Seed and germination

Hi again guys 

So I’m due to have seeds delivered this week.

In terms of then what anyone got good advice!? 

I’m setting up a small 2 plant setup - fully for personal. 

My thoughts are 2 seedlings - one in each tent - one to grow through - one to then be mother 

questions:

What’s best way of germinating / getting seeds growing? Led process / pot / timeline - what do I do!? 

am I over complicating and should just grow 2 to flower rather than a “mother” and 2 tent setup for personal? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey bro,

So my personal opinion, setup two tent's if you want a perpetual grow/harvest.

You could germinate both seeds, and then make clones at a later stage for the second tent which is veg only, once you have decided on the size of your plants and are happy you can move them to the flower tent.

For me personally, i tried germinating seeds by soaking in water, then the paper towel method. I wasn't able to spend enough time at home and as a result the paper towel dried and i lost about 4 seeds. If you have purchased seeds you know that's not a small loss. Anyway, moving on i planted the seeds directly into seedling mix from GTHydro, put the small pots into a humidity dome and left them for a few days, and had a 100% success rate on those seeds. so that now becomes my preferred germination method.

Watch your plants as they grow, and as you notice developments on the plants, ask uncle G about what you are seeing, and research as much as you can, even ask questions on here. You will eventually get a feeling for when your plants need to be moved from pots etc..

Also, keep a grow diary of when you last watered/how much feed etc for your refrence down the line, also make sure you can identify which plant is which and when you do clone, which clones come from which mother's.

All in all, have fun and learn, enjoy the journey.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2019 at 7:48 PM, LukeS said:

Hey bro,

So my personal opinion, setup two tent's if you want a perpetual grow/harvest.

You could germinate both seeds, and then make clones at a later stage for the second tent which is veg only, once you have decided on the size of your plants and are happy you can move them to the flower tent.

For me personally, i tried germinating seeds by soaking in water, then the paper towel method. I wasn't able to spend enough time at home and as a result the paper towel dried and i lost about 4 seeds. If you have purchased seeds you know that's not a small loss. Anyway, moving on i planted the seeds directly into seedling mix from GTHydro, put the small pots into a humidity dome and left them for a few days, and had a 100% success rate on those seeds. so that now becomes my preferred germination method.

Watch your plants as they grow, and as you notice developments on the plants, ask uncle G about what you are seeing, and research as much as you can, even ask questions on here. You will eventually get a feeling for when your plants need to be moved from pots etc..

Also, keep a grow diary of when you last watered/how much feed etc for your refrence down the line, also make sure you can identify which plant is which and when you do clone, which clones come from which mother's.

All in all, have fun and learn, enjoy the journey.

When do you remove the seedlings from the humidity dome and put them into the big boy growing area?

As soon as the first 2 proper leaves have started sprouting?

@PsyCLown 

Hi PsyClown,

I’m in PTA so similar environment. My germination process (100% success (ie 2 out of 2 😂)):

I soaked my seeds for twelve hours, thereafter I planted them in Jiffy Pellets with a humidity dome and removed the dome as soon as they sprouted.

I kept the pellets moist at all times by placing them in a pot tray with a bit of water once a day for about two minutes. The pellet soaks up however much water it needs.

Once the first roots poked out the bottom they got transplanted into small pots.

That’s pretty much where I am now and they seem to be doing well.

D384F408-5512-42AE-9837-9E4CB38EB182.jpeg

Edited by Zaskar09
  • Like 2

I soak in water

I put in paper wet paper towel into zip lock bag, I then place bag on top of my fibre router (it gets hotter than my wireless )

I then place into pot with soil and add light

I do not place them into a dome either, I am in jhb as well, I mist them once a day if i remember and that's it.

1B820C84-DD44-410D-87FB-5F70A6E3EC5C.JPG

• Like 1

Alright good to know, thanks guys.

I have some rapid rooter on the way. I got some bag seed from friends who smoke the cheaper stuff to mess around with, put 6 seeds into paper towel and wet them. Covered with a plate and left then for a few days and all sprouted.

With the proper seeds I'm thinking of soaking them in water for upto 24 hours, the. Putting them into a rapid rooter and probably putting the rapid rooter into a humidity dome until I see some leaves and the. Placing the rapid rooter into a pot with soil.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My method is also along the same lines and have pretty close to 100% success rates - besides a few along the way that were probably due to other factors as the rest in those batches have sprouted 

I soak for 12-24 hours and dump into a moist light soil 

No humidity dome just make sure the soil stays moist 

Within 3-5 days theyre up 🙌🙏🔥

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Oolong83 said:

Im doing a humidity dome germination for the first time, I've also just soaked them in water for 24hrs then place in paper-towel a keep damp. Once sprouted plant to soil.

waiting to see how the dome compares to my previous method.

441F86CD-9889-4421-8779-A1DF31DE9683.jpeg

I just used a dome and some rapid rooters to get 13 seeds going and worked a charm!

You can look into my grow diary if you'd like to see, basically from seed to first leaves in 5 days. I had a heating pad and a heater in the room which I feel helped.

16 minutes ago, GGG said:

Hi, looking for advise on germinating seeds from 1992, tried 5 but to no avail.... Any tricks maybe?

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

Germinating seeds from 1992?? Please tell us more about these seeds

How were these seeds stored?

I didn't tell much I see, well mostly seeds from in the 90's, Rooibaard, Swazi, Malawi Cob , Lesotho, TK (Transkei) and a strain we called light green (might be Lesotho). Would love for them to sprout.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk