Trying ultrasonic mister for cloning

highchome

I've just made a clone box from some supplies I had lying around.
I'm trying an ultrasonic mister as I've heard that they work as well as a bubblers.

The mister is floating in a block of polystyrene to ensure its always at the required depth, I've got a small fish tank heater running at ~22 C and a single cool white 15w CFL.

Lets see if I get any roots in the next week...

2019-05-02_18-53.png.9b813697e04124e6b8112114ad622163.png                                     2019-05-02_18-53_3.png.87f33311d4cd9f26d6be07beb14c7ee7.png

I had a cover over the plants but it was not closed so there was no "humidity dome".
The kush clones (top row in pic) all wilted terribly overnight. I've made a proper dome and cut the leaves in half (suggested multiple places online, to reduce transpiration). 

Within an hour the clones are already less droopy. 

• 2 weeks later...

The bubbler is way simpler and seems to be working very well. 

Its as ridiculously DIY as possible :classic_tongue:

2019-05-15_bubbler.png.1f409104b46acbeb83dc1c84a5631e1e.png

• Small CFL light in ice cream container resting on the lid
  • Two plastic containers of the same size make a good humidity dome
  • Bottom one filled with water
  • Fish tank air-stone + air-pump 
  • Fish tank heater at 21C
  • Two ice-cream containers with holes cut in them floating in the water. I've used polystyrene to make plugs for the holes and hold the seedling stems. 
  • Stems are in the water. (I've seen it done both ways, in the water was simpler and seems to be working fine for me)

I did end up using the ultrasonic mister, on for 15 mins every hour, to keep the humidity up. But I'm sure that misting by hand would work just as well

My first 5 white widow clones from the bubbler about to be planted :classic_happy:

2019-05-15_bubbler2.png.1b48520f50b98c4c84f52c082a1cf13d.png

Edited by highchome
  • Like 1

Congrats on your roots! Well done, Nice little cloner, I have to build a little DIY setup as well. Buying rockwool gets old fast! :-rolled

With clones I usually keep dome closed day or two (only opening to mist), then about 25% open for a day, I increase it every day by about 25% until clones harden off.

Edited by Dank
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Dank said:

With clones I usually keep dome closed day or two (only opening to mist), then about 25% open for a day, I increase it every day by about 25% until clones harden off.

Interesting thanks. I've been adding new clones so I've kept it closed the whole time. But yeah at least one of the clones did not look that great after planting in soil. I'm now letting them root under very weak lighting, I'll see if that helps

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, highchome said:

Interesting thanks. I've been adding new clones so I've kept it closed the whole time. But yeah at least one of the clones did not look that great after planting in soil. I'm now letting them root under very weak lighting, I'll see if that helps

Just like seedlings in a veggie garden, clones usually get hardened off to the humidity, temps and also light intensity. Going from a cfl to a hps can really stress a clone out, as well as going from high humidity to lower, etc. You can harden clones to the light and temps in a similar fashion. Expose them to the room that they will grow in for a hour or two, if the wilt before then move them back straight away. If they seem happy increase the time in the room the next day by a hour or two. You will notice your clones enjoying their new home more and more, usually 5 days to a week does the trick. Bear in mind I haven't grown much indoors in a while now so other growers can feel free to correct me! :-rolled

Edited by Dank
Added extra info about hardening off clones
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1