ORGANIC Grow help required

Livefree

Hi Ladies and Gents - looking for someone that has good to great grow knowledge, and that has seen or experienced this issue before - i have spent hours scouring the web, and found a bit of info, but conflicting......leaves are droopy and they not growing- funny though, overwatering and under watering and wind burn can all look the same from what i have seen on web images, but no solution forthcoming

So i bought the tent, the lights, the fans, soil nutrients ph/hygro meters, germinated 20 seeds, As a 1st time indoor grow person, i used bag seeds as i thought i would get my brain around it before spending the big bucks on the real deal seeds. Also, bag seeds means i may get a lot of males so now in a position to chuck those if /when they rear there heads.....Anyhow i have the following 1,2x1,2 x2m tent, 2 x cob cree 100w(pull 54w)  optic 1, i germinated (paper towel+bags method) then stuck the seeds into small cups for a week. i then used an 6500k 85w cfl to stretch them a few cm. i hardly watered them, but from what i see and have read i have overwatered them -

I am using the hydroponics store organic soil, and have had them 20 deg C @ night to 25 deg C day(give or take 2 deg either way) 

I transplanted from small 200mm cups to 1Ltr ish pots after a week, and started using the COBs - hanging at 60-75cm per manufacturer instructions

I have not given anything other than RO water between 6 and 6,5ph - and when i take ph reading water in and water out it differs by 0,15

They look sad - seeds popped on 12-14th so they been growing for 16 days - they look small, a tad asymmetrical(deformed), some have red/purple stems others green. Fan was on them but no gale.

So i watered them after leaving them for 4 days, soil was dry and watered again this morning, as if they were under watered it would show improvement by now surely, i am at a loss. i even sacrificed one really weird looking one (good cotyledons but seriously deformed true leaf)- it had a long root(amazingly so, for a small plant) good root ball, and soil was ever so slightly damp, so doesnt seem to be overwatered. I have given a mouthful here, but only to try illicit an informed response by giving all the info i could, 

looking forward to some comments - bin them and start over or preferably find out and fix

Thanks and

LIVE FREE

IMG-1684.JPG

IMG-1683.JPG

IMG-1679.JPG

IMG-1680.JPG

IMG-1681.JPG

IMG-1678.JPG

IMG-1674.JPG

IMG-1685.JPG

Hey bro,

So i am having my own problems, also with my first grow, but for my experience etc i would like to record what i think about the above.

To me it looks like some plants are getting nutrient burn, which would indicate the incorrect soil. Not sure if you are using seedling mix or you planted straight into (I guess normal soil?)?

Don't add nutes for the first 3 weeks, it will do more harm than good. Seagrow on foilage is fine, but somewhat unnecessary at that point.

If you did add nutes, perhaps flush, wait till dry and start watering again, plain water only, you can balance the PH if needed.

Hopefully they're not auto's

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I don't think he added nutes, he did say that he has only watered with RO water which is ph'd. I just think it may be the incorrect soil and it's burnt them, should try get a proper seedling mix.

As you are growing in soil, how are you adjusting the pH? This should be done with lemon juice for pH down and bicarb for pH up (Use bicarb slowly, very strong and adjusts the pH up very quickly.) <- This is all info given to me on this forum.

Hey Luke. I have done soil tests water in water out. Ph is perfect. Soil is organic supplied by hydroponic  shop in Claremont. Pricey but premium. I don’t need to ph up or down as I am using  RO water and tested with ph meter. Prior. So I have done my homework bud. Hence the long dialogue at the beginning of the post 

Like i said, I am mainly documenting my thoughts on your problem perhaps for later reference. 

I have also been told that RO strips too much out of the water, the more experienced organic growers are using de-chlorinated tap water (leave tap water in a bucket in the sun for a day or so and it will be de-chlorinated)

Hopefully someone has the answer you seek, I am not nearly versed enough to sing a song..

