H2o2 Bath after harvest to remove PM

420SA

I recently harvested a plant still quite badly affected by PM. I did some searching for solutions and found this option by Jorge Cervantes. Of course prevention is better than having to resort to these measures but this procedure seemed safe enough to me. 

I did this procedure with my plant last night so I'll report on the results. So far I haven't seen any PM on the branches I've been manicuring. Satisfied so far

Guest kimcarsons

Not for me thanks. Oxidation agents and combustion.... Sounds sketchy. I'd toss the lot. You gotta rid that PM or else it will keep coming back bro. Do some research into finding some Chlorine Dioxide and clean the tent and all. Alternatively, sulphur bomb the fuck outa the place and use some good chemical fungicide. None of this organic crap, I'm talking systemic chemicals. That PM ain't going away by itself. Figure out which strain it is and kill it.

Not for me thanks. Oxidation agents and combustion.... Sounds sketchy. I'd toss the lot. You gotta rid that PM or else it will keep coming back bro. Do some research into finding some Chlorine Dioxide and clean the tent and all. Alternatively, sulphur bomb the fuck outa the place and use some good chemical fungicide. None of this organic crap, I'm talking systemic chemicals. That PM ain't going away by itself. Figure out which strain it is and kill it.

Believe me I did my fair bit of research on the matter. I found enough info from various growers to convince me enough to try this in the emergency I have here. Some growers apparently even use this method to "clean" their bud in general. I wouldn't do this frequently but for my current situation, and to try out, I thought why not... 

I still have some really good bud here so I can't just toss it cos of PM, I don't have the ballas. I've yet to find any solid opinion stating that smoking pm infested bud is actually bad for you anyway.... :investigating of all that swazi you've bought off the street back in the day, you can be sure some of those buds were infested with pm. Another highly debatable topic :poke

My grow definitely does need a nuke which it will get end of November when I pack things up for a bit.

I used the hydrogen peroxide bath with great success. I grow outdoors and my prized dahlias garden always develops end of summer PM which spreads to some of my grow. Some strains are more susceptible than others.

H2O2 works brilliantly to wash off the PM. Make sure to give it a good rinse with plain old tap water after the H2O2 bath. Gently shake off the excess water and dry by hanging in front of a fan. There is no trace of any chemical smell or taste. Smoking PM infested weed or any fungus can't be good for the old lungs.

I also sprayed a mild solution of Sodium Bicarbonate and water onto the infected plant. This killed off the PM but also burnt the sugar leaves and the trichomes. It could be that my mild my solution was too strong. If I remember correctly, it was a quarter teaspoon bicarb to two litres of water.

Prevention is always better than having to find a cure after the cause.

Jamie's Garden Shop stocks Ampelomyces quisqualis which is a biological fungicide http://www.jamiesgardenshop.co.za/shop/ampelomyces-quisqualis-200gs-biological-fungicide/

The specs sound good. I will try use some this summer before the PM starts. Has anyone used this stuff? I have no knowledge of indoor treatment except from what I have read and it all seems like hectic chemical treatment is way to go.

Guest African Shaman

If I may chime in here. I have dealt with a lot of PM issues for a while now and i can say i have successfully dealt with PM ...  for now. I have tried all of the solutions but none of them had a permanent effect of the PM and it just came back. I have tried sprays, etc. I'm by no way saying all of these techniques do not work, but for me they did not give me much satisfaction. You can wipe away PM as much as you want and it will return. I even did what many commercial greenhouses do, by creating my own sulfur burner which kills all the spores, dead. Still, i had the PM return. I created an environment not conductive for it to survive, and now I was on the right path, but still the PM was returning, but at a much slower rate. After all, if you create an environment that is not sustainable for a certain species of fungus or virus to survive, then it cannot thrive. Then what i found to work, and there is literature out there that can better explain the science behind this, but trust me it works, is to increase your uptake of silica. It basically creates a barrier that makes it very difficult for the PM to attack the plant and thus you control their environment 100%, as PM can now not attack your plant, its difficult for any PM to exist. Mold and mildew spores are EVERYWHERE and trying to get rid of them is like trying to breathe all the air out of a room, unlikely that you will succeed. I have been doing this my last grow and PM has totally disappeared. This seemed to work for another friends grow with him not even changing the environment at all, so i would suggest you try this solution. Also a pity to hear about your harvest. What i did last time i had PM, i just took of the infected leaves rather than wash off the PM. And although I'm not a big fan of defoliating so close to harvest, i did manage to save my entire crop however. PM is an internal as well as external issue for a plant, so unless both is dealt with, it is more likely that PM will always return. But listen to all these guys, clean your room and all that, its all solid advice and if you remember what i said too, then I'm sure you will have much better luck next grow. Also you can always turn infected bud into BHO if you find it to be harmful for consumption. Perhaps you can post the article if you do find it to be harmful for consumption as it would be to the benefit of everyone to keep be informed about potential health threats. Happy growing!

Blessings

Thanks for all the sound input lads... funny enough its when i started supplementing silica that the problem started to creep up but i see that as a total coincidence and may have helped to prevent an even bigger outbreak from actually happening. I have a few more plants running, once they are done im gonna sterilise the hell out of my tent and start over... how would i get my own sulfur burner going?

Guest African Shaman

Pirate on icmag did a fantastic tutorial on it over here:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=117056

What i did was far simpler and easier to make but if you follow the general guidelines , you will succeed. All you are really making is an empty coffee can with a 100W light inside that heats up the sulfur that has been placed in an empty soft-drink can on top of the light.

If you have any further questions just let me know. I will be happy to help. I shall be posting a pic or two of mine below so you can see. Its much simpler and works just the same ;-)

african_shaman_sulfur_burner_2.jpg.8c1cc1ea24489757aecf6e2d7c477059.jpg

african_shaman_sulfur_burner_1.jpg.54c0e6769f4084fdadd030d760f3d71e.jpg