Newb grow light

Morning all,

I was referred to this forum by a friend because I was looking for a good organic living soil mix for vegetables. I found the mix as well as a fascination with cannabis plants 😂 So now I want to grow some.

I’m on a fairly tight budget, I don’t smoke weed so can’t offset the expenses against my smoke budget. I just like growing stuff.

Could anybody give me some feedback on the Lumii Black Magnetic 600w kit available at www.hydroponic.co.za? https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/lumii-black-600w-magnetic-kit/

I plan on growing in soil in a cabinet type setup (still to be built but roughly 70cm x 120cm x 200cm).

Just a few questions:

1. Will this light be sufficient for the space?

2. I’ve read that HPS gets quite hot, how elaborate should my ventilation system be?

3. They describe the lamp as dual spectrum, does that mean I can use the same lamp for both Veg and Flowering?

4. Anything else you think I should know.

Thanks!

Z

Hey Z,

1) Yes in my opinion it will be sufficient for the space. The lumii ballast is working well for me, although i haven't had it long.

2) Check out the cooltube, with ducting and an exhaust fan it really does a fantastic job at controlling the heat. It is far superior to any open bulb type fixture in terms of heat regulation.

3) I would steer clear of dual spectrum bulbs, rather get a specific MH/HPS bulb and change them accordingly.

4) Even just as a hobby, it get's pretty pricey to put together a proper grow setup. Other considerations would be humidity/air movement (oscillating fans), intake fans etc.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zaskar09 said:

I’ve also read somewhere that HPS works better with an open bulb. UV-b or something like that is blocked by glass. Any specific reason why the dual spec bulbs are a no-go?

Dual spectrum in HPS is not dual spectrum, https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics/sunmaster-dual-spectrum-600w/ 

2000K is not dual spectrum, its very heavy on the flower.

• Like 1

This might be pure naivety but I’m not too worried about the heat for now, this will be exclusively a winter setup, once the seasons turn I’ll be growing outside (I stay on a farm) and I’ll use the light for vegetable seedlings. But as I said, I might be completely underestimating the heat.

13 hours ago, Zaskar09 said:

This might be pure naivety but I’m not too worried about the heat for now, this will be exclusively a winter setup, once the seasons turn I’ll be growing outside (I stay on a farm) and I’ll use the light for vegetable seedlings. But as I said, I might be completely underestimating the heat.

600 watts in that cab size is going to be very hot.

That specific light will increase your temps at least 10 degrees Celcius. So you will need active intake and exhaust fans running. Preferably fresh cold air on the intake. A 400watt light might be a better idea for your space.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

@SkunkPharm Just to confirm: Exhaust twice the size of intake? Would you have them running 24/7 or wired to an electric thermostat switch? I can build a larger cabinet if needs be, I don’t want to get a smaller light as the 600w should be perfect for my vegetable seedling station. I have enough random stuff around here to build intake/exhaust fans, ducting etc. Might even have the intake pull air through a cooler with dry ice if it’s necessary. 

Just thought about this but dry ice is in essence frozen CO2 so having the air intake pull through a cooler with dry ice will simultaneously cool the cabinet and increase the available CO2. Not sure how long the ice will last or how cost effective it would be though.

I find with enough air movement your plants are ok. So rather go over kill on the fans. And for winter grows temps are fine with out cooling. It's just when summer comes early and you were under prepared.

• Like 1

Which is better... HPS or LED....which gives a bigger yield?

HPS is bigger yield, LED is better quality, quality LED can yield as much as HPS while using less power. But HPS is cheaper to buy, Perfect Sun LED comes close to the yield of HPS light but be prepared to ship it in and pay a kak load.

Go for a 400w HPS to start off with

Sent from my G3312 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input guys, my 600w HPS is on the way.

I’ve decided to build the cabinet slightly larger (1m x 1.4m x 1.7m). With 6” active exhaust (venting into roof space) and passive intake, I’ll make the intake in such a way that I can add a fan if it’s needed. 

Ideally I would like to split the cabinet in two (veg and flower) at a later stage when my budget allows for a second light. Obviously this does not need to be another 600w HPS, I might just go for a few CFL’s for the Veg-chamber.

This is going to be a cheap Frankenstein build (apart from the light - still cheap, just not Frankenstein) with stuff I have around the farm. 

I’ve started my super soil (the GLO way) but I would like to start growing before it’ll be done cooking. Can I start in FF Premium and then switch to the living soil when I transplant (probably right before flipping)?

What amendments (if any) should I add to the FF premium to last me through Veg?

Edited by Zaskar09

Which is better... HPS or LED....which gives a bigger yield?

How big a grow do you want to do? You can save allot of money on running cost with Led. Electricity costs are increasing. With HPS you have to invest in larger fans and maybe an cooling system. All these have added energy costs. But that is for you to decide.

• Like 1

How big a grow do you want to do? You can save allot of money on running cost with Led. Electricity costs are increasing. With HPS you have to invest in larger fans and maybe an cooling system. All these have added energy costs. But that is for you to decide.

I can attest to this. I'm running a Gavita 6/750 and with summer coming up next year I'll need to purchase a portable AC to help with cooling

Sent from my G3312 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the input guys, my 600w HPS is on the way.
I’ve decided to build the cabinet slightly larger (1m x 1.4m x 1.7m). With 6” active exhaust (venting into roof space) and passive intake, I’ll make the intake in such a way that I can add a fan if it’s needed. 
Ideally I would like to split the cabinet in two (veg and flower) at a later stage when my budget allows for a second light. Obviously this does not need to be another 600w HPS, I might just go for a few CFL’s for the Veg-chamber.
This is going to be a cheap Frankenstein build (apart from the light - still cheap, just not Frankenstein) with stuff I have around the farm. 
I’ve started my super soil (the GLO way) but I would like to start growing before it’ll be done cooking. Can I start in FF Premium and then switch to the living soil when I transplant (probably right before flipping)?
What amendments (if any) should I add to the FF premium to last me through Veg?
How long are you cooking the soil for? Freedom farms are will be excellent choice to start you plants in. I use vermicompost and perlite to start seeds in. Works wonders.

@SkunkPharm  Planning for a minimum of two months.

I’m not sure how long I’m going to Veg (this is my first grow) but I’d rather stick with the FF for this whole run if my soil hasn’t cooked long enough yet.

Cabinet still needs to be built and my seeds were just ordered this morning while soil is already cooking for about a week, so I should be ok.

24 minutes ago, SkunkPharm said:

How long are you cooking the soil for? Freedom farms are will be excellent choice to start you plants in. I use vermicompost and perlite to start seeds in. Works wonders.

Was thinking of Jiffy pellets to start them, yay/nay?