Cloning? I'd like some help.

Umbra

I'm curious, does cloning a plant basically mean that, in theory, if you have a feminized plant that you can clone it to get more than one plant without the need ever for a male?

Wouldn't this make the new plant weaker over time?

Forgive my ill knowledge, that's why I'm asking, so thanks for any help :)

No it won't weaken the plant in reason, its what you refer to as a mother plant and a number of clones can be taken from her over time. At a later stage you can re clone another mother plant. Ppl have kept mother plants for years on end.

So no male is needed unless you wanting to make the seeds.

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

Cloning is the way to go. Especially if you a awesome strain and not so awesome cash flow. Plus its super easy.

It really is easy & you don't need much to make clones. Ive used some rockwool cubes & a 2l bottle.... they looked a bit rough at the end, but the 3 cuttings all took root.

I so wanna try monster cropping, but can't bring myself to snip a growing bud. Lol

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

No it won't weaken the plant in reason, its what you refer to as a mother plant and a number of clones can be taken from her over time. At a later stage you can re clone another mother plant. Ppl have kept mother plants for years on end.

So no male is needed unless you wanting to make the seeds.

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

So the mother plant is the original donor plant, right? so  im a bit confused, how can people keep a mother plant for years (Unless its a new mother plant made from the clones) if cannabis plants are annuals? unless Im completely misinderstanding, lol

If it stays on a veg cycle (18/6 , 24/0 ) the mother will stay alive. As soon as you flower her out then its over unless you re-veg her but that takes time but also worth it if you found a Bagseed gem.

If it stays on a veg cycle (18/6 , 24/0 ) the mother will stay alive. As soon as you flower her out then its over unless you re-veg her but that takes time but also worth it if you found a Bagseed gem.

Also depends on when you start your grow if you're growing outdoors. I'm going for my 2nd harvest of the smaller of my 2 monsters (started mid-May last year) & the bigger one re-vegged in the middle of flowering a few months ago... If you leave most of the small popcorn buds on the plant it'll provide some food for the plant to survive until conditions are good for a re-veg (I think)

@Umbra the peat moss should work fine for clones as long as it holds enough moisture.

Will sphagnum peat moss also be alright for cloning? 

I've read that peat moss isn't good for cloning. I can't remember why but my guess would be its ability to keep a stable PH or something along those lines. 

It's best to use a totally inert substrate like coco peat(contained in jiffy pellets) or rockwool cubes for cloning

Will sphagnum peat moss also be alright for cloning?

I've read that peat moss isn't good for cloning. I can't remember why but my guess would be its ability to keep a stable PH or something along those lines.

It's best to use a totally inert substrate like coco peat(contained in jiffy pellets) or rockwool cubes for cloning

I've used rockwool & tap water, which worked. I would think that peat moss would also work...

Jimmy-z[/member] just read that it apparently holds too much water for cloning... could lead to stem rot

I'm sure it could work but to cut any risk out of it, I'd go with the 2 most commonly used substrates because they've been proven to work the most effectively.

Jimmy-z[/member] just read that it apparently holds too much water for cloning... could lead to stem rot

Some people have had success cloning in just a glass of water, so I'd take that with a grain of salt. :) I'd try anything to see what's more cost effective, but rooting gel/powder is the most important imho.

Some people have had success cloning in just a glass of water, so I'd take that with a grain of salt. :) I'd try anything to see what's more cost effective, but rooting gel/powder is the most important imho.

I'd be cautious to give such advice. Yes there may be cost effective ways but they won't be the most effective ways. Saving a few rands to have a 70% success rate rather than a 90% success rate seems silly to me, especially with cloning. Cloning in a glass of water poses too many risks for weed, yes you can do it with other plants and herbs but cannabis doesn't take too well to it. I'm sure many would agree with me.

If I'm not mistaken coco peat is cheaper than peat moss in bulk anyway. At the end of the day, jiffy pellets or rockwool cubes are the best options...

• 1 year later...

Maybe a bit late to reply but I used this guide, worked well for me: https://www.growweedeasy.com/cloning-made-easy

I was thoroughly dejected after my first couple attempts, as I had 75% failure rates, but it seems I was misting too often, and didn't let enough air in on the first few days; that recipe got me to 75% success.

Edited by SavageGas
  • Like 1