Water delivery system

CG420za

Howzit guys.

I'm curious. Do any of you have an automated water delivery system? I'm looking to do something along theses lines coz there are days when I'm not home and my plants suffer. It's gotta be small scale. If you have a system in place, lets see it or hear your ideas.

:-peace

Howzit guys.

I'm curious. Do any of you have an automated water delivery system? I'm looking to do something along theses lines coz there are days when I'm not home and my plants suffer. It's gotta be small scale. If you have a system in place, lets see it or hear your ideas.

:-peace

Use an Autopot system which utilises the patented aquavalve which will only feed your plant when required. I actually have one but I have to look for it in-between boxes of my last move.

I did the same thing initially, thought I would use a reservoir of sorts with some water/nutes and run some piping to each plant, on a timer, with some resistance to limit the flow.

Could never make it work. The timers, cost effective ones, dont do by the minute operations. I worked out the water would only need to run for a minute maybe, but timer could only do 15/30min intervals. Also the water is applied in one location, often just running straight through and not saturating the medium correctly.

I packed the stuff away and only hand water now. Also gives me a bit more control I think.

Would love to know if you can make it work, and more of the details around the setup, flow, timing etc.

Digital timer does minute times, has 8 programmes and is perfect for feed scheduling.

Just use a button dripper with 2 or 4 way split. With or without a spike to distribute the water evenly.

If your water is just running out the bottom, either you are using a very drainy organic medium which will require emending or it will leach out all the nutes...

Or you are using hydroton, which then requires multi feeds during the day..

using a coco/perlite mix.

I didnt really look at the digital timers, may have been a bit out of my budget at the time.

When I water I always allow for additional runoff.. about 10-20%. this is how Ive always understood watering. little run off to prevent salt/impurity buildup.

I made mine using an air pump instead of a water pump. A water pump pushes too liquid in a 1 minute interval. The airpump displaces 1L of water every 59 seconds. So now that I have that input, I can feed using a timer.

Water to runoff occurs daily at 18H00 (3.8L), 1L top up at 03H00. Hopefully the leaves wont wilt by the time I get home on the hot days. That I'll see this evening.

Ideally I'd like to run 2 tanks, one with feed, one with water so I can alternate feeds.

I made mine in the shape of a ring around the base of the plant with 5 watering points, so she gets watered properly. I'll snap a pic or two tonight.

I made mine using an air pump instead of a water pump. A water pump pushes too liquid in a 1 minute interval. The airpump displaces 1L of water every 59 seconds. So now that I have that input, I can feed using a timer.

Water to runoff occurs daily at 18H00 (3.8L), 1L top up at 03H00. Hopefully the leaves wont wilt by the time I get home on the hot days. That I'll see this evening.

Ideally I'd like to run 2 tanks, one with feed, one with water so I can alternate feeds.

I made mine in the shape of a ring around the base of the plant with 5 watering points, so she gets watered properly. I'll snap a pic or two tonight.

Sounds interesting! You have my attention :-puffin

As well, would like to see the results.

Is a 3am topup feed required?

Lights on at 18H00, off at 04H30 for now. I feed at 18H00 and when I get home the following day, the coco is dry and the leaves are wilting. So I water once more just before lights out. So tonight I'll see if there's an improvement.

As well, would like to see the results.

Is a 3am topup feed required?

Lights on at 18H00, off at 04H30 for now. I feed at 18H00 and when I get home the following day, the coco is dry and the leaves are wilting. So I water once more just before lights out. So tonight I'll see if there's an improvement.

I see. I have a similar regime, lights on at 6pm, when I generally give them water. this ends up being enough for at least 2 days. I wait a day, then water.. coco isnt dry by the next day. Outdoors is daily though.

you mentioned a 3.8lt feed, is this per plant or across a few?

Hi,

my girls in in a 30l pot, she is drinking like a fish she would go through about 3l every 3-4th day with about 400ml +-run off messured when i could still lift pot , now she is up she is up to about 4l every 2 days and seems to be quite happy . i added some mulch for ground ,i watered on sunday so i wanna see how long it lasts. i did some longer dry periods to push root development..

I measured my run off, it was actually closer to 2L, so now I'll feed half a mix instead, I've been wasting nutes. Meh! The run off from 2L was +-150ml. And she was happier with that 3am feed @IanK

This is what my watering thingie looks like... The air displaces the water. Airpump is mounted in the box on the top of the cab, the airline runs down into the bottle, there's another line in the bottle that goes to my "sprinkler" :-hilarious

The run off goes into the saucer, down the pipe, the pipe goes out the cab through the vent and into a ice cream container. No mess, no fuss. I'm thinking of making another one to dispense the nutes.

Photo_2017-01-16_20_18_34.thumb.jpg.e7fdc7acf42e9ae47b1b53ae746f9da5.jpg

Photo_2017-01-16_20_19_22.thumb.jpg.78832f241cbd5bf9e721484da190f9ee.jpg

Photo_2017-01-16_20_32_07.thumb.jpg.9026a4d22c089bb376c0d40d130e3ba6.jpg