Indica Vs Sativa – Does It Really Matter?

Toby

I think there are differences. I've not smoked huge amounts of different strains, but I've seen that in moderate doses, indica strains seem like they affect the body more (make me feel heavy and tired) while the sativas make me laugh and chat more. However, I think people go overboard with nuances.  Like I've seen people making ridiculous levels of detailed analysis on effects which seem to be attributable to randomness. Also, I've found that when I smoke a shit tonne of any type of weed, it always has the same effect: a weird dissonance between my senses, like my neurons are "lagging", and if I'm alone extreme paranoia and sometimes auditory hallucinations.

• 2 months later...

well i guess it depends, from a growers perspective i like to know the parentage roughly , and then apply some of this to how i grow them.

For instance, i usually expect much more stretch from a sativa, and i can compensate for it when i am growing.

in terms of effects, one can draw general conclusions in terms of content, and ratios of THC/CBD from the plants background as well.

but at the end of the day, enjoy what you enjoy!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow, this is an old thread... The link does not even work anymore.

I sometimes wonder about this a bit too, if you have a sativa and let it mature heavily until the trichomes are mostly amber, the effects are similar to that of an indica.

The fact that a lot of plants nowadays are hybrids... I dunno, what are your thoughts?

• Like 1

As long as it tastes good and has a nice effect on me.. I consume it. I do not prefer one over the other.. mornings I am more a Sativa type.. evening more Indica.. but all of them in Ruderalis form ^^ Smokers forget the third strain.. growers know it 😁

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sativa makes damn good medz - just look at the potency tests. That is my opinion from a number of years of play. The sun and the latitude makes landrace strains multiply cannabiniods. Why do Northern corporations have moerse local farms producing export quality material? This is hardly in the MSM so details are scant.

We gonna keep refining the local landrace to see if we hit a sweet spot. So clean Sativa with good qualities and sound phenos with high thc is the goal. If anything - it is fun playing that game. So far so good and supported in published science. It is going to be more in demand soon. Homeostasis anyone?

1 minute ago, PsyCLown said:

@Prom curious as to why you like autos so much?

Also when I think high THC I typically think of an Indica dominant hybrid.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Jip. I battle to get any sativa dominant above 16%ish. More indica influence needed to go beyond that.

Jip. I battle to get any sativa dominant above 16%ish. More indica influence needed to go beyond that.
Also when looking at a pure indica vs hybrids... The hybrids seem to be where its at thc wise.

I dunno why, although that's been my brief observation. You do get some higher thc sativa dominant strains but the the indica dominant ones seem to have slightly higher thc still.
This is based on the percentages provided by the breeders though.

It really comes down to terpenes I guess. Combination work. Sativas tend to carry higher amounts of certain terpenes while indica another that is higher. 

The most popular and sought after strains nowadays have extreme terpene profiles compared to the standard lemony sativas and spicy hash smelling indicas of the 80s. They were pretty flat boring profiles compared to today.

Edited by Totemic

26 minutes ago, Totemic said:

It really comes down to terpenes I guess. Combination work. Sativas tend to carry higher amounts of certain terpenes while indica another that is higher. 

The most popular and sought after strains nowadays have extreme terpene profiles compared to the standard lemony sativas and spicy hash smelling indicas of the 80s. They were pretty flat boring profiles compared to today.

I've unfortunately stumbled upon a few of these boring lemony strains...

@CreX you were literally bitching about this just the other day.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PsyCLown said:

@Prom curious as to why you like autos so much?

Simplicity, low maintenance and yield... the Bruce Banners I topped one, as she was on her own mission. Rest I had no time with the outdoor harvest keeping me rather busy... took the Brucies down 4 days ago, my poor AC is overtime dehumidifying hehehe but.. I got 3.8kg wet and very much expect 1kg dry from that batch on 1m2 of area. Took me 6 hours to trim those 3.8kg and there is very little final dressing for the buds. Never defoiled or had a bigger mission during the grow.. check each day.. feed if needed (they never got pure water till flush). As said.. simplicity. I gave up on Fems.. to much work ^^ and way to many leaves to cut 😁

Simplicity, low maintenance and yield... the Bruce Banners I topped one, as she was on her own mission. Rest I had no time with the outdoor harvest keeping me rather busy... took the Brucies down 4 days ago, my poor AC is overtime dehumidifying hehehe but.. I got 3.8kg wet and very much expect 1kg dry from that batch on 1m2 of area. Took me 6 hours to trim those 3.8kg and there is very little final dressing for the buds. Never defoiled or had a bigger mission during the grow.. check each day.. feed if needed (they never got pure water till flush). As said.. simplicity. I gave up on Fems.. to much work ^^ and way to many leaves to cut 
Hmm, I dunno man.

