LED Floodlights

Guest Oracle

Guest Oracle

So i was sitting pondering about lighting a little while ago. I remember a failed attempt at trying to grow under these "white" 50W LED floodlights. Honestly, I realized it was not the right spectrum, but didn't expect it to do as poorly as it did. I recently saw that you can buy the full spectrum LED 'Chips' (effectively the LED), so I went off and got myself a 200W LED floodlight. Chips have not yet arrived, but I intend to replace the original white chips, with the full spectrum chips.

Anyone have experience with such a conversion?

Guest Oracle

Depends on the time of year. Winter is your "whiter/blue" shades where as summer sun transmits warm colors, yellows, reds. This change in color is what "tells" the plant that its time to flower.

Your full spectrum lights have all colors, whereas your full spectrum grow lights eliminate the colors that are not used for growing, ie greens, which the plant can't "see".

^ This information is completely incorrect.  Your bright cool lights are summer and veg lights. In autumn and winter the sun rays take on warmer colours the oranges and the reds for flowering.

To answer the question asked: Led floodlights are not your best bet as they tend to focus a beam of light rather than evenly diffusing it. You would be better off using CFLs for veg and get yourself a ballast and 400w HPS at least, otherwise you will just be setting yourself up for a dissapointing harvest.

• Like 1

Guest Oracle

No, a quick Google search on the growing spectrum of plants will give you a clear indication. Greens are invisible to the plants, they cant process any greens. This is why many indoor growers have a green light in their grow rooms. This is used when entry to the room is needed when it is the rooms dark period, as it does not screw with the light cycle. Indoor lighting is a discussion that has been debated for decades and will be for centuries to come. Have a look at the charts below, it'll help give you a clearer understanding of the various lighting spectrums out there.

Personally, although I have "successfully" grown a single plant under 45W CFL in hydro, it's not the same as the old school HID lighting. The 20g yield would have been closer to 200g if i had decided to fire up the "big lights".

If you're interested, I can post a more comprehensive summary of lighting and how these plants react under them based on research and personal experience, as long as you're not in a hurry rasta-smoke.gifrasta-smoke2.gifweedpoke.gifrasta-smoke2.gifrasta-smoke.gif

Sorry if the previous post was a little "off"

Light_Spectrum_by_light_type.png.e9928d4fdfeed6fb5bd45809d12b7794.png

led_grow_light_spectrometer_graph_for_growace_advance_spectrum_led.jpg.d13bc3024b22bbeb835908887d6e51e5.jpg

Guest Oracle

^ This information is completely incorrect.  Your bright cool lights are summer and veg lights. In autumn and winter the sun rays take on warmer colours the oranges and the reds for flowering.

To answer the question asked: Led floodlights are not your best bet as they tend to focus a beam of light rather than evenly diffusing it. You would be better off using CFLs for veg and get yourself a ballast and 400w HPS at least, otherwise you will just be setting yourself up for a dissapointing harvest.

Thanks dude, I quite like the "experimentation". I do have a few 400W HID lights which is what I'm using at the moment. I understand the directional light, but it only sort of sunk in after you mentioned it. I suppose the only way to make LED work then is in large panels, which is why they're sold as such :-hilarious

My only problem is the heat from those HIDs.

I'll maybe take some pics and start a grow log.