Dud seeds

Guest Cocopeat

Guest Cocopeat

Hey everyone

Been 7 days since I put 3 seeds into rockwool. Only one has sprouted. I've opened the rockwool on the other two, and while the shells have cracked open, and one has a tiny (2 mm) taproot, they don't seem to be viable.

I placed two more seeds in rockwool on Sunday, let's see what happens.

My seeds are about a year old, and have been passed around a bit. They were stored in a fridge for awhile, then in a drawer and who knows where else. Don't know if that could be the issue.

They come packaged quite well, so I thought they'd be OK.

I've still got 31 of them left, but don't know if they're worth the effort.

I'm open to suggestions buds?

image.thumb.jpg.ef274cf8c8e8e1110a84b9a257b1d30d.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.04e9deac2b6960aa1e894da77201004a.jpg

I've never had the greatest results starting straight from rockwool. Had much better success putting seeds between wet cotton pads in a warm dark area. Once they crack open and there's a tap root then put them into rockwool or straight into soil.

They can run out of energy trying to push through the rockwool if they are started from scratch in there. Especially if you use the pre-made hole they put in which I feel is too deep.

Best success I've had is cotton pads then into a soil mix I made which is a combo of store bought potting soil & mushroom compost mixed with some perlite. Once they are established I go into quite a rich living soil mix.

In all fareness...

If you plant a seed and it doesnt germinate or break the medium surface, then it wasn't a healthy seed to begin with.

By letting a seed germ and grow in its original medium, the root structure will be it's healthiest as the tap root doesn't get exposed to light or get handled, which in turn will damage the root hair.

So put your seeds about 2mm under the surface, keep moist ( not wet) and keep the area -+22 deg. Then patience is the game...

Just my 2 cents

If I may ask. How do you mean float test?

Placing seeds on water is less of a test and more about saturating the shell with water to crack it open.

while it is fair to say that after 48 hours if the seed still floats it more than likely wont germinate. Even if the seeds sink they could still fail.

Guest Maxwell

In my experience, if it floats and then sinks, it is viable. If it sinks straight away - the shell has been compromised - or doesn't sink at all, then it is unlikely to germ.

You should pot them up asap.

THe coco has no nutrients and they are going to need some now.

Decide what grow medium to use.

If you have a good soil mix you won't need to apply bottled nutrients.

I would suggest growing in soil as it is more forgiving than other mediums and requires less work.

If you are going to use bottled nutrients use at half dose while they seedlings.

Hi bud My 2 cents...

Not cooking an organic soil is like not baking a cake before you eat it... some people may like raw batter (just like plants) but other will hate it. Cooking soil is not a step you can really just leave out , if I was you in this position I would go for a coco ,perlite , lime , talborne mix to start with until your soil is cooked.

I have seen plants cope fine in uncooked soil but I have also seem a lot die so you are really taking a risk.

Using chemical nutrients in soil is a big no no. It will kill of all the good microbes in your soil. Since you have only done it once I don't see it being that much of an issue... but I could be wrong. Those seedlings are still tiny to be worrying about feeding , soil organic at least I am not a hydro grower .I would not make a tea with talborne for feeding , it was not designed for that and especially for seedlings that are very sensitive. If anything I would just flush the soil with plain water but be careful of damping off with all this watering going on.

Cheers

Reaf

Guest spootch

Patience

You gonna have to tie ur hands behind ur back! don't worry you will have lots to do when they get bigger, then u gonna have ur hands full