LED vs HPS

SkunkPharm

48 minutes ago, Oolong83 said:

@NPKGuy yo dude, i get you. Ive been struggling with this question of which is better. I only been growing with LED, but noticed the bud never solid, always airy. So im strongly considering switching to HID. 

So straight up, HID or LED for big solid buds?

Both grow big solid buds. 

Tells us about how you grow and the things you do and maybe we can figure out what you doing wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oolong83 said:

@NPKGuy yo dude, i get you. Ive been struggling with this question of which is better. I only been growing with LED, but noticed the bud never solid, always airy. So im strongly considering switching to HID. 

So straight up, HID or LED for big solid buds?

Also the genetics makes a huge difference and the hanging hight of your light.

• Like 2

So I have grown very hard, dense buds as well as rather airy bud under the exact same LED lights - heck, it was part of the same grow just 2 different plants and therefore different genetics.

Distance from the LEDs were the same, power was the same and since it was in the same tent even the environment was the same.

Good lights make a massive difference for sure, although there are many other contributing factors. I have mentioned this before, I like to use the example of a professional athlete and compare them to seeds / genetics.

They have the potential, although in order for them to reach their full potential they need to make sure they eat properly and rest sleep and train hard etc. (lights, environment, nutes etc.)

If you have all of that right, it is a winning combo - so good quality lights and good genetics and grown well.

Then if you were to take an average Joe, perhaps someone like myself. No matter how hard I train or how I eat and so forth - I won't end up at the professional athlete level. I could have the best of everything but genetically it just isn't going to happen.

I feel the 2 biggest factors in a grow are genetics and quality lighting. Environment often fluctuates a bit in most grows, nutes there are plenty of different brands and most are decent etc. etc.

Having the best genetics but shitty lights and growing conditions will yield shit still.

On the contrary, having shit genetics but amazing light and growing conditions will also yield shit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hey guys. 

My grow area is 1.5x2m

Using fullspectrum led lights

humidity ranges from 40%-65%(day and night)

Temps go over 30 during the day some days up to 35. At night around 24-28

Feeding with biobizz bloom daily. 

This grow is clones of clones. 

As you guys mentioned in previous posts, for LED to be effective you have to get topnotch lights$$$. My light all cost around R1500 each.

300w pulling each. Also got a few LED down-lights(21w) to cover the edges of the grow. 

The current grow area i built within a few hrs, but skipped a lot of cnrs. So now i still have to seal it off properly and put intake air and out air vents. Currently just using a fan. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/31/2020 at 8:57 AM, Oolong83 said:

Hey guys. 

My grow area is 1.5x2m

Using fullspectrum led lights

humidity ranges from 40%-65%(day and night)

Temps go over 30 during the day some days up to 35. At night around 24-28

Feeding with biobizz bloom daily. 

This grow is clones of clones. 

As you guys mentioned in previous posts, for LED to be effective you have to get topnotch lights$$$. My light all cost around R1500 each.

300w pulling each. Also got a few LED down-lights(21w) to cover the edges of the grow. 

The current grow area i built within a few hrs, but skipped a lot of cnrs. So now i still have to seal it off properly and put intake air and out air vents. Currently just using a fan. 

Consulting a Vpd chart says that between 30-35c your humidity should be between 70-80% humidity. 

I'd say, generally, 35 is too hot. I'd also say constant air extraction is mandatory.

• Agree 1