The poor man's option for regulating temperature?

CaNaWidow

Hi everyone,

Being a stealth grower has mainly kept me to using everything but a grow tent to grow some meds.

I have gone through a few different setups in the last 2 years, ranging from a desktop pc, to a small wooden cabinet and a steel cabinet amongts others.

There is one problem I seem to struggle with the most -depending on the time of year - is temperature regulation.

The lack of funding to buy technological advancements of the modern day - like an air conditioner or cooling unit, leaves me open to a fair amount of risk on those days when the weather pushes the extremes.

I am looking for a easy way and cost effective way to help bring down the temps on those days when the it hit around 28 C and up. My setup is in a garage that has a sheet metal roof (not the best for insulation) which seems to intensive the problem.

Some Grow-(in)fo:

-600w air cooled hood with 6 inch fan, currently extracting and circulating in the same room (not possible to exhaust out or pull air in)

-100x100x180 grow space

-grow area mimics outside temperature when hot (the cold isnt a problem -yet)

Let me know your thoughts and ideas!

Loosing sleep over this one!

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Agreed, if you can't duct out the hot air, not even a portable ac is the right solution. I had a similar setup running 6 x 400w hid and even with a 9000BTU AC ducted out, I was sometimes hitting 31 deg.

Hot Air needs to escape outside.

PS, my grow was never easier after getting an AC

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I don't know if you have access to square hale bales depending on how large your roof is, but hay bales on corrugated iron keeps temps down if you spray them daily as it holds in moisture... A farmer passed it on as he does that on his chicken hok.....
Wow, great tip! Some old school advise. Would however be a bit awkward seeing as I live in a complex

Agreed, if you can't duct out the hot air, not even a portable ac is the right solution. I had a similar setup running 6 x 400w hid and even with a 9000BTU AC ducted out, I was sometimes hitting 31 deg.

Hot Air needs to escape outside.

PS, my grow was never easier after getting an AC

Thanks for this - will have to make a hole in something I guess!

Outside might not be an option, but into another room is on the cards perhaps. I assume the would do the trick, as long as the hot air doesnt have a way to find its self back in?

That will work, the bigger the space for dissipation, the better it will work. You can still flower in a room that runs 30 or below, daytime, but optimally, you want to bring it down to 26 max for daytime and 18 at night towards the end of flowering in my opinion. My AC doesn't run at night at the moment, but will definitely run it 24/7 as I'm nearing the end of the grow.

Ooh ok so a complex housing property presents a problem, but you could break down the hay bales and spread an even spread over the roof and put a tarp on top of the straw and weight it down.... Then set up a form of drip/running irrigation flowing down the length of corrugation roofing down the channels of corrugation...

Cheaper than using lots of square bales and it also works well on the chicken hoks during summer until we discovered 1000 chickens body heat was counter productive to that idea....lol

Or paint the roof Matt white so it reflects a lot of the heat and put drip/sprinkler irrigation on top of the roof to help keep cool....

Some great advice. The governing bodies are just quite full of shit, so I would have to do something that I could easily remove.
One major issue would be the wind. Where I live we get some the heaviest winds in the cape.

Looking to get my own place in the near future.

Any ideas on how to maybe do something from the inside??
There is also a garage door that isnt air tight, along with air pockets between pillars that support the roof. So lets the hot or cold in and/or out.

On 10/20/2018 at 6:06 AM, CaNaWidow said:

"-600w air cooled hood with 6 inch fan, currently extracting and circulating in the same room (not possible to exhaust out or pull air in)"

I know you can't do it, tho I will repeat  the above advice. You need to get fresh air directly in (preferably from a southern face) and hot air directly out. That should meet the cooling needs of a 600W air cooled hood. If you could get the warm air vented out, perhaps the cool air flowing in through the gaps you describe may be enough for a fresh intake. 

Edited by TomHill

I know you can't do it, tho I will repeat  the above advice. You need to get fresh air directly in (preferably from a southern face) and hot air directly out. That should meet the cooling needs of a 600W air cooled hood. If you could get the warm air vented out, perhaps the cool air flowing in through the gaps you describe may be enough for a fresh intake. 
I will have to do some DIY sometime soon. First having a power issue currently - 600 is tripping the earth leage.

