Advice needed... leaf curl on new growth

kingcola

Howdy, recently I've noticed some downward leaf curl on new growth similar to eagles claw and some of the older leaves have weird edges. Some leaves also feel dry as a nuns box (Have tried using Freedom Farm Kelp foliar spray but no good)

I suspect it could be an environment issue as temps recently dropped here and I've changed my water source.

No idea what is going on. When I take them outside they correct after 2 weeks but i dont want this mom outside as she is my clone provider.

Please assist because its doing my head in seeming the mom like this.

Strain: LA Grape

Light: 4000K QB about 40cm from canopy 18on/6off

Water: RO well water pH to 5.8

Temp: 18-19 celcius

Humidity: 65-70%

Airflow: Good

Nutrients: BioBizz Grow

Medium: Coco mix

Watering every 4days

Favourite song: Linkin Parks Crawling in my skin

PLEEASE ADVISE. Much respect. KC

curl.jpg.c0ede6e043733e311c668e09289d5b65.jpg

How dry are they at watering? What kind of pots do you have them in?

Thanks for the reply Trickerst[/member] She is moderately dry at watering. Half a finger deep dry

I have her i a 15L plastic pot with holes in the side.

You thinking its a watering issue?

What does your coco mix consist of? What size pot have you got the mom in there?

Thanks for the reply 420SA[/member] Admin. The coco has a perlite, turbogrow, bonemeal and wormcastings (all very light doses)

She is in a 15L Plastic pot with holes in the side.

I feel it may be a temp issue cause as i said she is at 18celcius and the ones i put outside generally heal up with some sun on the leaves.

Your thoughts?

Trickerst is on the right track with overwatering... rather wait till the pot feels very light and then water again. Can you give a  full shot of the plant? How long have you been keeping this mother?

Thanks 420SA[/member] Ill give her a longer wait between waters to test the theory. The plastic pots seem to generally keep water in the soil for longer even if you drill holes in the side. My fabric pots outside always dry out quicker and get feather light which is usually my water trigger. Really thought the half a finger rule was good enough for my inside lady. Shes been in veg mode since end of May. May just pop her outside to finish up and start a new round for spring.

Thanks team. Will keep everyone looped on the water results as to help others

If you're in Coco you shouldnt have any issues with over watering.

I feed everyday in coco with no issues

Disagree with that one. Coco is used for its water retention so if there isn't enough aeration medium with the coco, overwatering is definitely a possibility.

Have you got aeration medium in your mix? If so, how much?

Disagree with that one. Coco is used for its water retention so if there isn't enough aeration medium with the coco, overwatering is definitely a possibility.

I have about 30-40% perlite mixed in. Feeding every single day until decent run off, never experienced any over watering issues

I have about 30-40% perlite mixed in. Feeding every single day until decent run off, never experienced any over watering issues

That's most likely cos you have enough perlite in your mix to enable the roots to breathe. I experienced overwatering issues in a 90/10 coco perlite mix in my early days of growing, if there isnt enough aeration medium the roots will drown if watered too much

Pure coco will retain more water than soil.

OP has mixed 30/40% perlite which should help. My concern was actually way more about the plastic pots as they don't breath well - even with holes.

It would make sense that it only an issue now (mid-winter). It is colder, so less evaporation happens off of the soil medium, and the plant transpires less because it is cold. Which means the plant pulls less water out of the medium.

To give an example, I have other plants I grow in plastic pots. I had to water them everyday in summer, and only once a week at the moment - I actually killed a plant by water twice a week at the moment.

However, it could be something else, the only way to really test is to see if the same thing happens to the fabric pots in the same circumstances

That's most likely cos you have enough perlite in your mix to enable the roots to breathe. I experienced overwatering issues in a 90/10 coco perlite mix in my early days of growing, if there isnt enough aeration medium the roots will drown if watered too much

420SA[/member] the over watering could be the culprit. I too am on a 90/10 mix with this lady and even though i only water her every 4 days with 10% of the total volume of the container.  I'll wait till the whole container is light instead of just checking the top with my finger.

Pure coco will retain more water than soil.

OP has mixed 30/40% perlite which should help. My concern was actually way more about the plastic pots as they don't breath well - even with holes.

It would make sense that it only an issue now (mid-winter). It is colder, so less evaporation happens off of the soil medium, and the plant transpires less because it is cold. Which means the plant pulls less water out of the medium.

To give an example, I have other plants I grow in plastic pots. I had to water them everyday in summer, and only once a week at the moment - I actually killed a plant by water twice a week at the moment.

However, it could be something else, the only way to really test is to see if the same thing happens to the fabric pots in the same circumstances

Good thinking Trickerst[/member]... didnt consider the winter effect and the water retention. Shot guys.

even though i only water her every 4 days with 10% of the total volume of the container.

Are you getting to runoff before you stop watering the pot?

420SA[/member] negatory on the runoff... there may be a drop or two but not more than that. I try water slowly to savor the moment with my ladies. The DA apparently says every drop counts :)

Will keep everyone posted. I assume she will take about two weeks to start showing recovery

You gotta allow for a bit of runoff bud, especially when feeding with nutes. I know things are still tight there in the cape but its essential you allow the pot to be "flushed" of any buildup. Build up can cause all sorts of issues, including major PH problems. From that pic you supplied your plant isn't looking happy and most likely she needs a fresh start. I would suggest potting her up in a new soil mix, freedom farms or jamies mix.

If you can post a pic of the whole mother that will help a lot though

:-peace