DIY Rosin Press

Guest Oracle

So for all the tinkerers out there,  have any of you had any success with a diy Rosin Press? I see some people saying that you can use a hair straightener, but this seems a little light duty.

I'm considering building a press out of 2 x irons for heat from top and bottom,  with a lever of sorts to force the top iron down to the bottom one. I wish I still had a shirt press :(

Any ideas would be appreciated, I'll probably start this project in the next week or two.

High,

This is a interesting bit of combined engineering idea, with a minimal bit of experience i have with building a manual press injection mold, simply you have a heat control, which are two nodes hell attactch it to a DIY leaver press. you might need to have some channels cut into your plates,i guess you could just use a hair iron heat plate attached to some aluminum thin plate and i guess done... naybe check out diy injection mold and see what popsup

So to further this discussion, and maybe provide some insight into why alemo thinks this process is garbage, we should discuss decarbing.

Decarbing happens at around 115c, generally for around 30 to 60min. I believe when decarbing bubble, its best left to decarb for around 45mins or so. Anything after 60mins and the THC starts to degrade.

Ive seen alot of guys say they only press at around 75-90c, and this press doesnt happen for very long I think. So decarb is not an issue here. At 145c, you can decarb some bubble for about 7-8 minutes before thc degrades, so if you are pressing for a minute or so, even at 130c it should be ok, however you still get some thca to thc conversion happening at that temp. the higher the temp the more terpenes and cannabinoids gets vapourised.

So pressing at 75c to 90c should prevent the loss of terpenes and conversion of the acids? Ive never pressed before, but very interested.

From what ive bothered to read about on rosin, is that the rosin is fully loaded with plant waxes and lipids, which in turn is not good for your lungs etc.

Your main goal is to have as less amount of "others" as possible. Only THC's and CBD's...

My 2c

From what ive bothered to read about on rosin, is that the rosin is fully loaded with plant waxes and lipids, which in turn is not good for your lungs etc.

Your main goal is to have as less amount of "others" as possible. Only THC's and CBD's...

My 2c

We get these fats and lipids when smoking though, not specifically when making concentrates. The only way to remove these is to force them to coagulate, using ethanol or something similar, and a freezer. One can then filter them out of the extract.

There are whole communities dedicated to making rosin, and swear by it so there must be something to it.

Of course you get them when extracting.. where do they appear from?

Only way to rid the waxes etc is to winterize your rosin (disolve in ethenol, then filter via vac assisted buchner filter, then purge off ethenol)

But yes everyone has there own preferences and they will stick by it.

I say find yours and know it backwards as not to get caught out....

I got you. I meant we get the same lipids/fats when smoking, as we do when smoking extracts so I wouldnt look at it in a negative light because of it. winterising, filter and eth purge to clean it up nicely.

Do fats/lipids get removed through vacuum purging?

• 5 months later...
Guest shadowassasin

What is the ideal temp and time one would want to press at? Think I need invest in a laser therm as I have a free hair irony thingy brand new never been used lol