Maintenance wise, I feel they're much of a muchness really. The biggest difference being that autos will start to flower by themselves.

Take a photoperiod and flip it to flower early and results would be similar. You'd probably get higher thc content from the photos too and way more options available as well.

Once plants are in flower maintenance mainly comes down to defol, but you don't have to.

I will send some material for testing, I want to know how much is inside. The CBD material I have to test or I can't put the correct dosage inside the capsules I will make by hand.

The Brucies were flowering for 7 weeks.. and they got 20 hours energy a day.. If you calculate that over into real time, my autos get way more light compared to a fem.. not so sure they are lower on taste and THC.

But I don't want to convince people to do Autos ^^ do what you like.. I stick to my road and my Autos hehehehe have a Royal Gorilla Batch running in a separate tent on 24/0.. just curious how that ends 😁

I will post my numbers from the lab test.. once i get them.. 

I will send some material for testing, I want to know how much is inside. The CBD material I have to test or I can't put the correct dosage inside the capsules I will make by hand.
The Brucies were flowering for 7 weeks.. and they got 20 hours energy a day.. If you calculate that over into real time, my autos get way more light compared to a fem.. not so sure they are lower on taste and THC.

But I don't want to convince people to do Autos ^^ do what you like.. I stick to my road and my Autos hehehehe have a Royal Gorilla Batch running in a separate tent on 24/0.. just curious how that ends 

I will post my numbers from the lab test.. once i get them.. 
I believe its due to the fact that Ruderalis is not psychoactive and does not contain thc.
So breeding with it will affect the traits and therefore the thc and other cannabinoids too.

End of the day in order for the stain to be an auto, it needs to contain some Ruderalis and specifically the autoflowering trait. As far as I'm aware, that's generally the only trait a breeder wants from Ruderalis.

Yes, but the auto function is bound to just one genome... that genome is bread into the plant.. the rest is a bit like it was. Ruderalis has a very different look.. none of that is anymore present, gone, you just see what you want to see. As said, each has its preferences 😉 i like autos.

Will get the Gelato and Brucie tested at qure.co.za.  Rather curious where they stand... 

Yes, but the auto function is bound to just one genome... that genome is bread into the plant.. the rest is a bit like it was. Ruderalis has a very different look.. none of that is anymore present, gone, you just see what you want to see. As said, each has its preferences  i like autos.
Will get the Gelato and Brucie tested at qure.co.za.  Rather curious where they stand... 
I'm not against autos, I feel they have their place.
I've grown some and will grow more in future too.

Please let us know the test results.

I don't mind smoking some weed and not getting super baked, as long as it tastes and/or smells good. 

I wouldn't grow a CBD specific strain for myself, though as long as the bud is good I don't mind if someone else brings it to the party.

As for the Sativa or Indica thing, I don't know. Maybe I'm not smoking weed right, but what I get from the bud I smoke depends more on the mood and energy I was in right before I smoked. If I smoked a straight indica right as I woke up I'll just continue on with my day, don't have time to be lazy and "get tired". Within the next two hours I would have smoked again. Sometimes I smoke smoke sativa right before I go to bed, if it's some super sativa shit I probably lay there with a goofy smile on my face for like 3min longer than I would have if it was indica, if I haven't fallen asleep already...

I guess my answer is that it doesn't matter hahah!

• Agree 1

Lol the time old debate S v I 

My preference is sativa vibes all the time... I love Indica vibes as well but if a gun was held to my head and I had to make a choice of what I'm gonna grow and smoke for the rest of my life of me and my family gets it...... 

Then sativa... 

Which is a shit show for indoor growing!! Like really... What the fuck man?? 100% to 200% stretch?? 

Ain't nobody got the headroom for that... 

And then there's the crazy flowering times! 10-16 weeks!!! Nortice tortice 

So for me... I want hybrids... The kind of hybrids and selective breeding that brings one a sativa high, and Indica growing. 

I have attained such a plant.... Once... When I was a noob and didn't even know anything about anything... 

Dense nugs... Short plant... Explosive energy... Marathon endurance get all your shit done vibes... 

And that's my goal... To find such a plant again.