Looking at this, it looks like it has to be a case of pH or the soil being too hot. 

I run Freedom Farms from seedling and have never had these issues... But I'm not sure about that soil you're using.

What pH meter are you using? Digital? Liquid? One of those sticks that you poke in the soil (aka those things that don't work)

Hi tricochaser. It’s one of those yellow digital meters you buy online. The soil is from a local hydroponic shop and is an organic mix. - I buy into your suggestion- re nutrient hot as it’s the majority of them doing this (15 out of 20) one wouldn’t think that as bought from a reputable seller. But ph is also similar in the runoff as in the watering water itself. Maybe I will flush a few seedlings and see if that helps. Appreciate the comment

I had the same issues once when using a promix from hortishop but that was years ago now, it also wasn't the organic one. In my case the medium was far too hot with a ppm of 1500 being measured from the runoff, that caused lockouts and all sorts of kak just like what you're experiencing.

Are you sure that's their organic mix and not just the coco/perlite mix? It really doesn't look like there are any amendments in there. It honestly it just looks like coco and perlite. What do others think? If that's the case then it's best that it's treated as a hydroponic medium 

Have you got a TDS or EC meter?

Another bit of advice. Abort those seedlings that are coupled with other seedlings in one pot. The roots will interfere with each other and cause all sorts of problems later on

:-peace

Hi. Thanks for that. That is a very interesting statement- I don’t know what either ( organic vs coco ) look like. I was advised as a  1st timer that I should go organic soil and I paid while the guy put the bag in my bakkie. That would be hilarious- but would it make any difference at this stage. I was told not to amend for a month or until the 3rd node- also because organic has nutrients to last a month  - I hear you with double seedlings. I just ran out of pots as all the seeds popped and wasn’t expecting that. Bag seeds 6 months old.  I have an Ec tds meter but haven’t used it as yet.i thought that was hydro only. My mistake.  Not really sure what to do with it- but I’ll google it. Thanks for the comment 

I had the same issues once when using a promix from hortishop but that was years ago now, it also wasn't the organic one. In my case the medium was far too hot with a ppm of 1500 being measured from the runoff, that caused lockouts and all sorts of kak just like what you're experiencing.
Are you sure that's their organic mix and not just the coco/perlite mix? It really doesn't look like there are any amendments in there. It honestly it just looks like coco and perlite. What do others think? If that's the case then it's best that it's treated as a hydroponic medium 
Have you got a TDS or EC meter?
Another bit of advice. Abort those seedlings that are coupled with other seedlings in one pot. The roots will interfere with each other and cause all sorts of problems later on
:-peace
That looks like the hortishop's pro mix. But with less vermicompost. It looks like nutrient burn on some of those plants. I just start my organic runs in vermicompost and some perlite. Then transplant into soil mixes but I am no pro when it comes to organics.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Firstly, i just want to say thanks for the help to all those that shared their knowledge, awesomeness

I did a test today

i did a ph on my water - pre watering 

PH 6,01

TDS 35 ppm

Then i took a handful of my hydroponics shop bought soil(coco?) and poured the sample water through the soil 3 times

The container size i used is a small plastic cup with holes i cut in the base - the run off was

PH 6,9

TDS 275 ppm

That seems like a huge jump from 6 - 6,9

So any light that you'all can shed on that .... 

If it were up to me, i think flushing all medium in future prior to planting is probably a good thing...or no?

Interesting though, i bought organic soil, but had in my opinion, been given coco, now i am a 1st timer, so didnt think or know to think that what i was using was different - i never seen either side by side, but still think this should'nt have made any diffs at this stage, or am i wrong

When using Coco you need to pH you water down to at least 5.8 or even 5.6 in the beginning. I would also go with plain Coco and perlite for a starter medium, then transplant into promix. Or use jiffies or seedling starter soil or just plain worm castings and perlite for starting seeds. Once the are 2-3 weeks old the start Nutrients.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk