Filtering an outside intake

420SA

If i think about it in a basic DIY point of view, you could use a cone filter that cars use on there air intake and just duct it to your intake ?

Yes its not as fancy as your option but cone filters go for so cheap so i rate its worth a shot.

I just thought if it could keep your engine clean from dust and bugs it would do the same for the grow area ? 

Just a random brain fart  :sillyass

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 420SA said:

Howzit guys

Would just like to know what you guys do to filter your intake vent. Mine is actively taking in air from outside through a 6 inch duct. How do guys filter out insects, excessive dust etc?

I have a stocking at the end of my duct which stops debris, insects and such getting into my fan. I don't see the point of adding another carbon filter to the incoming. My internal carbon filter is https://www.futurama.co.za/carbon-filter-150x500mm-6-x20-50mm-carbon-bed/, my tent is under constant negative pressure so you cannot smell a thing at all. Even if im standing right next to it I can't smell anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @TomHill  the phresh does look legit but I'm gonna need something a little smaller. 

@Pvt_sToNeR I've been looking at these https://accessorylab.co.za/products/homedics-hepa-filter-for-ar-10a . I actually did look at the cone filter option but they're too small

@greenkush stocking is a good go to option if there's nothing else. Would like to try use something designed for the purpose though

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 420SA said:

Thanks @TomHill  the phresh does look legit but I'm gonna need something a little smaller. 

I actually have the 6" x 8" (150mm x 200mm) option, so it is a bit shorter. You can push or pull through them, so perhaps you can make it fit your situation. 

28 minutes ago, greenkush said:

You really don't need a carbon filter to filter the incoming air, unless you live in a super polluted area.

You don't need a rope to go rock climbing, it certainly helps when you fall :-flyinghi

I cool using positive pressure to further keep nasties out, a good filter is a must for me. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 420SA said:

@Pvt_sToNeR I've been looking at these https://accessorylab.co.za/products/homedics-hepa-filter-for-ar-10a . I actually did look at the cone filter option but they're too small

@greenkush stocking is a good go to option if there's nothing else. Would like to try use something designed for the purpose though

https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-Shield-Intake-Exhaust-Screen/dp/B0057JE5VE/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1540889300&sr=8-15&keywords=ducting+mesh

• Like 1

Lol 😄

Another thing you could use is the dust filter from modern computer boxes  -

https://www.wootware.co.za/lian-li-pt-af14-2b-removable-washable-dust-filter-mount-kit-for-140mm-system-fan.html

or you can use an open cell sponge thinly sliced,

or you can use medical guaze (any pharmacy)

The problem here is that the more effective your dust filter is, the faster it will clog, the more often you will have to clean it.Also, when it clogs it will reduce air pressure inside and plant s might get hot.You have to find a balance between thse 2 factors.

Edited by Batista
reasons bru
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I snatched some panty hose from my girlfriend for my passive intakes. I just got a secret jardin rev4.0 dp60 and they come with a freaking awesome filter and you cut the holes yourself and decide where you want it on your tent. Secret jardin tents are the shit but this is for passive intakes. 

I will probably use panty hose for my bigger tent when I go active 

20181026_163655.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't draw air from outside, just from within my room and I use the light blocking baffles from Secret Jardin - this is actually more for better passive air in take as without these the tent goes into some serious negative pressure and I feel the airflow suffers.

@Budwizer has a really awesome and clever solution though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brendzgrow said:

Any further updates here with regards to what you guys  are using to filter your intake air? 

This took me by surprise haha! 

I luckily live on the 3rd floor, and little gets up there... 

But even before that, I leave my veg room permanently 100% open

And then my flower tent is only closed during its dark cycle, otherwise the tent is also open... 

So a filter would just be silly for me

• Like 1