How do you dry and cure your harvest?

420SA

• 5 months later...

I'm gonna attempt a bump on this topic seeing as it's harvest time for me in a few weeks and I'm still very uncertain on the best method for harvesting and drying.... ::) :investigating

Would love to hear people's tried and trusted methods. Do you manicure right after you harvest or do you manicure once it's been dried for a few days? I've read that it's best not to cut off the individual buds right away as that will speed up the drying process too much. What are your thoughts on that?

What are your drying area conditions? Temps, humidity and air movement. This part of the grow is often overlooked but getting it wrong can turn a really good grow into something very average, if not disappointing. 

There's so much varying opinion on the matter so would love to get some discussion going on it.

:-peace

My process starts as follows 

1. A week before harvest I remove fan leaves , do a flush and leave the ladies in complete darkness.

2. After the week passes I remove all the sugar leaves and throw them in a tray to dry a bit before they get stripped of their goodness and BHO is made.

3. The buds still attached to their main stems gets hanged in a cabinet , where temp remains at 23 to 24 degrees and humidity at 45 percent. 

4. They remain in there until main stems snap rather than bending , roughly 5 days.

5. The buds then get removed individually and bottled , followed by burping them once a day .

6. After a week they get removed from the jars for a final 5 min air out and then they go back into the jars and left in a dark cupboard for as long as I can contain my urge not to touch them haha , usually a minimum of a month , but some peeps cure for up to 6 months . 

From my personal experience you can grow the best bud , but if your drying and curing process is not up to scratch , all is in vein .  

Peace :investigating

• 11 months later...
Remember to never put your wet bud on newspaper guys , the ink transfers to the bud and isn't very good for you.

I guess smoking in it in newspaper is bad to. I microwave my buds for 5 minutes straight from the tree and then dip them in dry resin, punch a nail through it and light it up while making the next one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nah, I had some issues with PM on my last grow. Some of the guys in the states are big into bud washing, and pointed me in that direction. Worked wonders. They don't use it just for PM though. They advocate it for everyone.

It's quite simple, but here is what you do:

3 buckets. One with baking soda, lemon juice and room temp water. One with hot tap water. The last with cold tap water. Once you've harvested and trimmed, you take a branch with buds and agitate it for about a minute in the first bucket, making sure not to bump it against the sides of the bucket. You don't want to damage those trichs. Then you just rinse off in the last 2 buckets. Place the wet buds on some paper toweling with a fan on them for about 30 min. Making sure to turn the buds once after about 15min. Then straight on to the drying racks or lines. They dry quickly, and cure well.

I know it sounds counter productive, but the results are excellent.

The idea is to wash off the crap your buds collect over an 8 - 10 week period. It also seems to wash some chlorophyll out, because the water is pale green when I'm done.

Let me assure you that there is no loss in potency, and the buds sparkle with trichs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried out George Cervantez's h2o2 bath at the end of last year on my one plant which was quite badly affected by PM and I was quite chuffed with the results. Potency was still right up there, the only downside I noticed was that the bud had lost quite a bit of its aroma

Would I recommend it? If your plant is badly effected by PM, yes! 

Your method also sounds good Trailblazer, if not safer :thumbups

• 4 weeks later...
Morning folks. What's your thoughts on bud to jar ratio while curing? I've read that some folks prefer medium sized jars over big ones.

I use the 1ltr consol preservative jar and fill it up 75%. If you out in the Stellenbosch area their factory shop is there. It works out R13/jar (with lid) if you buy a box of 12.

• 2 weeks later...
So I'm on week 2 of drying and curing, the RH in the jar goes between 63 and 66% the jar now, should I let the buds air? How long and how often? I know I should be between 60 and 65%. So do you even burp the jars when you're in the cure zone?

If you in the zone, burp it daily. Take the lids of for 2 minutes or so just to exchange the air. When the RH is constant maybe every 3 days to once weekly. Thats atleast my practice of curing and have had great results. I am also keen to know if there are any other input on this? :poke

• 1 year later...
Guest shadowassasin

You won't be disappointed bud.

Going to try this next time i have pm issues or know some one else that has. I have never heard of this before thanks for sharing

• 1 year later...