Mother plant or not?

So I take my clones once my girls go into flowering, see 90% of the articles out there talking about keeping a mother plant and take clones from her. Anyone out there, advantages/disadvantages of this?

Also who has kept a plant from seed alive through cloning the longest? 

I see some of the international guys keeping their mother plants for 10 years and longer under a 18/6 light. So if you have a favourite strain, it might be worth it if you have the space to keep a plant that never flowers.

Would like to try it eventually, but need a bigger space for that.

• Thanks 1

You can always force hermie and create feminized seeds if you're short on space. It is what I will be trying this season.

Helps a lot to be able to essentially shut down your operation during summer months and always have a backup for your favourite genetics.

• Thanks 1

@CleanGreen I think the whole idea behind a mother plant is more to know exactly what you are going to get instead of having to grow from seed with a chance of getting same strain but different fenotype. Mothers can also produces clones all the time, so getting a hight number of plants going quickly, a mother would be useful.

It seems that the colloidal silver does work. It is just not recommended to smoke the plant that you used that method on. So best is to treat one of the clones with colloidal silver and then pollinate a different female. That produces female seeds only as the pollen used originally came from a female plant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmm, this is interesting.

So the hermie won't produce seeds by itself? Cannot pollinate itself and create feminised seeds?

Still need another female in flowering to be pollinated, although you're bound to get feminised seeds at least?

I assume this would work with autoflowers as well?

@CleanGreen you therefore end up cloning a clone and so it continues until you decide to stop?

From what I have read it shouldn't be an issue and will fine as well, easier than having two tents - one for flowering and one for veg.

Edited by PsyCLown

3 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

So the hermie won't produce seeds by itself? Cannot pollinate itself and create feminised seeds?

With the bit of research I've done so far, a hermie will produce femenized seeds by itself, but you stand a good chance of carrying over the hermie in the seed. Therefore seeds produced this way is more likely to hermie by itself instead of needing the colloidal silver to force the male flowers to grow.

Don't see any reason for this not to work on a autos as well.

• Like 1

With the bit of research I've done so far, a hermie will produce femenized seeds by itself, but you stand a good chance of carrying over the hermie in the seed. Therefore seeds produced this way is more likely to hermie by itself instead of needing the colloidal silver to force the male flowers to grow.
Don't see any reason for this not to work on a autos as well.
I see, so if you force a hermie and then have another female and use the hermie to pollinate the hermie will that reduce the chances of those seeds turning into hermes easily?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PsyCLown said:

I see, so if you force a hermie and then have another female and use the hermie to pollinate the hermie will that reduce the chances of those seeds turning into hermes easily?

That is what I have managed to gather so far. If you use the hermie pollen on a female the chances of the seeds going hermie is reduced. It is also advised to discard the plant that the colloidal silver has been used on and not smoke or make oil/edibles from it. So getting seeds from that plant is probably not the best either.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 5:34 PM, CleanGreen said:

So I take my clones once my girls go into flowering, see 90% of the articles out there talking about keeping a mother plant and take clones from her. Anyone out there, advantages/disadvantages of this?

Also who has kept a plant from seed alive through cloning the longest? 

You can create mother plants from clones, however some growers prefer to keep their mother plant that was grown from seed.

11 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

Pollen that comes from a male flower on a female plant will have no male chromosomes and will produce female offspring. 

The next generations will become hermaphrodite a lot easier if plants get stressed, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pollen that comes from a male flower on a female plant will have no male chromosomes and will produce female offspring. 
The next generations will become hermaphrodite a lot easier if plants get stressed, etc.
How do breeders make feminised seeds then? Try get a mutant plant?

@PsyCLown most of the feminized seed people buy have a good chance to go hermie if you give them enough stress. That is also true for any Cannabis plant, however a regular seed from a hybrid or landrace will be able to withstand more stress, even need some chemicals applied to induce male flowers on the female plants.

There are quite a few methods breeders use to produce female only seeds. In the end this will all strengthen the hermie trait (just my opinion) in that particular strain. Cookies is a good example of too many s1 crosses.

It makes the trait more dominant instead of recessive.

EDIT: About mutants, they are usually sought afterin breeding projects for higher thc, bigger buds, things like that, having more chromosomes than a normal cannabis plant. AKA Polyploid

Edited by Dank
added info about mutants
  • Like 1

I just want to correct myself on something here.

If male flowers were induced on the female plant using certain chemicals (not stress) the offspring will need certain condition to go hermie, ie the chemicals.

Using stress (like interrupting the light cycles) to induce male flowers really passes on a high ratio of hermies the kids, I can vouch from experience on this. 

Big seedcompanies use certain chemical methods to create only female seeds. So theoretically they should not hermie so easily.

From my experience DP Blueberry and GirlScoutCookies throw herms if you just look at them wrong, its all up too debate inmo.

:-peace

Edited by Dank
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, PsyCLown said:

How do you use the chemicals?

Not sure about the other one, but colloidal silver is sprayed on the female as it goes into flower every day either for a set period or until you see male flowers appear. So very easy to do.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 4:26 PM, PsyCLown said:

Hmm, this is interesting.

Still need another female in flowering to be pollinated, although you're bound to get feminised seeds at least?

I assume this would work with autoflowers as well?

@CleanGreen you therefore end up cloning a clone and so it continues until you decide to stop?

From what I have read it shouldn't be an issue and will fine as well, easier than having two tents - one for flowering and one for veg.

@PsyCLown Yea I take clones from my clones. Two months rooting and vegging and two months flower.

• Like 1