're still going to read is insane, it's going to be one of the best journeys of your life.

There are so many different kinds of lights you can use man, but as far as colour goes, your blueish light, is used for vegging. Vegging is not determined by light colour however, but rather light cycles, or number of hours on and off.

Plants will keep growing as long as your light cycle is more than 12 hours a day. Different growers will give you different advice on these cycles, but the common ones are generally 24 hours on, 0 hours off (24/0), 20/4 or 18/6. These are all for vegging, pick one and stick to it for the duration of your vegetative period. Once your plant shows you signs of flowering, or pre flowers even, you can decide what to do. As a first time grower, I suggest you let these become very visible before switching.

Next thing is, blue isn't blue, if your frequency or colour is not in line with what the plant can 'see', you are wasting time and electricity. Basic quantum mechanics :) . To maximize plant response, I would suggest metal halide hid tubes for vegging, get yourself a 250w Floodlight. You will get way better results than 6 of those lights you have in your box.

Types of lights that are ideal

HID, this would be metal halide for veg and HPS for flower. The Sodium will give you the reddish spectrum you're looking for, although it's more yellow than red.

Next, CFL, yes, like energy savers. But again, 150w BARE minimum. The higher the wattage, the better your yield. These also run relatively cool, so no need for ac, just decent ventilation will do the trick.

Last, but by far not least, LED. now, this MUST be full spectrum grow lights. They have the right combination of the correct frequency chips to ensure your plant gets the rays it needs. Basically blue and red chips, which ends up with a violet colour.

BTW, plants are completely unable to 'see' green light. Just some added info.

I always give this heads up to any new growers, plant some bag seeds, that way you'll get a healthy mix of males and females, teaching you how to identify them. Cull the males though. These seeds are generally quite resilient and rather forgiving and if it doesn't work out, you didn't blow a bunch of cash on seeds that gave you no value.

There are a lot of threads that cover any issues you may tun into and as you know, you can always ask.

Good luck and happy growing 5469a72751fc08a06495b7cab0a0e2df.jpg

Thanks so much for all the help man. Let me go and fix why a can and then get back to you guys

Question:
1) Do I need a tent or a grow house or can I just put it in a room with lights. We have a room in our house. It’s empty and it has one long window. So I was thinking of just setting up lights there and blacking our the window. Is that good or should I leave the window ?

2) is this light good enough if I put it with some other lights.
4acb18d1c7859cb366aba2e14d008c6a.jpg

It’s one of those tube lights.

You're going to need a space that will completely darken when you're in flower. I'd suggest looking at getting a cupboard/cabinet (if you cant get a tent) and turn that into a grow space. Good luck bud!

Edited by YourStonedBuddy

You're going to need a space that will completely darken when you're in flower. I'd suggest looking at getting a cupboard/cabinet (if you cant get a tent) and turn that into a grow space. Good luck bud!

The room can completely darken. But for now I’m just talking about the beginning phase. Can it be in a room with lights or does it have to be a tent

You can grow with any light. The intensity of the light will increase bud density. See the first foto is CFL lights. You need to put CFL's almost against the plant. In the second foto(the tent foto) you can see the difference between the plants under the blurple light and the led spotlights(the plants in the front). The 50watt spotlights are way more intense and thus the plants are not stretching as much. But in the end you need to choose. Start small and grow one plant. See what works.

I would blacken out the window with black plastic. You want your neighbours to be able to sleep at night. Except it you have a live hate relationship. Then why not leave the lights on.
6820923b08eb32a9028ef041684e5aeb.jpgebe855746183444542af838f9e9e0948.jpg

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So I’ve gone back to the drawing board. And I made something new from what I’ve heard from you guys. I made a box out of wood and I made it higher. For now I have 3 lights. Their height is adjustable too.
Took the foil out and painted white instead too.

ac41421fd81a8515950a05dafe9114f9.jpg

a44be3144de6d2ecac8bbab2a23d80e6.jpg

I put the two 150w spots on the outside. Should be placed high above the plan or close to the plant.

And from what I understand my cfl should be close to the plant ?

Any tips or recommendations please guys !!

You should be fine. Buy decent soil and plant your seeds. One it 2 plants?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks man. Do I put the spots high or keep them low. I bought plain potting soil. Is that okay ?

497ad411ef47cdfd2aa74fab4a2f81d3.jpg

This is my cousins plant. It was growing outside. He asked if I could take over. Can I take it and put it in my box with the lights ?