As for making a hole in the wall - what is a good way of getting through drywall neatly?

42 minutes ago, CaNaWidow said:

I will have to do some DIY sometime soon. First having a power issue currently - 600 is tripping the earth leage.

As for making a hole in the wall - what is a good way of getting through drywall neatly?

You may need a breaker with more amps, tho 600W tripping the earth leakage sounds to me like a faulty plug point. You are using a wall socket right? 3 prong wall sockets are normally good for 15 amps, that shouldn't trip with 600W. I am not a sparky, so full disclaimer. 

Dry wall is easy to cut through. Use a good stanley knife or jigsaw (drill a guide hole) to make the opening.  

Edited by TomHill

Thanks, will look to make a hole through sometime soon.

I am using a 3 prong socket. I hooked the light up to every plug in the house, and it tripped - not the plugs, but the earth leakage.

Spoke to an electrcian last night and he said it can (looking at the DB) be that the switches are way to old. They tend to get word after time - especially if the power trips for some reason. Had this issue when to many appliances were on at the sometime as well. So will be getting a new switch added, and extra dedicated circuit for the grow.

Battle of the elements going om at the moment! First the temps and now the power..

You may need a breaker with more amps, tho 600W tripping the earth leakage sounds to me like a faulty plug point. You are using a wall socket right? 3 prong wall sockets are normally good for 15 amps, that shouldn't trip with 600W. I am not a sparky, so full disclaimer. 
Dry wall is easy to cut through. Use a good stanley knife or jigsaw (drill a guide hole) to make the opening.  

Just a bit of a fyi , circuit breakers should never just be changed to a higher amperage , the breaker is paired with cable thickness so u risk burning your house down 
Whats your feel on having a new dedicated breaker being added to the mix?

7 hours ago, CaNaWidow said:

Whats your feel on having a new dedicated breaker being added to the mix?

I'm running two 600 watt drivers, 2 x 40watt extraction fans, 1x mist maker, And I'm barely around 10amps on the socket, mine are rated at 20 per plug. You do not need a dedicated circuit breaker.

11 hours ago, CaNaWidow said:

Getting someone to come round this weekend to sort it out.Then I will be good to go.

On another topic - Is this heatwave giving anybody in the western cape temp problems?

Are you running your lights in the day or at night? If during the day just flip to running at night instead. I am in jhb and I was suffering with 37 degree temps in my grow area. I run at night now and my temps stay a constant 26-28.c with 3 of my panels running each reaching 45.c

19 hours ago, CaNaWidow said:

Getting someone to come round this weekend to sort it out.Then I will be good to go.

On another topic - Is this heatwave giving anybody in the western cape temp problems?

Hey Bud,

For heat issues, when all other avenues have been exhausted, the one thing I can tell you is that you may have to run your lights at night when the temps are cooler.

I lost 3 plants to the insane wind, heat not really an issue for outdoor plants.

I normally do run at night, but haven't used the 600w setup yet due to the power issue. My previous 360w led works just fine and doesnt pump up the heat, so might still have to revert back when the current ladies are big enough to be potted.

I have been avoiding the heat by putting my little veg cabinet in my previous flower cabinet which has an extraction fan.

In addition, I sit the tray with seeds on an open bucket which has water in. If the temps are to high, I put a ice pack in the bucket, which cools things down and helps boost humidity along with the water.

It was 32 in my garage yesterday and managed to keep my cabinet at 25.5 - :D

Are you running your lights in the day or at night? If during the day just flip to running at night instead. I am in jhb and I was suffering with 37 degree temps in my grow area. I run at night now and my temps stay a constant 26-28.c with 3 of my panels running each reaching 45.c
Here is a view of the girls in there cooled environment.

7 x Jack herer
3 x Critical7e2a2b05478e7311c4daed0cb7721805.jpgd8b66ad88a9572317111ed094cfcf41a.jpg