Which Light For a Budget Build?

Prawnapple

Hi All,

Which light would be best for an all-purpose setup? I would like to grow indoors in about a 70cmx70cm to 1mx1m area anything from 1.2 - 1.8m high tent / area. https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponic/plant-lighting/ - These guy are close to my home and offer a large range of flow lights. My price range is R0 - R1000 max for a light.

All suggestions welcome 🙂

Thanks alot.

At R1000 budget at that site you are looking a cfl only, i have grown with 160w cfl and it taps out in flower, just doesnt have the intensity and coverage.
Cfl has its place in stealth micro cabs and early veg, it is unfortunately not a complete solution.
in the space you are looking at 400w hid would be your next most cost effective, how are you cooling this cab?

8 hours ago, Prawnapple said:

Hi All,

Which light would be best for an all-purpose setup? I would like to grow indoors in about a 70cmx70cm to 1mx1m area anything from 1.2 - 1.8m high tent / area. https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponic/plant-lighting/ - These guy are close to my home and offer a large range of flow lights. My price range is R0 - R1000 max for a light.

All suggestions welcome 🙂

Thanks alot.

In that space I would go with a 250W HID MH/HPS.  Over 300W it is highly recommended the grower use Co2 in their room, your plants will only be able to photosynthesise a certain amount of light before needing a Co2 boost to benefit. Co2 is just not practical for your use.  

Most magnetic ballasts can flip between MH/HPS these days. If you are willing to do some DIY, you can grab the bulb, ballast, ignitor and capacitor for around R600`. For a timer it is another R300 +-  and a budget reflector from a grow shop is around R400.  

Total for the whole system around R1300 +-

Edited by TomHill
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Green Leaf Organics said:

Dont know where you got the info that's it's highly recommended to use co2 on any light over 300w , that's just wrong. I personally ran 4000w without co2 suplimentation for years with beautiful results  and the sun is definately over 300w 😂

It isn't wrong, you have misunderstood. 

I am talking about the amount of light in the given growing space vs available carbon dioxide in the air. The main factors affecting rate of photosynthesis are light intensity, carbon dioxide concentration and temperature. In any given situation any one of these may become a limiting factor, in other words the factors that directly affects the rate at which photosynthesis can take place masking the effects of the other factors.  The supply of carbon dioxide will eventually be insufficient to support a higher rate of photosynthesis, and increasing light intensity will have no effect, so the rate plateaus.

I can see how my wording is poor there and could confuse, I have reworded the first line below to clarify.

In that space I would go with a 250W HID MH/HPS.  Over 300W it is highly recommended the grower use Co2 in their room, your plants will only be able to photosynthesise a certain amount of light before needing a Co2 boost to benefit. Co2 is just not practical for your use.  

Most magnetic ballasts can flip between MH/HPS these days. If you are willing to do some DIY, you can grab the bulb, ballast, ignitor and capacitor for around R600`. For a timer it is another R300 +-  and a budget reflector from a grow shop is around R400.  

Total for the whole system around R1300 +-

Clarification -  "In that space I would go with a 250W HID MH/HPS.  Over 300W in that space, it would be highly recommended the grower use Co2 in the room..."

image.gif

Edited by TomHill

14 hours ago, TomHill said:

In that space I would go with a 250W HID MH/HPS. 

Which of these two would you recommend:

https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/venture-metal-halide-mh/

https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/venture-high-pressure-sodium-hps/

I'll see if I can find some place that sells a 400Watt Ballast. I've never used a Ballast so I have no idea how to use  them lol. Any ideas or shall I rather youtube it?

43 minutes ago, Batista said:

@Prawnapple, Where are you based? I've got a brand new 400/250 W HPS enclosed unit that I never used.Magnetic ballast,reflective hood, all enclose in a box with a glass front, just a big security light.

PM'd 🙂

22 minutes ago, SkunkPharm said:

If all else fails just buy a couple of led spot lights from builders. Mix up the colour ratios.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Prawnapple said:

Which of these two would you recommend:

https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/venture-metal-halide-mh/

https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/venture-high-pressure-sodium-hps/

I'll see if I can find some place that sells a 400Watt Ballast. I've never used a Ballast so I have no idea how to use  them lol. Any ideas or shall I rather youtube it?

You don't want to go higher than 250w in that tent. I am running a 250W MH in exactly the same setup and it is more than enough. If you go higher wattage you will have heat issues. 

Just grab the bulbs from your local electrical wholesaler., you will get both for less than the price of one bulb from a grow shop.

If you have the time and feel capable, google how to wire a ballast for either MH or HPS. Then buy the ballast ignitor and capacitor at your local electrical wholesaler too. 

Otherwise just order a digital ballast most will run 250w, look for a model with a fan that cools the circuit board.  

Feel free to ask for help if you get stuck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TomHill said:

You don't want to go higher than 250w in that tent. I am running a 250W MH in exactly the same setup and it is more than enough. If you go higher wattage you will have heat issues. 

Just grab the bulbs from your local electrical wholesaler., you will get both for less than the price of one bulb from a grow shop.

If you have the time and feel capable, google how to wire a ballast for either MH or HPS. Then buy the ballast ignitor and capacitor at your local electrical wholesaler too. 

Otherwise just order a digital ballast most will run 250w, look for a model with a fan that cools the circuit board.  

Feel free to ask for help if you get stuck.

Hi TomHill,

Thanks so much for your response.

"Just grab the bulbs from your local electrical wholesaler., you will get both for less than the price of one bulb from a grow shop." - Should I just grab as many as I can until I end up at 250 W? Should they all be the exact same bulb? Or do you specifically mean 2 bulbs or a certain sort?

"If you have the time and feel capable, google how to wire a ballast for either MH or HPS. Then buy the ballast ignitor and capacitor at your local electrical wholesaler too."

Awesome, will do the research into this! Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Prawnapple said:

Should I just grab as many as I can until I end up at 250 W? Should they all be the exact same bulb? Or do you specifically mean 2 bulbs or a certain sort?

If you are asking that question you need to do a lot more reading. 

I am referring to a 250w Metal Halide bulb and 250w High Pressure Sodium bulb respectively. The former is for vegetative growth, the latter is for flowering. 

8 minutes ago, TomHill said:

If you are asking that question you need to do a lot more reading. 

I am referring to a 250w Metal Halide bulb and 250w High Pressure Sodium bulb respectively. The former is for vegetative growth, the latter is for flowering. 

Thanks, I see what you mean. I am currently doing a lot of research.