Heat Problems in Tent

I'm stuck in a bit of a predicament and I'm hoping for some advice from you fellow growers. I know that "personal use" is now mostly just a term to avoid arrest, but I grow purely for personal use and don't have the biggest disposable income to spend on my grow. With that said, I'm currently running the following which I've accrued over time:

- 4x4ft Tent running a 315W CMH and 200W LED alongside.
- 80x80cm Tent running a 100W COB and 150W LED alongside.

My veg tent (80x80) is mostly running at decent temperatures.

But my flowering tent is suffering with temps ranging on a cold day from 27'C to 33'C on a hot day. The ambient room temperature is generally around 23'C - 28'C - so I'm seeing on average a 5'C temperature increase in the tent. With lights off the temperatures are generally in the 25'C - 27'C range. 

I don't have the ability to run an air-conditioner, nor can I afford the cost to run COBs for a 4x4 space. So I'm currently looking at ways to reduce heat, while also not downgrading at all on the lighting. CMH tends to put out less heat than HPS, but I'm not sure if perhaps a 600W HPS in a cooltube or air cooled hood would reduce the temps at all - may still make them rise from what they are currently... But I have 2x 6" 400CFM fans that can be used in the setup.

The lights would be running at night and I would use an extractor to pull air from outside, through the light and then exhaust outside again.

Thoughts or recommendations? I'm also trying to see if I can find a friend to lend me a 600W air-cooled setup from to see what kind of temperatures I end up getting with it.

Anyone's experience with air cooled hoods/cool tubes and the most effective way to reduce temps on a running cost budget?

The simplest recommendation is wait another 3 weeks. Winter is well on its way. We are heading into a sweetspot now. 

Those temps already dont sound problematic. Cannabis likes growing in the range you say imo.

Edited by Totemic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I also suffer the same issue. It's my nemesis with growing in the lowveld and its one I can't fight in the summer. Like you, I can't afford to run an AC. In Nov,Dec,Jan my flower tent was hitting temps of 38 consistently. Some nights 40 because the ambient temp outside was around 32! 

All we can do is wait for winter. I used to hate winter... not anymore lol. If ventilation is sorted, the only way to reduce heat is an AC

7 minutes ago, 420SA said:

I also suffer the same issue. It's my nemesis with growing in the lowveld and its one I can't fight in the summer. Like you, I can't afford to run an AC. In Nov,Dec,Jan my flower tent was hitting temps of 38 consistently. Some nights 40 because the ambient temp outside was around 32! 

All we can do is wait for winter. I used to hate winter... not anymore lol. If ventilation is sorted, the only way to reduce heat is an AC

When running at those high temps do you experience any problems? Or what I actaully wanted to ask, what problems?

My setup also generally run very hot due to the uninsulated zink roof, only problem I had was little serrated parts of leaves curling up... Would also imagine a high temp in the room can dry out the plants to quickly leaving nutrients in the soil that has not been absorbed, one could probably counter this by feeding with clean water every now and then?

1 hour ago, Stoukie said:

When running at those high temps do you experience any problems? Or what I actaully wanted to ask, what problems?

Hot temps can lead to airy bud, prolonged maturity, reduced yield and in some cases burn (mostly due to lights)

A common feature of my plants is upward cupping of the leaves which is the first sign of heat stress The edges will turn upwards as too much transpiration occurs. The leaves also tend to get crispier and more brittle

Definitely something you wanna avoid. Keeping the roots at a more stable temp by watering more often can help the situation a bit but yea... only a bit

• Like 1

11 hours ago, greenkush said:

Are you running the driver inside or outside the tent? Reduce the wattage and get them closer.

ive got it outside my space, i have it dimmed down to about 60-70%. Hitting 30C when outside temps are 26C+

8 hours ago, CG420za said:

Awe bru, congrats. I think we have the same panel.

From Meijiu?

Edited by YourStonedBuddy