new dual arc

Surv0

Anybody have any issues with Sunmaster 600w dual arc bulbs? Ive been getting some weird leaf burn over the last few weeks which I believe may be coming from the MH part of my bulb? Apparently MH for the first 300hrs burns really hot putting out quite a bit of UV which can cause leaf burn... recurring issue for a while now while running this bulb. Trying to just bat through it in the hopes it runs itself in fairly soon. Switching to a digital ballast this week which may help a bit, but tempted to go back to HPS. using the Dual arc as a flowering bulb right now, only 12 hours on so the UV may not be that bad going forward.

Put up a pic of the lady effected if you don't mind , might not be light burn

Apologies should have done this initially..

EvrqETo.jpg

wPBbYJr.jpg

They seem find now under the CFL's.

Also this tends to only happen on the older leaves, no growth seems ok, but as time goes on, the newer growth becomes older and this issue comes up. Happens on all plants except my Lady X which has a much darker leaf complexion.

What medium is she in and what you feeding ? Are you running bare bulb or cooled?

Using a home made coco mix...

Worm castings, perlite, vermiculite, bonemeal, rock phosphate, turbogrow, mycoroot and a few earthworms.

feeding biobizz grow and bloom, and every so often some epson salts and seagrow.

I have an intake duct pointing at a winged hood, so not cooled as well as I would like, more bare than anything. Closed hood hopefully coming soon. The air blows in the direction of the extractor but the winged hood creates some movement downwards and swirling. Ive got a rotating 40mm fan that blows over the plants on low. Temps sit at around 24/25c where it counts.

Could be a result of overwatering... I've had a similar reaction to overwatering.

The leaves drooping and clawing seems to point to that

If it was the light surely the top leaves would be affected first?

edit: could even be mag def, plant is looking a tad pale

Could be a result of overwatering... I've had a similar reaction to overwatering.

The leaves drooping and clawing seems to point to that

If it was the light surely the top leaves would be affected first?

edit: could even be mag def, plant is looking a tad pale

Ill admit, these images are a few days old. Ill take some fresh ones so you can see the difference since I put under CFL. Also removed the burnt leaves. Had them under the HID on a lesser light cycle, before switching over to flower at which point I moved them to a veg room with CFL at 18/6.

Im quite careful with regards to the watering. Only once every 3 maybe 4 days. Sometimes need to remember to water it. The plants looks great at the start of the light cycle, after some rest. It seems to start to wilt closer to the end of the cycle, just this plant and one other. I double check the soil saturation at the bottom of the pot before feeding. Also check on weight etc.

I think the light issue is related to long term exposure to UV? so older leaves start showing signs. I have light bleaching and burning on top leaves before so can spot that issue, but this is different.

Im hoping to counter any mag def with the epson salts I add once every 2 weeks or when it seems the leaves need some colour.

I think you got a issue with the vermiculite in your soil causing lack of air exchange in the root zone . This in turn may be causing a slight ph fuctuation causing a little burn

Ok I havent considered this. Good point...never actually thought vermiculite could do this. I answered the watering query with post above.

Thanks, im going to have to keep an eye on them. Perhaps a bit more frequent feeds, but less to keep soil PH in range. Perhaps drying them out causes it go out of wack. If it is the UV, i guess I will know soon if the issue persists. If it does, then vermiculite is another factor I need to rule out.

Next soil wont have it included.

Hi Surv0 please post current pic under CFLs. Maybe she needs a flush...

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Will do, every third water is a flush though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Flushing isn't suited to this situation cos you've got organic amendments in your medium. Unless when you say flush you just mean normal gentle watering with straight water.

edit: What water are you using and are you checking PH?

Flushing isn't suited to this situation cos you've got organic amendments in your medium. Unless when you say flush you just mean normal gentle watering with straight water.

100% dont do an actual flush, just straight water feed. Have only been feeding organics so not too worried about lockout issues because of the nutes. Maybe because of PH fluctuation though.

• 2 weeks later...

How did this turn out in the end

Ive still got the burn hey so must be related to the vermiculite increasing the PH. It still only comes up on older leaves, not newer ones, and doesnt come on very fast.

I also think its related to how frequently Ive been watering, compared to a buddy using the same soil. He waters more often, every 2nd day, and hasnt had the same issues. Ive been waiting 3 to 4 days, letting the soil dry a bit more than I normally would (not completely dry at the base) which might be increasing the PH as it dries. So less water, but more frequent feeds I think will have to do to maintain stable PH range.

That said, using a vermiculite free soil for some autos and a new fem seed Ive popped recently. So far the one auto is loving the new soil, no sign of previous issues.

Added a cooled hood reflector to my setup as well so the heat has come way down (actually think I may have to introduce more heat over winter). Just need to put up some reflection still, as soon as I have the time.

B8VyGqQ.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Will grab a new pic, but the issue wasnt a UV burn at all. Seems to be PH related and keeps coming up when the soil temp drops and is made worse by plants with a root system that hasnt taken over the pot. Stagnant soil, high PH, resulting in issues. My flowering plants came out of those problems themselves but the roots have taken over those pots completely.

I still have the issue on two plants (have been problems from day 1) but they are pushing into flower now.

Ive made a new soil which balances the PH nicely, but the temps arent helping at the moment. Slow evaporation, im only watering like once every 4 to 5 days.. and I think this isnt helping.. cant really water more frequently than that, soil isnt dry enough.

Bring on summer...

Will grab a new pic, but the issue wasnt a UV burn at all. Seems to be PH related and keeps coming up when the soil temp drops and is made worse by plants with a root system that hasnt taken over the pot. Stagnant soil, high PH, resulting in issues. My flowering plants came out of those problems themselves but the roots have taken over those pots completely.

I still have the issue on two plants (have been problems from day 1) but they are pushing into flower now.

Ive made a new soil which balances the PH nicely, but the temps arent helping at the moment. Slow evaporation, im only watering like once every 4 to 5 days.. and I think this isnt helping.. cant really water more frequently than that, soil isnt dry enough.

Bring on summer...

Maybe try fabric pots next time or perhaps you could even transplant those into fabric pots.

Bring on summer...

Maybe try fabric pots next time or perhaps you could even transplant those into fabric pots.

Ive got this in mind for change of season, specifically my outdoor plants. Im moving these pots around quite a bit and not 100% sure on the rigidity/stability of the fabric pots. got a buddy working on a frame system for them which will help quite a bit and give it nice stability but yeah not so sure just yet.  Ill stick with the current pots for this grow but look to transplant into fabric for the next beans Ive put down.